walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

sexist womens gear

Re: sexist womens gear

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:18 pm

vixi_s wrote:It's so annoying isn't it that we are pushed into these little boxes, if you are a man you must only want to wear dull colours and if you are a woman ofcourse all you will be interested in is pastel shades of pink!

So interesting what someone said above about a tent being marketed as a "womans tent" how on earth does that work!!!???

I've got two boys and we all regularly despair when clothes shopping for them as all they get in the boys section is boring navy and green trousers and dinosaur t shirts, so we've ended up going in the girls section where all the fun sequin, shiny, frilly, rainbow, unicorn stuff is - why wouldnt you want that stuff if you were a kid of either sex, never met a kid yet who would rather have the nice sensible boring plain t shirt over the one covered in glitter and sparkles!

100% agree. When my son was growing up, we struggled to find him clothes that didn’t make him look like a miniature soldier.

Now he’s older he is keen on fashion, whereas my daughter wears the drabbest things she can find.

My Paramo jacket is a woman’s, just because the fit seemed good. I have no idea why manufacturers do separate colour ranges for men’s’ and women’s’ outdoor gear.
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby Booga » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:37 pm

HalfManHalfTitanium wrote:I have no idea why manufacturers do separate colour ranges for men’s’ and women’s’ outdoor gear.

There are probably a few brands for whom the casual wearer/fashion/lifestyle market brings in more money than those buying their gear to wear on the hill, so this may influence their choices in what colours they release every season.

I'm another one who would like to see some more interesting men's gear.
Booga
Ambler

Hewitts:10
Wainwrights:5   Islands:12

Postby Marty_JG » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:36 am

Not least as highly-saturated primary colours are easier for mountain rescue to spot.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby Spade » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:37 pm

You could try some ex military gear, tends to be very good, doesn’t cost the earth like the designer stuff. Worth a look if nothing else .
Spade

Munros:80   Corbetts:5

Postby goral85 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:02 am

bydand_loon wrote:if my wife wants drab colours, she goes to fjallraven

Great brand, unfortunately like Klatermussen very inaccessible in terms of pricing. I guess all Scandi brands are expensive due to their main target markets.
goral85
Mountain Walker

Munros:38   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:11   

Postby goral85 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:04 am

vixi_s wrote:Looking to get some new walking gear and so annoyed and frustrated at what's out there for women. Everything in pink, purple and teal, where's the olive, brown, grey stuff that the men all get. I love the cut of mens outdoor gear as well, all the womens stuff is nipped in at the waist and short on the body, tight round the legs, I'm not after showing off my body on a bloody hill walk! Apart from buying mens small sizes of decent gear does anyone have any suggestions for decent womens outdoor stuff?

Patagonia and Rab. They have a decent selection of colours for both genders as well as fits. Especially Patagonia, their Regular fit is very relaxed and the Relaxed fit is uuuuuuge (that comes from a pretty big guy like me so you better believe :lol: )
goral85
Mountain Walker

Munros:38   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:11   

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk