walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Wicking socks...

Wicking socks...

Postby matt_outandabout » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:36 pm

My wife keeps getting really hot feet - I don't think the lush merino socks are helping...

Back in the day I have had some CoolMax hiking socks and similar. Suggestions for similar now please?

Size 3 if it matters...
matt_outandabout
Wanderer

Munros:81   Corbetts:29
Fionas:22   Donalds:26
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:191
Wainwrights:176   Islands:30

Re: Wicking socks...

Postby Mal Grey » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:56 pm

matt_outandabout wrote:My wife keeps getting really hot feet - I don't think the lush merino socks are helping...

Back in the day I have had some CoolMax hiking socks and similar. Suggestions for similar now please?

Size 3 if it matters...

I still use the good old Bridgedale Coolmax liner socks, plenty of places still stock them in packs of two. Those are really thin though, so only suitable for shorter summer walks in approach shoes on their own, or as designed as a liner sock.

I find the Decathlon socks pretty good even in warm weather, though the shorter ones are often found in the running section rather than the walking one. Something like these, though not sure if they're the exact ones; https://www.decathlon.co.uk/nh500-mid-x-2-pairs-grey-id_8358985.html

Are we talking all day mountain walks, or more casual lower stuff? I still use thicker socks for the hills, with the liners, as I just find I want the cushioning. For more general trekking I can get away with a single pair of lightish midweight shorter socks.

The biggest factor I find for getting sweaty feet is Gore-Tex or other waterproof linings, no fully waterproof membrane can breath well enough when combined with the thickness of boot fabrics. I feel so much better in my mesh Merrells than in the same model with GTX, in all moderately dry conditions.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby jacob » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:12 pm

Mal Grey wrote:
matt_outandabout wrote:
I find the Decathlon socks pretty good even in warm weather, though the shorter ones are often found in the running section rather than the walking one. Something like these, though not sure if they're the exact ones; https://www.decathlon.co.uk/nh500-mid-x-2-pairs-grey-id_8358985.html

I think you' re referring to the MH 500, as the NH 500 has cotton in it.
jacob

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:19

Postby matt_outandabout » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:39 pm

Mal - generally days out, from Munro to loch shore.

I can't persuade out of fortress goretex boots, and to be fair wet feet are pretty miserable.

The decathlon ones might work.
matt_outandabout
Wanderer

Munros:81   Corbetts:29
Fionas:22   Donalds:26
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:191
Wainwrights:176   Islands:30

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk