walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Waterproof hiking boots or ....

Waterproof hiking boots or ....

Postby Themasterpiece » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:48 pm

Hello

My girlfriend and I are quite new to hiking and have done about 20 days in total, hiking and camping in Norway and Sweden (where we live). I'm asking the question on this forum as I'm guessing the response on a Swedish forum will be to buy something Swedish as they are generally think it must be the best, which is admirable but sometimes misguided (my experience is the quality is good but it's always HEAVY and very expensive).

So far we have been hiking on marked trails between May and August with some rain as one may expect with no problems. However, we just did four days in Sarek national park in lapland, hiking where there are no trails through wet heather, low bushes, marsh land etc and our hiking boots were wet through within half an hour. Luckily the temperatures were decent (15 C+) and sun hardly set and we got some warmth to dry things out, and we managed.

Our boots are not the most expensive, but North Face Sakura mid GTX (mine) and Merrel Moab 2 mid GTX (hers), both gore-tex.

I read on here or elsewhere to "test" the waterproofness by filling them with water, which I did to one of mine just now and it was leaking from the sides about an inch above the sole. Seems 20 days is quite quick for a gore-tex layer to break down?

I think we will largely plan to hike in the shoulder season of May and mid-August onwards as the mosquitos are horrendous in June and July. So generally plus degree temperatures in the day, but likely rain and the potential for a bit of snow (but not hiking through anything more than a cm or two probably), and could be below 5 C in the nights.

I've read posts on the forum of trail runners + Rocky gore-text socks which sounds appealing although I have hard enough time getting on normal socks and those gore-text socks sound like a nightmare.

Happy to spend money on some Lundhags, Meindl, Alfa boots but don't want to spend the best part of £300-400 on boots and end up in the same wet feet situation... Also, the 100 g on the foot = 500 g on the back thing gets me thinking about other solutions.

Any advice welcome, including tips on drying boots out if the temperature is only 5 - 10 C outside the tent.

Thanks!
Themasterpiece
Backpacker

Re: Waterproof hiking boots or ....

Postby Spade » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:17 pm

I've tried a few boots over the years, Meindl, The North Face and Asolo. All gortex, I have found all to be great, look for a surrounding rand round the boot which helps with the sealing against leaks. . The main reason being I went to the boot shop and had them fitted and tried them on. I am a 43 but always get a 44 for sock fitting and for mountain decent so you don't stub your toes and lose toe nails . Good liner sock and good merino bridgedale sock makes a great foot care set up. Check the weight of the boot, you don't want 2 tonne weights - especially when wet!!. Also check the height of the boot- your ankles will suffer at the achilleas if not correct.
The best advice is definitely go to a good boot shop and find someone who will give you the correct advice and boot and not be just looking for a sale!.
Spade

Munros:80   Corbetts:5

Postby davekeiller » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:56 pm

It's worth looking at how many seams there are on the boots. Basically, the more stitching, the more weak points in the construction, and the more likely it is that they will eventually leak.
I think that cleaning and proofing boots is helpful to maintain the waterproofness.
I also find that wearing gaiters can sometimes also be helpful as they stop water running in through the top of the boot.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby kenncunn » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:17 pm

A pair of non gortex trail shoes with a pair of waterproof socks I find to be the best. The problem with goretex is if you get water in your shoes or boots it can't escape so wet feet also as you said it breaks down easily.
kenncunn
Mountaineer

Postby jamiecopeland » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:48 pm

Altberg boots. One piece of leather. I’ve fell in a few streams while crossing them and despite my foot being fully submerged I never once got wet feet.
jamiecopeland

Postby Alteknacker » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:48 pm

jamiecopeland wrote:Altberg boots. One piece of leather. I’ve fell in a few streams while crossing them and despite my foot being fully submerged I never once got wet feet.

Yes, I'd second that. I've found my Altbergs astonishingly waterproof, especially in combination with gaiters to prevent water getting in the top. Done a full day's walking in wet weather through long grass etc, and still had dry feet at the end of the day.

BUT: If it's not too cold, if you have the right socks, wet feet don't need to be a problem. I only wear approach shoes from Spring to Autumn, so I often get pretty wet feet. Quite a few folk (including me) find that 1000 mile socks prevent blisters, even after a day's walking with wet feet.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Booga » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:23 am

I have boots where the goretex has failed but 20 days use does sound rather poor. If the boots are still within warranty I would suggest returning them to the retailer.

Out of interest is the leak anywhere near a flex point in the boot? From my experience the membrane often fails where it has been flexed repeatedly.
Booga
Ambler

Hewitts:10
Wainwrights:5   Islands:12

Postby weaselmaster » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:23 pm

My life has been transformed by using a pair of goretex boot liners (about £10 off eBay, army surplus type)
Put them on over your socks and your feet stay dry whatever the state of your boots. This has been repeatedly put to the test in recent times on very boggy Marilyns :wink:

I have never found goretex boots that have stayed waterproof after more than 6 weeks of use, but these liners are superb and cheap. I don't use leather boots, so can't comment about that, but much prefer a lighter weight boot for trekking.

You do need to buy the appropriate size for your foot (usual shoe size I found) and realise that they do take up a little of the space inside your boot, so use with a thinner sock than usual.
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:196   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby Themasterpiece » Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:11 pm

Thanks for the responses. Good point about stitching around the flex points. And I’ll look for one-piece leather boot options - see if I can find something in Sweden given Yorkshire (Altberg) is a bit of a trek :)
Themasterpiece
Backpacker

Postby stinker » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:27 am

These maybe a little bit nearer to you than Yorkshire https://www.altberg.co.uk/stockists/id/4/lm-norwaybr-norway/

Any good?
stinker
Walker

Postby mcbultra » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:36 pm

Non-Waterproof might be the way to go

I have Karrimor Summits and crossed burns with the, they were soaking but still comfortable to walk in for at least 8 miles and they dried out in the awning of the tent within 12 hours

My partner did the same in a pair of Karrimor trail runners, no problem

Thinking of upgrading to the Merrell Moab 2 Vent once these ones bite the dust

Never seen the point of gore-tex/waterproofing for the walking I want to do during Spring, Summer and Autumn, want something quick drying, lightweight, good grip, comfortable and relatively cheap

For Winter I you could invest in a pair of cheap non-lined boots and cover them a few times in alt-berg ledergris
mcbultra
Rambler

Munros:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby snickersjack » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:44 pm

Alteknacker wrote:
jamiecopeland wrote:Altberg boots. One piece of leather. I’ve fell in a few streams while crossing them and despite my foot being fully submerged I never once got wet feet.

Yes, I'd second that. I've found my Altbergs astonishingly waterproof, especially in combination with gaiters to prevent water getting in the top. Done a full day's walking in wet weather through long grass etc, and still had dry feet at the end of the day.

BUT: If it's not too cold, if you have the right socks, wet feet don't need to be a problem. I only wear approach shoes from Spring to Autumn, so I often get pretty wet feet. Quite a few folk (including me) find that 1000 mile socks prevent blisters, even after a day's walking with wet feet.

Totally agree! Altberg very good boots, but with good wool socks! Custom socks will not work with it - feet will be cold and wet.
snickersjack
Mountain Walker

Postby Marty_JG » Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:59 pm

snickersjack wrote:
Alteknacker wrote:

Totally agree! Altberg very good boots, but with good wool socks! Custom socks will not work with it - feet will be cold and wet.

A voice of experience? :lol:
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby snickersjack » Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:29 pm

Yeah, actually I always wear custom socks even at home, but here it doesn't work)
snickersjack
Mountain Walker

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk