walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Doggo GPS?

Doggo GPS?

Postby SMRussell » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:14 pm

We have a Border Terrier (pictured because I couldn't resist) who is just about 9 months old now. He's getting into the hills more and we're wondering whether a dog GPS might be worth getting. Generally we will have him on the lead as Borders can be little bampots, but would like to let him off some of the time. A GPS might offer some piece of mind.

Anyone have any experience with GPS devices designed for dogs and fancy sharing some thoughts?

Ta.

20200720_155649-COLLAGE.jpg
SMRussell

Munros:184   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:34
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:103   Islands:11

Re: Doggo GPS?

Postby KatTai » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:56 pm

I keep looking into them, the reliability of them is questionable and I haven't been convinced by any of them for the hills where a signal is sketchy. None seem good in woodlands either. And it would be no use if your boy goes down a rabbit hole, which border terriers seem to enjoy doing :lol:

I would really work on recall and look at whistle training, a whistle carries much further than your voice so can be better for a recall than your voice especially if it is windy which makes it harder to shout. Also consider having a high-vis on your dog to increase his visibility. At the moment, I really wouldn't be able to put my trust in any of the dog GPS trackers so if in doubt I keep my latest addition on the lead. She is good, but not quite good enough just yet. Another tip - give off lead time on the way down when perhaps your boy is a bit more tired and the initial excitement of exploring somewhere new has passed.
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:55   
Islands:32

Postby Backpacker » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:12 am

Have a look at Findster, doesn’t require a phone signal nor have a monthly sub obv you have a higher up front cost.

I’m guessing you’ve now found out that borders have a mind of their own and wilfully ignore you if there’s something better on the go?

I’ve got an 8m flexi attached to my rucksack with gives her a bit of freedom when we’re out and about
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:117
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby SMRussell » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:13 am

KatTai wrote: ... And it would be no use if your boy goes down a rabbit hole, which border terriers seem to enjoy doing :lol:

I would really work on recall and look at whistle training, a whistle carries much further than your voice so can be better for a recall than your voice especially if it is windy which makes it harder to shout. Also consider having a high-vis on your dog to increase his visibility. At the moment, I really wouldn't be able to put my trust in any of the dog GPS trackers so if in doubt I keep my latest addition on the lead. She is good, but not quite good enough just yet. Another tip - give off lead time on the way down when perhaps your boy is a bit more tired and the initial excitement of exploring somewhere new has passed.

Thanks Kat. Losing the little guy down a burrow has been a concern :shock: and why he'll likely be on the lead quite a lot.

We've done quite a bit of whistle training and working on his recall. We've had quite a lot of success but also a few blunders where the stubborn Border Terrier personality has taken over. One time he failed to respond to the whistle or his name because he'd found some delicious mushrooms he wanted to eat. After a bit of a panic we found that they were non-toxic and he was a-okay but it has made us a bit more cautious. Another time we took him to the coast, somewhere he's been quite a lot and is usually pretty well behaved. The moment the lead was off he bolted about 50 metres away to make friends with a St. Bernard. The whistle failed then too but watching our little pup bound around with a huge barrel of fur made up for it :lol:

Ace tip about letting him off lead when he's likely to be tired and calmer! Might give that a go.
SMRussell

Postby SMRussell » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:25 am

Backpacker wrote:Have a look at Findster, doesn’t require a phone signal nor have a monthly sub obv you have a higher up front cost.

I’m guessing you’ve now found out that borders have a mind of their own and wilfully ignore you if there’s something better on the go?

I’ve got an 8m flexi attached to my rucksack with gives her a bit of freedom when we’re out and about

Findster does look better than the other GPS devices we've looked at, thanks :D . Most seem to suffer the issues Kat mentioned in her comment. Though I expect it would still struggle if Goose did decide to head into a burrow!

My other half engaged in a lot of research and pondering before we got a Border Terrier so we anticipated the stubborn streak. It is why we've been pretty cautious having him off lead. I'm assuming you have a BT as well? Do you ever let her off the lead or is she on most of the time?

We've thought about getting a retractable lead but heard mixed reviews. It would be great to give him that extra freedom as you say. Will revisit that option.

Thanks again.
SMRussell

Postby Backpacker » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:22 pm

SMRussell wrote:
Backpacker wrote:Have a look at Findster, doesn’t require a phone signal nor have a monthly sub obv you have a higher up front cost.

Findster does look better than the other GPS devices we've looked at, thanks :D . Most seem to suffer the issues Kat mentioned in her comment. Though I expect it would still struggle if Goose did decide to head into a burrow!

My other half engaged in a lot of research and pondering before we got a Border Terrier so we anticipated the stubborn streak. It is why we've been pretty cautious having him off lead. I'm assuming you have a BT as well? Do you ever let her off the lead or is she on most of the time?

We've thought about getting a retractable lead but heard mixed reviews. It would be great to give him that extra freedom as you say. Will revisit that option.

Thanks again.

She gets a bit of freedom but she tends to spot deer, hares, rabbits and birds long before I do and has been known to scarper (I was left sat on a hillside for 2 hours while she was away chasing a hare) I've not had a problem with the retractable on her harness, just reel her in if I spot anyone coming towards me
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Postby SMRussell » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:39 pm

SMRussell wrote: piece of mind.

Oh how embarrassing. I meant "peace" not "piece" of mind :crazy:
SMRussell

Postby SMRussell » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:46 pm

Backpacker wrote:
She gets a bit of freedom but she tends to spot deer, hares, rabbits and birds long before I do and has been known to scarper (I was left sat on a hillside for 2 hours while she was away chasing a hare) I've not had a problem with the retractable on her harness, just reel her in if I spot anyone coming towards me

Exactly the kind of behaviour we're worried about. But at least she came back!

Thanks again. Definitely going to have another look at retractable leads.
SMRussell

Postby Tringa » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:39 pm

We have a similar 'problem' with our crossed fell terrier. He has the typical stubborn streak and prey drive of his Patterdale inheritance and it looks as if his other genes come from a small sighthound.

His prey drive and that he gets startled by sudden sounds means he is always on an eight metre extender lead - https://flexi.de/en/products/giant-m-8m-tape-dog_lead_leash/

Clearly not a good for him as being free but it gives him a decent amount of range and seems to be much better than the 5m extender we had before.

Is there an inherent problem with doggy GPS devices? Out on the hill the satellites should be easily contactable.

I don't know if this would work but is it possible to use a cheap smartphone as a GPS device for your dog(the phone could be attached somehow to his harness) which might be better for locating him?

Dave
Tringa

Postby Backpacker » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:40 pm

Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Postby Marty_JG » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:25 pm

Tringa wrote:Is there an inherent problem with doggy GPS devices? Out on the hill the satellites should be easily contactable.

The problem isn't the doggy GPS knowing its location from the satellite, the problem is letting anyone else know. Think of it like this: with your smartphone in the hills you can almost always view your GPS location on your (presumably offline) map, but even so you might not be able to send SMS or make calls at that same location. And it's the dog "making a call" that lets you know where they are (doggie GPS typically use a 2G sim).

I think there's room in the market for a Doggie GPS that can also ping the satellite networks similar to Garmin's inReach but I don't know of one.

Other than that, this roundup seems pretty good:

https://www.rangersdog.com/best-dog-tracker-uk/
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby Tringa » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:46 am

Thanks Marty.

Dave
Tringa

Postby SMRussell » Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:15 pm

Backpacker, your BT is a gorgeous doggo!

We've bought an 8 metre Flexi. Great for letting Goose roam a bit and we can work on his recall some more knowing that he can't dart off after anything that takes his fancy. We've not tried it in the hills as yet as we've been introducing him to hill running and the Flexi wouldn't be good for that.

Anyway, quick question - how do you attach it to your rucksack? I was thinking of a screwgate onto the ice axe loop or possibly the hipbelt, though I wouldn't want to place pressure on the buckle, just in case. Hmmm. A bit of trial and error is in order.

IMG_20200804_160315870_2.jpg
Goose
SMRussell

Postby Marty_JG » Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:52 am

If I'm leashing the dog (e.g. sheep fields) I carabineer the leash to some loops of bungee cord on my belt (a bit of give is good if she tries to bolt).
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk