walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Trail /hiking trainers

Trail /hiking trainers

Postby xtina89 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:47 am

A few weeks ago I posted a topic requesting tips for combating blisters on while wearing my very heavy Scarpa SL Activ boots - and I got a lot of great advice (thank you to everyone who commented - lacing my boots in a specific way to prevent ankle slippage and the introduction to thousand mile socks have both been life savers!).

Once piece of advice was to consider ditching my boots altogether and to switch over to the dark side of trainers. Now, I don't think I'm quite ready to chuck my boots in the bin just yet - I still want to hang on to them for winter / rainy / boggy / pathless conditions (for the time being at least). But I have decided to get myself some good trail trainers for good pathed summer hikes.

So, for those of you who are trainers-on-munros converts: which ones have you gone for and why?
When it comes to boots, I have been very loyal to Scarpa for the past ten years but not sure how good their trainer game is.
xtina89
Mountain Walker

Munros:54   Corbetts:14
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:10   Islands:12

Re: Trail /hiking trainers

Postby Fiona Reid » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:40 pm

Generally whatever fits (first priority) and doesn't cost too much. The cost is less of a priority but given I can wreck a pair in 4 months (I walk a lot) I rarely spend much more than £50. When I find a style I like I keep a look out for sales and on eBay etc and just buy a few pairs to have in reserve.

There's different styles, some are very lightweight and less durable but comfy. Others are heavier and more durable but they can be almost the same weight as light boots. In the last few years I've mainly used Scarpa Neutron, More Mile Cheviot or similar as they fit me well and I can walk miles in them without issue. I did the Fisherfield Munro's wearing my Neutrons last week so no issues with long days.

I've not found anything that lasts a long time but in fairness I do cover a lot of ground. Some are better on rocks, others less so, the More Mile ones are awful on rocky ground, the sole lugs skitter everywhere but they are great on slippery grass etc.

Personally, I don't care about getting wet feet and now wear mine from late spring to autumn. Once it's cooler outside I find that wet feet make me cold so I go back to boots. In summer I actually seek out water to cool my feet down. When they get really minging I put them though the washing machine. Much less hassle than cleaning/ proofing boots.

Think about the terrain you're going to use them on and try some of pairs on.
Fiona Reid
Mountaineer

Munros:121   Corbetts:35
Fionas:219   Donalds:86
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:44
Wainwrights:61   

Postby WalkWithWallace » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:09 pm

I got fitted up in a local running shop. After trying on several pairs including: La Sportivas, Salomons and Altra Lone Peaks, I ended up getting myself a pair of the Saucony Peregrine ISOs as they were the most comfortable out of the other pairs I tried and the assistant watched me walk in them and said the also suited best.

They've got aggressive grippy soles, rock plates to protect your forefoot and good cushioning around the heel. More comfortable than my boots. 8)
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:192
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby goral85 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:55 pm

When it comes to trail running I'm partial to Hoka One One, I'd reckon they might be good for walking as well.
I've used the Challenger and Speedgoat models. They seem wide in the bottom but the mid foot fit is actually quite narrow. I have relatively wide feet (sometimes I get away with regular shoes sometime need 2E) so I wear the above models in the 'wide' version. Hope this helps!
goral85
Mountain Walker

Munros:35   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:11   

Postby akiggins » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:35 pm

I'm on my 3rd set of North Face Hedgehogs. Quick simply the best walking shoe I've every had. That said I've not got this year's model and the reviews are scary.

https://www.thenorthface.co.uk/shop/en-gb/tnf-gb/mens-hedgehog-fastpack-ii-waterproof-shoes-46am?variationId=BQW

Have North Face once more ruined something that was great...? idk

ymmv.
akiggins
Stravaiging

Munros:173   Corbetts:4
Islands:7

Postby akiggins » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:39 pm

Ah, just figured out the problem. North Face no longer make the Hedgehog GTX. Bloody typical, knew I should have bought 3 pairs...
akiggins
Stravaiging

Munros:173   Corbetts:4
Islands:7

Postby matt_outandabout » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:27 pm

So, for those of you who are trainers-on-munros converts: which ones have you gone for and why?

I made the move to trainers about 11 years ago. I do more hill days in trainer style footwear than my (like slippers) Salomon Alp-X Mid GTX.

I've used Salomon a lot, I used to find thier 'trainer with ankle bit' wonderfully comfortable. Mid-40's and my feet spread wider and I struggle to get in with thier trainers now. I also think they are so light and so soft rubber that they wear out too quickly. It wasn't a problem when I had supply of an endless line of sample shoes from the rep for minimum cost...but full price? No.

Adidas Terrex of various models offer a good compromise, really well made and grippiest soles I've ever used, using Continental rubber. Again, I'm finding them a touch narrow at times.

Best shape and mountain shoe I've used is a Brooks Cascadia in GTX and unlined flavour. They have a hidden plate in the insole, makes walking on rocks etc great, that the lighter Salomon and Adidas shoes struggled with. They have also lasted hundreds of miles of off-road running and hikes.

I've also had two pairs of Innov8. Nice shape, but pair one fell to bits *and* had a really noticeable seam on the heel - blister city. The pair I've got now are like the Salomon's just too Lightweight so wearing quickly and I can feel every rock underneath them.

I'm going back to Brooks Cascadia's next, with a pair of stretchy mini gators. To heck with the cost... brilliant hill shoes.

I swap back and forth depending on weather and route.
I'm fed up of the old-school and outdated 'ah, but big clumpy boots are better in the hills'. They aren't, they have thier place, but so do trainer things.
matt_outandabout
Wanderer

Munros:81   Corbetts:29
Fionas:22   Donalds:26
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:191
Wainwrights:176   Islands:28

Postby bydand_loon » Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:00 pm

I tend to wear trainers/runners more than anything these days, one thing to be aware of is the drop, my wife uses a zero drop shoe where as i prefer something in the 8 to 10 range, if you google it there is a lot of discussion and expert advice out there on the subject, theres a very good article somewhere online from an Aussie foot doctor/trail runner who explains it all.

A lot of people will tell you that Altra Lone peaks are the best thing since sliced bread (My Wife :D ), the zero drop isnt good for me after a day with a big bag on. If you get on with a zero drop though the Lone peaks & hokas are spot on. I'm a Brooks Cascadia fan boy, ive just done a 12 day trip in the 14s carrying a 9 to 12kg pack, outstanding blister free comfort and cool feet, even the two days i wore dexshell w/proof socks didnt detract from the comfort, i do wear dirty girls to keep out wee chuckies and bits of heather/bracken.

I'm also a big fan of the Adidas terrex swift r2 shoes (and boots),unfortunately mine are the goretex version and i don't wear them as much now, if they release a pair of the non goretex version in a decent colour i would definitely get another pair.

i too have a couple of pairs of Inov8's, rarely wear them, not sure why but i just like the Brooks and Adidas a lot more with the Brooks being top of the tree by quite a bit

as an add on, i started going a half size up with my hiking trainers, not something ive ever done with my boots (or normal trainers), and it seems to have worked quite well for me,
bydand_loon
Hill Bagger

Postby FulstoneFlyer » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:13 am

I have two pairs of trainers/low boots, both by Meindl because I have wide feet and have found that the 'Comfort Fit' range work really well for me. The Activa is a softer shoe with a more flexible mid sole that I use for the local walks on roads/paths whereas the Journey Pro GTX is more suited to Lakes/Dales type hiking. Both these are replacements from previous models and bought (mail order) this year during lockdown. Having time on my hands I learnt quite a bit about shoes/boots from the Trekitt product reviews on their Youtube channel and also from the Meindl.de website, their range is immense and not all available in the UK.

As an aside have also bought new summer and winter boot replacements this year, it's one area that I try not to think too much about the cost. Having had top quality (Zamberlan) but poor fitting boots in the past - "what price sore feet?"
FulstoneFlyer
Hill Bagger

Postby goral85 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:58 am

xtina89 wrote:A few weeks ago I posted a topic requesting tips for combating blisters on while wearing my very heavy Scarpa SL Activ boots - and I got a lot of great advice (thank you to everyone who commented - lacing my boots in a specific way to prevent ankle slippage and the introduction to thousand mile socks have both been life savers!).

Could you please point me to that bit of advice on lacing? After my most recent blisters (or rather literal holes in my ankles) I could use some advice :shock:
goral85
Mountain Walker

Munros:35   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:11   

Postby gman » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:23 pm

I got a pair of Sportiva Raptors on sale for £50 a few years ago to try trainers, bought them online so I was kind of guessing the size & fit. Headed up to the Cobbler to see what they were like and ended up doing Narnain and Ime as well :lol:. My second pair are fairly worn but you can't get them cheap anymore so I'll probably get some trail runners from Decathlon for £50ish. Wore the Raptors yesterday for a cycle in, pathless walk though bog, scramble over boulders, hung on the back of harness for a multipitch, back on to walk out 👍
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Postby prog99 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:30 pm

gman wrote:Wore the Raptors yesterday for a cycle in, pathless walk though bog, scramble over boulders, hung on the back of harness for a multipitch, back on to walk out 👍

I've been converted (due to an ankle injury) to some shandals by hi-tec(v-tec lite). You may laugh but they are dead light and have a good fell running style sole on them. Done plenty of munro days in them and as you mentioned above walking in for multi-pitch routes.

What route did you do yesterday?
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby gman » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:11 pm

prog99 wrote:What route did you do yesterday?

Colonel's Corner on Dungeon Hill, shoes are still drying :lol:

Corner 20-9-2020 12.jpg
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Postby prog99 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:21 pm

gman wrote:
prog99 wrote:What route did you do yesterday?

Colonel's Corner on Dungeon Hill, shoes are still drying :lol:

Nothing will keep your feet dry there, good effort its one on the ticklist.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby Dave S » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:01 pm

Brooks Cascadia were great for me. Not too good on steep grass and boggy ground but super comfy and secure on paths.
Dave S

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk