walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Trail /hiking trainers

Re: Trail /hiking trainers

Postby PeeCon88 » Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:52 pm

This is all brand new to me, initially started out as someone who jist wanted to do a bit of trail running up the campsies or round Strathclyde Park.
I attempted my first Munro, Beinn Chabhair, last week and done so in a pair of Saucony Peregrine 11 trail running trainers.
Personally, I think they're fantastic
PeeCon88
Ambler

Munros:5   

Postby WalkWithWallace » Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:45 am

PeeCon88 wrote:This is all brand new to me, initially started out as someone who jist wanted to do a bit of trail running up the campsies or round Strathclyde Park.
I attempted my first Munro, Beinn Chabhair, last week and done so in a pair of Saucony Peregrine 11 trail running trainers.
Personally, I think they're fantastic

I've got the Saucony Peregrine ISO runners, and they're the most comfortable shoes I've worn, grippy too on wet grass, mud and rock. Sadly I can barely get 200 miles out of a pair. :(
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:192
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby Jon and Jen » Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:40 pm

Not a runner type shoe but I just bought my second pair of merrell moabs. Tried a lot of others but these work well for me. My last pair lasted the longest of any others I've had in my life. Prefer my Salomon boots for hills myself but the merrells are an excellent shoe. Can usually be got for around £70
Jon and Jen
Mountain Walker

Munros:37   Corbetts:7
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   

Postby AyrshireAlps » Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:55 am

Asics Fujitrabuco, only because I've ran a good few ultramarathons in them, so know they're comfy, last, and don't give me bother.

I only wear boots if it's particularly wet/boggy these days, and in winter obvs.

GTX version great for keeping out water, but if you have to cross a river or the likes, they'll stay wet. Non GTX the opposite, I flit between both dependant on what I'm doing.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby Veryhappybunny » Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:49 am

Fit is key.
I have good experiences with Salomon, Inov8 and Adidas. My latest were Adidas Terrex, but they only lasted 7 months before developing a hole in the upper: great grip and really comfy though.
I’d also be wary of some cheap lightweight boots in the wet: I briefly used £19 Aldi boots, which were great in the dry, but soaked up water like a sponge and ended up weighing a ton!
Also it’s not necessary to just use trainers every day, you can put on more robust boots for cold and wet days.
Veryhappybunny
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:158
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:90
Wainwrights:163   Islands:8

Postby cruachan06 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:02 pm

AyrshireAlps wrote:Asics Fujitrabuco, only because I've ran a good few ultramarathons in them, so know they're comfy, last, and don't give me bother..

Got a pair of them myself and they're great, got them for 50% off at Wiggle a couple of years back. Initially bought them for trail running around Chatelherault Country Park and doing the Run the Blades 10K at Whiteless Wind Farm but now using them for walking as well. Light and comfy but rugged enough for protection from rocks, tree roots etc. Plus the "lace garage" as Asics call it (just a pocket on the tongue for the laces!) keeps them clean and dry and so easy to undo even in bad weather.
cruachan06
Walker

Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2

Postby matt_outandabout » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:01 pm

xtina89 wrote:
So, for those of you who are trainers-on-munros converts: which ones have you gone for and why?

I have used Salomon for many years, up many Munro's and DofE group chasing. Great, but narrow and not as durable.

I am now in Brooks as my feet widened, I find the Cascadia a good balance of waterproof, sole plate to stop rocks feeling like they are coming through, and wider forefoot than Salomon. They are also much more durable in sole and upper. Not cheap though.

I still wear boots in wet conditions - either route, weather or snow. Again though, these are lightweight Salomon Alp-X Mid's which I love.
matt_outandabout
Wanderer

Munros:81   Corbetts:29
Fionas:22   Donalds:26
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:191
Wainwrights:176   Islands:28

Postby SteveNorthumberland » Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:47 am

I wear altra lone peak 5’s and also have a pair altra king mt’s it took me a while to transition to zero drop shoes (no height difference from heel to toe).

My Altra’s are very light very comfortable and allow my toes to spread out in the footbox. They are not waterproof but even when soaked through they don’t take long to dry.

What this thread does show is that we all have a pair of boots or several but we all use a lighter shoe in general and for long walks I now won’t wear anything else, I did the west highland way in my altra lone peaks and never regretted that decision.
SteveNorthumberland
Backpacker

Islands:12

Postby caromiri » Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:20 pm

Hi there, I use the Sportiva Akashas and love them (lightweight and cushy) but they run very small, so I am usally a EUR 38 and had to order a EUR 39.5 in Sportiva (!). Last year, I used the ;Salomon Women's Trail Running Shoes, XA PRO 3D ' on the Cape Wrath Trail. They served me very well - they are sturdier than the Akashas but also a tad heavier. When it comes to comfort, l prefer the Akashas, but the XA Pro 3D are definitely more anti-slippery - I did not slip once.

Hope this helps. I am a complete convert now for trailrunners and also walked in snowy conditions. My personal view is:

- most of the time, you get wet feet anyways, whether boots or trailrunners, but trailrunners dry faster and the water also 'escapes'
- they are lighter and so you never get tired. I used to walk the Alps in Meindel boots and after a week I was so tired of heavy boots on my feet

Hope this helps :)
caromiri
Walker

Postby chrisv » Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:26 pm

goral85 wrote:When it comes to trail running I'm partial to Hoka One One, I'd reckon they might be good for walking as well.
I've used the Challenger and Speedgoat models. They seem wide in the bottom but the mid foot fit is actually quite narrow. I have relatively wide feet (sometimes I get away with regular shoes sometime need 2E) so I wear the above models in the 'wide' version. Hope this helps!

+1 for the Hokas. I use the Challengers when road running and use the Speedgoats for hill walking. Just completed the Dales High Way in Speedgoats with no issues. If I think a route will require more grip I opt for Inov-8 Mud Claws though.

I also switched to 'toe socks' from Injini and Decathlon to avoid any toe to toe blisters that I would get occasionally from lots of traversing in narrow fitting (for me) Mud Claws.

Not tackled a hill in a pair of boots for a few years now (and they were a pair of Mud Claw GTX boots).
chrisv
Mountain Walker

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk