walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Nature Hike Cloud Peak 2

Nature Hike Cloud Peak 2

Postby BattleFrog » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:16 pm

Hi,

Does anyone have any experiences of this tent, specifically how it performs in high winds camping fairly high up just below summits in slightly more sheltered locations than summits themselves.

Or any other suggestions for low cost tents that perform well in bad weather up to around £300.

Cheers
BattleFrog
Mountaineer

Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:20   

Re: Nature Hike Cloud Peak 2

Postby Marty_JG » Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:56 am

I have the Cloud-Peak 2 and love it. An "embarrassment of space" for me & the dawg. But heavy at 2.6kg trail.

I put longer guys (Lawson Equipment glowire, glow-in-the-dark mini-Linelocs) on and looped them back to the poles via c-clips I bought on EBay (though I would say they're more like n-clips). The poles are good quality aluminium, very flexible, but only 7mm. I have them on another Naturehike tent and they never snapped even in very high winds. Other owners have upgraded poles to 9mm DAC Featherlight and I'm tempted to do the same. I haven't hit any very high wind but what winds I have had the tent is immune to it. I do like the fact it's an exoskeleton design means the silnyon remains taught even if it gets wet. (Let alone the all-in-one pitching, very fast and good for pitching in rain).

If you don't mind a tension tent instead of freestanding, consider the LanShan 2 (original 2 skin or pro single skin). Peg them in properly and they're basically immune to wind.

Rumour has it a Hilleberg 2-man bombproof shelter will be for sale in these forums in the coming days so keep an eye open.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby BattleFrog » Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:33 pm

Thanks for the response, your thoughts on the tent are very helpful. Some extra guying out seems like a good low cost upgrade. Interested by your thoughts on the lanshan as it’s definitely a tent I’ve looked at. Would you say it’s more wind/weather proof than the cloud peak 2 because the weight is definitely appealing.

Also thanks for the heads up on a potential Hilleberg definitely have to keep an eye out for that one!
BattleFrog
Mountaineer

Postby Marty_JG » Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:10 pm

Another tent by Naturehike, new for 2020, is the Cloud-Wing 2, it's an exoskeleton tent so all that all-in-one goodness but a kilo lighter than the Cloud-Up. The comparative downside is it only has one (front) entrance & vestibule.

The Lanshan shed wind like nobody's business because of the design, the thick trekking poles are vastly stronger than even the beefiest hiking tent, and the low & triangular profile shed wind.

I'd forgotten about a 3F UL that still interests me, the 3F UL Teepee / Tipi. I'd skip the "full inner" (opening the tent drowns you) version but you can get just the fly and a half-sized inners. (And you can buy mesh ones for summer, closed ones for winter, so that makes it very flexible). Again a tension tent, you peg it out, link two trekking poles together, and that's you with a 160m tent. Again given your poles are really substantial and it's the pyramid design it'll be all-but immune to the elements, they're a design that many yanks use in quite brutal winters.

Personally I like the relocation flexibility and less-hassle pitching of a freestanding tent. Guess I'm lazy...
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Postby BattleFrog » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:28 pm

Thanks for your advice, I think I’m going to go for the lanshan 2. Just wondering if you have any recommended modifications or have any set up tips for bad wether use.

Cheers
BattleFrog
Mountaineer

Postby Marty_JG » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:29 pm

The big thing is to practise pitching and with poles set at different heights. You get to vary airflow, obviously wanting more in calmer warmer weather and the pitch closer to the ground other times.

You also need to decide if you're going for the original or the pro. The original is two skin, you can swap the inners around, mesh for summer and a solid for winter. The pro is slightly larger and slightly lighter (only slightly) but single-skin means more condensation and it being cooler so less suitable for winter. The two-skin pitches all-in-one so that's good.

This guy has some great mods for his LS2, there are couple of famous niggles (the door guys, inner touching outer) and he's fixed them.

You will also need to seam seal and there are many Youtube videos on that (including the correct seal to get).

If you go for the LS2 Pro then a Youtuber called Justin Whitting has some mods for his.

I think you've made a good choice for higher camping, but since your tent is 100% dependent on taught guying then I'd recommend looking at pegs suitable for Scottish conditions of wet mud and high winds (e.g. larger Groundhogs, Delta Anchors, etc.).
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Postby BattleFrog » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:50 am

Thanks for the extensive response those modifications look great. I was going to go for the non pro version for the double wall benefits. Was previously looking at the delta pegs so good to know there recommend, was thinking I’d use them for the guys and then maybe the larger ground hogs as you recommended for pegging the tent out.

Thanks for all your advice!
BattleFrog
Mountaineer

Postby WalkWithWallace » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:19 am

Single skin doesn't mean more condensation, I think that's a bit of a misconception as a mesh inner isn't going to eliminate condensation, you just have a barrier between you and the damp flysheet. Carrying a j-cloth is a good way of wiping down any condensation before packing your tent away.
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:192
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby Marty_JG » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:08 am

Ok yes, to be precise it means more condensation inside the sleeping area, thus more likely to make kit in the living area wet. Using a travel towel in the morning won't dry a now-wet down bag.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Postby WalkWithWallace » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:08 pm

Ach, wet is a bit extreme. Most down bags will handle some damp or a few droplets from condensation. 8)
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:192
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby pww235 » Fri May 07, 2021 10:52 pm

Hi, not to hijack this thread but I'm very tempted by the Cloud 2 following some recent YouTube watching.

One concern I have is how bug-proof the T-zip arrangement is. Can anyone confirm slug/midge proof?
pww235

Munros:25   
Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby Marty_JG » Sat May 08, 2021 4:57 am

It has been fine for me.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk