walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Vango soul 200 & Nyx 200 ? What they like

Vango soul 200 & Nyx 200 ? What they like

Postby mindfulwalker » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:27 pm

You can pick up a soul 200 for as little as £39 which looks identical to the Nyx 200. But anyone got one, how spacious are they for 1 person. Can you sit up in one to get dressed on lousy morning?
mindfulwalker
Backpacker

Re: Vango soul 200 & Nyx 200 ? What they like

Postby Marty_JG » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:16 pm

I can't see a lick of difference between them (Vango sometimes do this with naming). It should be spacious enough for one including a reasonable sit-up in the morning to change. I have a few worries at the look of them. First the poles are fibreglass. Fibreglass is much more likely to fail than aluminium. Second the door is cheese-wedge without a vestibule, that means rain will get in when you get out. Finally no vestibule means you don't have any room to put a brew on (assuming you'll be very safe when doing this).

If you can push your budget up closer to £100 you start opening up a lot of options, for example the Scafell 200 and Nova 200 are a similar design but have a vestibule and aluminium poles, and the Nevis 200 is a slightly different design (side entry) but again with alloy poles and a vestibule.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby mindfulwalker » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:20 pm

Cheers, the scafell is what I've looked at and like, had a look at one in go outdoors, seen alot of people getting these nature hike cloud up 2''s and similar from bessport, hewolf, Azarxis etc on AliExpress. All look very similar, come in at a decent weight.
mindfulwalker
Backpacker

Postby Marty_JG » Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:35 pm

I have a Cloud-Up 2, great wee tent. Generally speaking Naturehike have some great tents and great quality control: Mongar, Cloud-Wing, Star River, Taga, Opalus. Etc. Etc. All clones of western brands. All made to the name high quality Naturehike formula. Any should do you proud. The trouble is nowadays they are heading closer to £150, so I thought perhaps a bit out of your budget.

Poking around Fleabay there is one of the grey (lighter) versions on EBay UK seller for £99

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Naturehike-Ultralight-Backpacking-Camping-Tent-Hiking-20D-Silicone-2-Person-UK/133514834032

And some of the (slightly heavier) green and orange ones left for £85 but they ship from China.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Naturehike-Ultralight-Backpacking-Camping-Hiking-Tent-20D-Waterproof-1-2-3Person/352900498453
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby mindfulwalker » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:55 am

Spoke to a couple of hikers who use this and love it, took one on the Appalachian last year. Even the one man looks roomy. Only real issue they had (not really an issue more of a moan) was inner pitching first.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bessport-Lightweight-Backpacking-Waterproof-Mountaineering/dp/B081F6G8Y6
mindfulwalker
Backpacker

Postby Essan » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:58 am

I have a Soul 200 - I can sit up in it okay at the front (although I'm only 5'6" and there's loads of room for one person and all their kit. The porch is quite small though. A good budget tent IMO for good weather, that can also cope with some wind and rain (wouldn't want to use it in a winter gale).. Although be warned it has fibre glass poles that can break. And despite a heavy weight groundsheet (no need for a footprint!) it's still relatively lightweight.
Essan

Munros:98   Corbetts:52
Fionas:7   Donalds:2+0
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:88
Wainwrights:24   Islands:5

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk