walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Postby Joelsie27 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:13 pm

Route description: Cape Wrath Trail

Date walked: 07/07/2016

Time taken: 15 days

Distance: 378 km

13 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Last edited by Joelsie27 on Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Joelsie27
Backpacker

Munros:42   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby Joelsie27 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:21 am

Last edited by Joelsie27 on Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Joelsie27
Backpacker

Munros:42   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Re: Cape Wrath Trail for novices

Postby Sgurr » Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:09 pm

Did you stay in the bothy just north of Sandwood bay (Strathcaileach)? We were in the Strahan bothy just to the south on the nights of 28th and 29th and can vouch for the poor weather and the swamped terrain. Good for you for continuing despite your injuries in the awful weather we have been having. I can't contemplate carrying such a huge amount of food, thought the guys who joined us on the second day staggered in with a banquet. My packets of Smash and Cup a Soup were bad enough
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby the gangrel » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:01 pm

Brilliant effort! Well done!
the gangrel
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:36
Fionas:3   Donalds:12

Postby lochlaggan » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:00 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Great report and it proved very useful for my Cape Wrath trail adventure this September/October. I wasn't sure about leaving my boots and going for trail shoes but after reading your report two pairs of trail shoes sound like the solution.

Nice one

Grant
lochlaggan
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:212
Fionas:4   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   
Islands:11

Postby jrothsc1 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:53 pm

What was your level of navigational experience before attempting this? I am looking to hike part of this trail next year, but I am still acquiring navigational skills. Not sure if this is out of my skill range, so any input would be appreciated!
jrothsc1
Scrambler

Re:

Postby willsdad » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:47 pm

jrothsc1 wrote:What was your level of navigational experience before attempting this? I am looking to hike part of this trail next year, but I am still acquiring navigational skills. Not sure if this is out of my skill range, so any input would be appreciated!

Depends what part you are doing?
I used a Garmin which made life a lot easier. Although I'm ex army and pretty confident with my navigational skills.
There is a few places where trails branch of in similar directions but only 1 is the right one. Map and compass - you may end up retracing your steps a few times. GPS - right first time.

For example - climbing out of Kinloch Hourn - I camped with a German couple but set off 5 mins before them. Once at the top, I stood and watched them as they were heading off in the wrong direction after taking the wrong branch. Luckily they noticed me and cut across. (I won't mention that he was also following a GPS....)

At the end of the day though, you are heading north (or south). All routes in that general direction are correct providing you choose your terrain wisely :wink:
willsdad
Backpacker

Munros:13   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:6

Postby yalluri » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:12 pm

Hi,

great report on your walk.

Was hoping to do the trail this coming April and within the same time frame as yourself (2 weeks).
I have a few questions would appreciate your advice : -

From what I hear the ferry wont be working in April so will have to terminate the walk at Kinlochbervie? is this correct?

Also I'm a keen photographer so on my walks I'm allways clicking away so will no doubt slow me down. If I run out of time to finish the walk do I have options to get off the trail and head back home?

Most of the walks I've done so far were tea house style walks so unsure on how much and what type of food I'd need to carry. I'm guessing figuring out the weight to calorie ratio is an art form.

thanks in advance.
yalluri
Scrambler

Postby walkingpoles » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:59 pm

You will have faster answers when starting a thread in the general discussions subforum than resurrecting a 2 year old walk report for general questions.
walkingpoles
Stravaiging

Munros:218   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:8

13 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes