walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The SNT - Best experience of my life

The SNT - Best experience of my life

Postby wayfaringkiwi » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:15 pm

Date walked: 13/05/2018

Time taken: 55 days

Distance: 864 km

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

In 2018, I was the first solo female to thru-hike the Scottish National Trail [woo hoo girl power!!].

Here's a quick summary:

Week 1 [Kirk Yetholm-Edinburgh]: I wasn't the fittest going into the hike, so I found the first week challenging [especially climbing Wideopen Hill on Day 1 with my pack] but it really is a lovely walk- one I would definitely do again. The Borders have so much history and it was fun to walk through it. Highlights were wild camping outside Cessford Castle, Melrose Abbey, the walk from the Three Brethren across the hills, spotting Edinburgh from the Pentlands and staying at the amazing B&B JustB in Balerno [the best way to reward yourself after week 1- the beds are SO comfy and the breakfast is A+].

Week 2 [Edinburgh-Drymen]: A chance for your body to recuperate after week 1 as you're following canals for the majority of this week. Highlights included Linlithgow Palace, Callander House [worth the detour], camping on the grassy field next to the car park at the Falkirk Wheel, hiking Day 1 of the West Highland Way [and seeing other walkers!] and the delightful village of Drymen.

Week 3 [Drymen-Pitlochry]: Another great walk, easier than Week 1, but more interesting than Week 2. Sections start getting a little wilder too. Highlights included the church ruin at Aberfoyle, amazing views of Loch Venachar, the chippy in Comrie, hiking a section of the Rob Roy Way, the Birks of Aberfeldy, the pubs in Pitlochry.

Week 4 [Pitlochry-Kingussie]: The 3-day hike through the Cairngorms is a good introduction to what is to come. You won't find reception here! Highlights included Killiecrankie, staying at the Ruigh Aiteachain bothy and Ruthven Barracks.

Week 5-6 [Kingussie to Cape Wrath]: This is where it gets real. The Cape Wrath Trail is definitely the toughest section, but has the wildest, most beautiful terrain. River crossings, bog, unpredictable weather- you name it. Highlights included the best views of Loch Ness from the Corrieyairack Pass, Fort Augustus, Invergarry Castle, the section from Inchnadamph to Glencoul Bothy. wild camping at Sandwood Bay, and of course, reaching Cape Wrath!
Attachments
wayfaring-kiwi-scottish-national-trail.jpg
wayfaringkiwi
Wanderer

Munros:1   
Islands:4

Re: The SNT - Best experience of my life

Postby Scottk » Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:17 am

Well done, you must have felt pretty fit at the end of the trip!
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

Re: The SNT - Best experience of my life

Postby Don_Draper » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:10 pm

wayfaringkiwi wrote:In 2018, I was the first solo female to thru-hike the Scottish National Trail [woo hoo girl power!!].

Here's a quick summary:

Week 1 [Kirk Yetholm-Edinburgh]: I wasn't the fittest going into the hike, so I found the first week challenging [especially climbing Wideopen Hill on Day 1 with my pack] but it really is a lovely walk- one I would definitely do again. The Borders have so much history and it was fun to walk through it. Highlights were wild camping outside Cessford Castle, Melrose Abbey, the walk from the Three Brethren across the hills, spotting Edinburgh from the Pentlands and staying at the amazing B&B JustB in Balerno [the best way to reward yourself after week 1- the beds are SO comfy and the breakfast is A+].

Week 2 [Edinburgh-Drymen]: A chance for your body to recuperate after week 1 as you're following canals for the majority of this week. Highlights included Linlithgow Palace, Callander House [worth the detour], camping on the grassy field next to the car park at the Falkirk Wheel, hiking Day 1 of the West Highland Way [and seeing other walkers!] and the delightful village of Drymen.

Week 3 [Drymen-Pitlochry]: Another great walk, easier than Week 1, but more interesting than Week 2. Sections start getting a little wilder too. Highlights included the church ruin at Aberfoyle, amazing views of Loch Venachar, the chippy in Comrie, hiking a section of the Rob Roy Way, the Birks of Aberfeldy, the pubs in Pitlochry.

Week 4 [Pitlochry-Kingussie]: The 3-day hike through the Cairngorms is a good introduction to what is to come. You won't find reception here! Highlights included Killiecrankie, staying at the Ruigh Aiteachain bothy and Ruthven Barracks.

Week 5-6 [Kingussie to Cape Wrath]: This is where it gets real. The Cape Wrath Trail is definitely the toughest section, but has the wildest, most beautiful terrain. River crossings, bog, unpredictable weather- you name it. Highlights included the best views of Loch Ness from the Corrieyairack Pass, Fort Augustus, Invergarry Castle, the section from Inchnadamph to Glencoul Bothy. wild camping at Sandwood Bay, and of course, reaching Cape Wrath!

55 days, wow! Hope your feet have recovered by now 😀 well done
Don_Draper
Mountain Walker

Munros:94   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:5   Islands:9

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes