walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The East Coast: South Shields to Seaburn

The East Coast: South Shields to Seaburn

Postby nigheandonn » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:09 pm

Route description:

Date walked: 12/05/2012

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It was really a friend's birthday party which took me south, but since that was only in the evening it was a shame to waste the day - I'd had a walk north from the other side of the Shields ferry by then, and I'd walked the Northumberland Coast Path simply because it was Northumberland, but I don't think I had any conscious plan of setting out to walk any large part of the coast.

I'd looked over several times from Tynemouth and been enticed by the even longer pier on the other side of the river, but this was the first time I'd actually set out to walk to the end - it's more or less a mile from where the pier leaves the road to the lighthouse at its tip, so a not insubstantial walk in its own right.

580105_original.jpg
South Pier

The way back gave a good view over to the smaller groyne, and the leading lights at North Shields.

580521_original.jpg
North and South Shields

The great stretch of sandy beach ends at Trow Point with its odd gun emplacement - apparently it's called a disappearing gun, although I'm not very sure what disappears.

580648_original.jpg
Trow Point

Beyond the point paths have been made through an old quarry - interesting shapes with the rock walls standing up on either side.

581276_original.jpg
Trow Quarry

The next gap in the cliffs is called Frenchman's Bay, apparently after a ship which ran aground here, and is interesting for the exposed geology - limestone above a layer of yellow sandstone at the base of the cliffs.

581921_original.jpg
Frenchman's Bay

Beyond the next headland the geology gets even more exciting - all kinds of stacks in Marsden Bay. I don't know that I'd never seen a seastack, but I'd definitely never been somewhere where they were just lying around like this before.

582641_original.jpg
Marsden Bay sea stacks

The furthest stack, standing well away from the cliff, is called Pompey's Pillar, and like the rest of the stacks is used by seabirds.

582992_original.jpg
Pompey's Pillar

A view back up from the south end of the bay shows the Pillar with the larger Marsden Rock behind, and the headland at North Shields behind them again.

583203_original.jpg
Marsden Bay

The layers of rock are even clearer in the next headland, a narrow band of grey above the yellow.

583579_original.jpg
Layers of geology

Just before the next point is an enormous row of limekilns, once belonging to the nearby quarry.

583736_original.jpg
Limekilns

On the point itself is Souter lighthouse, nicely painted in stripes, and the first lighthouse specifically built to run on electric light.

584031_original.jpg
Souter lighthouse

A bigger rock here was doing even better for birds - kittiwakes are the local stars, but also cormorants (or their cousins) and other gulls.

584440_original.jpg
Seabirds

Looking back from beyond the headland - through some unexpected rain - showed quite a dramatic arch.

585005_original.jpg
Caves and arches

From here on, however, the landscape got gentler, with the path winding along the edge of a kind of park as it came back towards houses again.

585312_original.jpg
Whitburn

There's a fair sized town inland here, although the coast itself stays quite lonely, and the landmark of the Whitburn windmill was in sight - this dates back to the 18th century, but had been fairly recently renovated.

585510_original.jpg
Whitburn windmill

Having come round the curve of the headland north of Whitburn I now had a view down towards Sunderland, which had been hidden before, although I wasn't going to reach it until the next time.

586103_original.jpg
Sunderland

I was now back on sandy beach heading down towards Seaburn, with patches of open space inland again, although I was so close to the edge of Sunderland.

A little burn was doing quickly and on a small scale what the sea had obviously been doing to the rocks along this stretch of coast, with little sections collapsing into the water - a nice demonstration.

586441_original.jpg
Small sandy geology

From the little lighthouse at Parson's Rocks I finally turned inland, up a long road to Seaburn metro and the Fulwell windmill standing beyond it, slightly newer than its twin up the coast.

586597_original.jpg
Seaburn windmill

From there it was only the slow ride back into Newcastle - a very different route, because the metro keeps well inland, even avoiding the Tyne until it crosses it.
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes