walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cape Wrath Trail: Stage one at 71!

Cape Wrath Trail: Stage one at 71!

by westgate » Sun May 30, 2021 2:46 pm

Route description: Cape Wrath Trail

Date walked: 13/05/2021

Time taken: 8 days

Distance: 147 km

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Cape Wrath Trail: Stage one at 71!

Postby westgate » Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:30 pm

Thanks. Kinlochewe will be too early if I am starting at Strathcarron, but Oykel Bridge would be perfect. 👍
westgate
Scrambler

Postby Sgurr » Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:11 pm

Great report, and good to see that "age" is no impediment. Slight quibble. I think that the Falls of Glomach is/are UK's 3rd highest waterfall, being beaten by the Eas a' Chual Aluinn and the Steall Waterfall.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby westgate » Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:01 pm

Sgurr. Thanks for your comments. You are quite correct on the Falls of Glomach not being UK's highest. I took it from the guide book which states "the largest drop of any waterfall in the UK". I'm not sure if 'drop' is different from 'highest' but I will amend my report to call it the third highest.
westgate
Scrambler

Postby Skyelines » Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:30 pm

westgate wrote:Sgurr. Thanks for your comments. You are quite correct on the Falls of Glomach not being UK's highest. I took it from the guide book which states "the largest drop of any waterfall in the UK". I'm not sure if 'drop' is different from 'highest' but I will amend my report to call it the third highest.

I've always understood that "drop" of a waterfall refers to the free, unimpeded fall of water, whereas the height is the total fall from top to bottom which may include one or more drops.
Skyelines
Wanderer

16 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes