walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

WHW - 6 days camping

WHW - 6 days camping

Postby dmirzai » Mon May 31, 2021 1:57 pm

Route description: West Highland Way

Date walked: 07/05/2021

Time taken: 6 days

Distance: 152 km

Ascent: 3700m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

For me, this was part of a 3 week trek to JOG, so I was carrying a heavier pack than most though I am fairly used to it. Top tip is to bring a water filter rather than a bladder and save yourself the extra weight.
While the walk may look pretty straight-forward and the path is mostly excellent, be prepared for a bit of a slog 3 miles either side of Inversnaid (the northern half of Loch Lomond).

The ascent up and over the glen an hour after Kingshouse is pretty challenging compared to the rest of the route; set yourself a steady pace and you'll be up in about 40 minutes.
Coming from the South, the descent into Kinlochleven is very steep and will definitely hurt at the end of the day!

I walked just after lockdown ended so there were a few issues surrounding hotels/facilities being open, but the route was still well serviced by local shops and amenities.
A few questions on here regarding wild camping - there are some great spots ahead of Conic Hill just past the livestock gate and before the climb proper that are located just off the path.

Highlights: my favourite section was ridge walking on day 5 between Inveroran and Kingshouse; and the food at the pub in Inveroran was very good and reasonably priced.

Itinerary
Milngavie to Conic Hill - 24km length / 6.5hrs time taken / 390m ascent
Conic Hill to Inversnaid - 29km/8.5hrs/910m
Inversnaid to Tyndrum - 30km/9.5hrs/800m
Tyndrum to Inveroran - 15km/5hrs/300m
Inveroran to Kinlocheven - 30km/6hrs/650m
Kinlocheven to Fort William - 25km/6.5hrs/650m

If ever in doubt, just remind yourself that little old ladies do this walk, pace yourself and you'll be fine.
dmirzai
Wanderer

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes