walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

All done in 4 days

All done in 4 days

Postby revalation » Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:43 pm

Route description: Borders Abbeys Way

Date walked: 20/08/2021

Time taken: 4 days

Distance: 109 km

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Travelled up to Ashieview campsite near Ancrum on Sunday 15th August 2021 and used this a base for 4 nights using my car to travel to various towns getting bus to previous town then walking back to car.
Day 1:
Drive to Hawick, bus to Jedburgh, walk back to Hawick and still had time and energy to go as far as Ashkirk getting bus back to Hawick. 22 miles.
P1010536.JPG
Jedburgh Abbey

P1010543.JPG
Borders countryside (Eilden Hills in the far distance)

P1010549.JPG
Lots of willow herb colouring the landscape at this time of year (near Ashkirk)

Day 2:
Drive to Galashiels, bus to Ashkirk, walked to Newtown St Boswells, bus back to Galashiels. 22 miles
P1010557.JPG
Countryside approaching Selkirk

P1010558.JPG
Remains of Old Dovecot near Selkirk

P1010563.JPG
First good view of Eilden Hills. I did these as an optional extra on day 3

P1010565.JPG
Perhaps the view of the day. High up above River Tweed on approach to Melrose

Day 3: Drive to Kelso, bus to Newtown St Boswells, walked back to Kelso. 16 miles. Arrived at Kelso at about 2pm, so drove to Bowden to climb the Eilden Hills which took a further 2.5 hours. Definitely a worthwhile optional extra especially in August when the hills turn purple with heather and panoramic views.
P1010567.JPG
Viewpoint above River Tweed near Newton St Boswells

P1010568.JPG
Bridge over River Tweed

P1010571.JPG
Last view of River Tweed until Kelso

After leaving the River Tweed, the path follows various straight lanes until reaching Kelso about 8 miles later. I found this part of the walk not so interesting.
P1010573.JPG
River Tweed at Kelso. A welcome rest on the plentiful picnic seats

Bowden_tour.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

P1010575.JPG
Walk up to Wester hill

P1010576.JPG
Top of Wester Hill

P1010579.JPG
View to North Hill from Top of Mid Hill (the highest one)

P1010581.JPG
Walk up to Northern Hill

Day 4: Drive to Jedburgh, bus to Kelso, walk back to Jedburgh. This is probably the easiest leg even on the standard 5 day plan. Fairly flat, following the River Teviot most of the way.
P1010582.JPG
Kelso Abbey

P1010585.JPG
Crossing the River Tweed after leaving Kelso

P1010586.JPG
Walking along the River Teviot

P1010592.JPG
River Teviot at Jedburgh

P1010593.JPG
And finally back to start at Jedburgh Abbey

A very enjoyable long distance walk. Reckon I did about 80 miles in all, so avereging 20 miles a day. Weather was very good - no rain while walking and very sunny evenings back at campsite. Having not done any multi-day long distance walking in three years, this was a good confidence builder, so hoping to do more next year and continue my journey along the Scottish National Trail from Morvich.
revalation
Walker

Munros:6   

Re: All done in 4 days

Postby markhallam » Thu May 05, 2022 6:49 am

Thanks Revalation. Having moved to Langholm a year ago, this walk is not far away and has been on my wish list - only mildly put off by flatness/lack of hills - but great idea of yours to include Eildon Hills, which are also on my list having looked across at them many times from the highest hills in Langholm area. And some good ideas on the car/bus shuffle you used...
And I think I'd be tempted to give it a try when the heather is in bloom too, as you did.
So thanks on several counts for some good ideas, to hopefully start studying maps & bus time-tables - and as August approaches, the weather!
Best regards Mark
markhallam
Mountain Walker

Munros:70   Corbetts:9
Fionas:8   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:79
Wainwrights:84   Islands:4

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes