walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Kirk Yetholm to Allt a'Chruinn (near Morvich) - so far

Kirk Yetholm to Allt a'Chruinn (near Morvich) - so far

Postby wandering-cloud » Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:00 pm

Route description: Scottish National Trail

Date walked: 28/03/2022

Time taken: 20 days

Distance: 618 km

Ascent: 9685m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I walked so far about 70% of SNT in 4 different stages, ending up just this last Monday in Ault a'Chruinn, just a mile from Morvich, and I will be walking the final 10 days this June. I live in East Yorkshire, and I am not in a position to be able to devote 20+ days at any given time to walk it in one go, so needed to split into 5 stages.

Stage 1: Kirk Yetholm to West Linton (summer 2021)
Stage 2: West Linton to Aberfoyle (summer 2021)
Stage 3: Aberfoyle to Kingussie (autumn 2021)
Stage 4: Kingussie to Allt a'Chruinn/Morvich (spring 2022; last week, to be precise)
Stage 5 (to be walked in June) will be Morvich to Cape Wrath

I have produced a video documenting rather minutely the views from every second mile or so on the trail, and the video will be updated when I complete the trail, with the photography and footage from the rest of it. I am absolutely loving the trail, and I can see from stage 4 that it'll get rather tough for the last 10 days, which is of course delightful. :)

The first 12 minutes of the video is just photos (I only had the smart idea of shooting video clips later), but there is a lot of video footage later, particularly from Stages 3 and 4.

See what you think (click the link under the picture):
wandering-cloud
Mountaineer

Munros:2   
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:10
Wainwrights:2   

Re: Kirk Yetholm to Allt a'Chruinn (near Morvich) - so far

Postby ahukippax » Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:08 pm

Hi Kamil. Thank you for sharing your journey so far. It was great to be reminded of some of the highlights of this fantastic trail. I was fortunate enough to walk the whole of it in one go in September 2021. It took me 30 days, on a very similar timescale to you. I too did a log of the journey and the link is below if you are interested.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMIPa7MZlsLxxuqgoaanmhTgs43Zj5NEg
I'm a bit jealous of the section you did from Fort Augustus to Morvich. Your weather was better than mine !
Good luck with your last section.
ahukippax
Munro compleatist

Re: Kirk Yetholm to Allt a'Chruinn (near Morvich) - so far

Postby wandering-cloud » Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:21 pm

ahukippax wrote:Hi Kamil. Thank you for sharing your journey so far. It was great to be reminded of some of the highlights of this fantastic trail. I was fortunate enough to walk the whole of it in one go in September 2021. It took me 30 days, on a very similar timescale to you. I too did a log of the journey and the link is below if you are interested.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMIPa7MZlsLxxuqgoaanmhTgs43Zj5NEg
I'm a bit jealous of the section you did from Fort Augustus to Morvich. Your weather was better than mine !
Good luck with your last section.

Hi,
Thanks for your comment. I was generally graced with astonishingly good weather over the course of walking the trail, but the weather this past month, particularly when walking Fort Augustus to Morvich was quite stunning, in fact I got a bit of a tan (in March in NW Scotland, that's quite saying something!) I cannot possibly imagine my luck is going to continue in this fashion in June, but fingers crossed for no torrential anything at least.

For between Morvich and Inverlael, I am planning to do shorter stretches, between 10 and 16 miles (staying at a B&B near Inverlael; I am planning to send them half my freeze/dried food to lower the load on my back), and then will do the remaining distance over 5 days, although I do have 6 available if I need to.

I'll definitely watch your videos - have been meaning for a while, in fact. Well done on walking it all!
Kamil
wandering-cloud
Mountaineer

Munros:2   
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:10
Wainwrights:2   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes