walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glenshee to Glenshee by two glens and a Cateran's leg

Glenshee to Glenshee by two glens and a Cateran's leg

Postby BobbyBee » Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:37 pm

Date walked: 20/04/2022

Time taken: 3 days

Distance: 50 km

Ascent: 1400m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The plan for this walk came about when I was reading the route for the Cateran Trail but wanted a walk that kept me a bit more remote for longer.

Some points on '3 days':

I hadn't been out in the hills, at all, for about 3 years so I was a long way from fighting-fit.

The goal was a long stroll, not a Royal Marines yomp and it didn't take many miles for my heels to remind me the skin had gone soft over that 3 years so the blisters slowed me down a tad.

I was actually out for 3 nights but set off mid afternoon on day one and was back at the car by 0900 on day 4.

The weather was dry and sunny throughout the walk and apart from the section of the Cateran Trail through the woods just after Enochdu, which wasn't bad in any way..just trees, the scenery was glorious.

Day 1: Spittal of Glenshee up Gleann Taitneach to Allt Elrig

This was a lovely stroll, initially accompanied by a large flock of Longhorn sheep who seemed to think it was feeding time and I might have had something for them.

Videoframe_20220424_100104_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg
Are you the feed man?

Once past their field though, I was back on my own for the easy walk up to just before the end of the landrover track where a the Allt Elrig comes down in a lovely wee waterfall. Found a smashing camp spot and got settled down for the night. Yes, I know there's a few glorious spots up at Loch nan Eun but it was getting to that time of day. Maybe next time.

IMG_20220420_185210.jpg
Camp

Day 2: Gleann Taitneach/Allt Elrig to junction of Gleann Beag and Gleann Mor

A pull up the steeper head of the glen to Loch nan Euan where I had a good blether with three chaps, at least one of whom I was told was in his 70s, who were just striking camp from a beautiful spot. Far too early for me to camp though so I had a quick bite to eat and headed east towards the bealach between Carn an Righ and Mam nan Carn. There's no path for the first wee bit after the loch but it is straightforward to pick up the path below Mam nan Carn.

Once at the bealach, I was briefly tempted with a shortcut down Gleann Mor but, with no path or track marked on my old map and none visible from the high vantage point, I reckoned against it with my burning heel and turned north to descend towards Gleann Beag. The path disappears from time to time, especially once the gradient eases but the route is obvious and waymarked by very small cairns, only maybe a foot high but clear to spot and follow.

When you cross the Allt a Ghlinne Beag, the path heads back uphill on to a shoulder of Carn Dearg before joining a track that loops back round south west to the bottom of the glen. My legs really weren't up for it so I took a cut down Gleann Beag courtesy of some sheep tracks through the heather and found a nice wee camp spot at the end of the glen. No photos of this spot as I forgot to take any but here's the route away from it on the morning of Day 3.

IMG_20220422_100518.jpg
Route uphill south away from camp 2

Day 3: Down Gleann Fearnach to Enochdu and on to the Cateran Trail

A long, glorious sunny day. Straightforward on a good track which becomes surfaced after the remote cottage of Daldhu. What a place to live. Must be brutal in winter but I was so in love with its location. The shepherd and the collies who live here were very nice too.

Daldhu.jpg
Daldhu

A view from the earlier part of the day..

IMG_20220422_103826.jpg

After Daldhu, the track is surfaced which makes for good going if a bit harder on the feet. At the lower reaches of Glen Fearnach, you come into more civilisation, including the home farm and the 'big house' and shortly after passing them it's on to the only bit of the walk that isn't ideal as you join the A924 road for a mile or so to Enochdu where you can leave it again to pick up the Kirkmichael to Spittal of Glenshee leg of the Cateran Trail.

While an 'A' road, the A924, especially for the first half mile after joining it is narrow and twisty so you need to keep your wits about you and be on the right side of the road to be seen early and keep an eye behind you if there are vehicles coming towards you as there won't be room for you and two vehicles 3-abreast. That said, it was fairly quiet when I was on it, during the week, but might be busier on weekends.

Back to the Cateran Trail...From Enochdu, it's 6 miles to Spittal according to the sign. The route pretty much goes uphill for 4 miles or so and down for the remainder. I was tempted to go for it and get all the way back to the start of the walk but, by 8pm it was clear that doing so was going to need a head torch. I wasn't in a hurry so started looking for a camp spot before rounding a bend to come across a lunch hut (provided for grouse shooting groups but open to walkers). This isn't a bothy as such, there's little space to bed down as it is full of large tables and benches but it was pretty likely I had it to myself for the night so the decision was made.

IMG_20220422_192058_01.jpg
Lunch Hut

Day 4: The last 3 miles back to Spittal of Glenshee

It was most definitely colder today but sunny again. I was awake at 0530 with the light coming in the hut windows but was in no hurry so lay reading for a while before lazily breakfasting on most of what food I had left with a couple of mugs of coffee before heading of for the last bit of uphill then the descent to Spittal, car and the drive home.

IMG_20220423_075330.jpg
Top of the pass, down to Glenshee
Attachments
IMG_20220420_185037.jpg
same camp

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

BobbyBee
Munro compleatist

Munros:68   
Fionas:2   Donalds:1

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes