walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Minigaig/Feshie backpack.

Minigaig/Feshie backpack.

Postby Stevekerr188 » Tue May 31, 2022 3:23 pm

Date walked: 26/04/2022

Time taken: 3 days

Distance: 42.7 km

Ascent: 2394m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Trip started Tuesday 26th April. I should have been away earlier and the initial trip planned was for a week backpacking in the Cairngorms. Due to an illness I was unable to make the train up to Blair Atholl. I recovered within a couple of days of the departure and still being in possession of the return rail ticket and a YH booked on the last night in Aviemore I did a bit of research for a rail fare to get up to Blair Atholl and found a fare which was much more than it would cost to fuel the car to go over to the Lakes for a day so off to Blair Atholl it was. I knew where I intended camping the first night and had a backup plan at the Allt Sheicheachan bothy but after speaking to people in the store in the village who were purchasing fuel for the bothy, I decided to give it a miss. I set off the road to Old Blair and then joined the track going up Glen Banvie and got to the bothy in just over 2 ½ hours. I then continued on towards the camping spot that I had seen around 3yrs earlier. The track leads to the lodge which seems to be missing the yapping dog from a few years back and then goes up Glen Bruar to a footbridge at the start of the Minigaig pass. There are a few decent wildcamping spots here.
11.3 mile, 18.1k, 639mtr ascent.
ImageDSC01955 (2)
ImageDSC01966 (2)

Wednesday 27th April.
A misty morning early on which soon changed as I walked. The initial path is a slanting ascending path to the right which takes you easily up to the first high point. The route in places is a decent footpath and is marked by white stones as cairns. I had previously used OS locate on my only trip this way as on that occasion mist covered the ground. No problems on this occasion as the mist had lifted. The path takes a swing NW across a burn as it climbs to the highest point. From there I took the ground to the Corbett Leathad an Tobhain and then dropped off to the N before gaining the estate track which takes you all the way into Glen Feshie via the Slochd Mor. In my initial planning I was walking to the bridge nr Achlean as the bridge just up from Feshie bothy has been down for years, however the River Feshie looked low enough for a wade so I crossed opposite the bothy and then stopped for ½hr to let the footwear dry off. The bothy had been considered for a wet night stop but it was only 2.30pm, the sun was out and the forecast was good with little wind up high so it was off up the estate track into Coire Caol and onto the Munro Mullach Clach a Bhlair. I hadn't carried water up so it was search firstly for water and then a flat camping spot. Little shelter was available up on the Moine Mhor but the forecast had been near to zero winds overnight. I camped where the track crossed the Caochan Dubh at around 3000ft.
15.2mile, 24.6k, 1270mtr ascent
ImageDSC01983 (2)
ImageDSC01985 (2)
ImageDSC01987 (2)
ImageDSC02000 (2)
ImageDSC02005 (2)

Thursday 28th April.
After a peaceful night it was off to the munro Sgor Gaoith where I saw the only person on the hills that I had seen, then onto Sgoran Dubh Mor and Beag and then onto the Argyll Stone before descending via Allt Coire Follais. I hadn't used that descent route before and I don't think I will again, quite a poor path through steep heathery and muddy slopes. Once in the glen it was through to Loch an Eilein, Blackpark and through to Aviemore.
13.6miles, 21.9k, 485mtr ascent
ImageDSC02021 (2)
ImageDSC02026 (2)
ImageDSC02031 (2)
Stevekerr188
Backpacker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Fionas:23   Donalds:89+52
Hewitts:138
Wainwrights:214   Islands:16

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes