walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

WHW Tue 3 / 5 .... Sat 7 / 5

WHW Tue 3 / 5 .... Sat 7 / 5

Postby steven65 » Sun May 08, 2011 5:37 pm

Route description: West Highland Way

Date walked: 03/05/2011

Time taken: 5 days

Distance: 154 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A wee quick post just now , some more details & fotos to follow later on - tonight or tomorrow.

Updated eventually 22/5.
Day 1 20 miles
We set off on Tuesday at 7am from Milngavie, me my mate Steven & his dad Davie. Sunny & hottish great. Wee detour via Drymen for lunch & a pint , then back onto Way.
The start in a sunny Milngavie.
coming out of the trees towards Conic Hill , strong warm sun.
First night spent at The Oak Tree Inn in Balmaha. Nice pub.
Day 2 14 miles
Balmaha to Inversnaid
Again sunny & hot , stayed at the bunkhouse , enjoyed it very much.
wonderful views up the loch.
Looking over the Loch Lomond towards The Cobbler
Day 3 19 miles
Inversnaid to Tyndrum
Wet , wet , wet . a very tough day all in.
Stayed over at The Tyndrum Lodge Hotel.
sheltering from the rain at Doune Bothy and enjoying a purely medicinal wee half.
lunch at The Drovers and a chance to try and dry out a bit.
further on at Dalrigh in the woods , near Tyndrum - some of you will find this very funny , perhaps some won`t !!
Day 4 19 miles
Tyndrum to Kingshouse
This was the part of the Way i`d been looking forward to most & the weather was overcast then cleared up very nicely.
Ben Dorain in the clouds.
Bridge of Orchy , just before the part of the Way i`d been looking forward to most.
not far to go now , i can almost see the pub from here !
Stayed over at the Kings House Hotel - no breakfast though as we were away at 5am the next morning to complete the last leg.
Day 5 25 miles
Kingshouse to Fort William
taken about 5.20 am - i was off at 5am - the big bookill in the dark a wee bit eerrie as i was on my own Steven & Davie were about 15 mins behind me - i`d went ahead slowly to ease my feet in for the last leg.
an "unfortunate " foto of me at the top of the Devils` Staircase , i look partied out from last night !! But it was a combination of a very early rise , no breakfast - again , and the miles factor.
No beer involved in this fotos preparation.Honest.
After an early start in the rain we got a nice breakfast at The Ice Factory in Kinlochleven , after Kinlochleven we had to dodge the moto / scrambler / trialists taking part in the Scottish 6 Day Trials all the way through Lairigmor. The weather improved , i thoroughly enjoyed this section too. A last long , long day.
The Way creeping through Lairigmor , most enjoyable and a busy section of the route
The Way for me was a great way of seeing quite a bit of Scotland -an achievement,we`d planned it last year & had the digs booked for over 6 months.
A chilled bottle Corona & a paper cup of champagne at the finish a wee silent tear & a hug & kiss from my wife.Bliss :D
I`d also decided to do it as a sponsored event for CHAS - Childrens Hospice Association Scotland , i`m not sure exactly how much i`ve raised yet - it`s somewhere around £500 ish + or - . All for a good cause.
Thanks to all who donated.
Finally thanks to Steven & Davie for "showing me the way " it was their 3rd time & my 1st. I`ll be back.
****************************************************************************************************************************************
I actually raised about £ 720 in total it`s being used to buy intergrated digital radio / Cd player / i-pod docking stations for the kids bedrooms at Robin House in Balloch with the remaining cash being handed over as a cheque.
steven65
Mountain Walker

Munros:262   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes