walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

West Highland Way 30th April to 4th May

West Highland Way 30th April to 4th May

Postby The Morgans » Mon May 09, 2011 9:02 pm

Route description: West Highland Way

Date walked: 30/04/2011

Time taken: 5 days

Distance: 150 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Day 1 Milngavie to Balmaha

Set off with four friends on Sat 30th April full of excitement and with a spring in our steps. First stop Beech Tree Inn for the pieces. Onwards with high spirits and no blisters. Weather warm and windy, lost my new hat on top of Conic Hill, I'm sure Donna had it last when I was taking pictures but she denied it although I do have a picture if required for evidence :D heading to Oak Tree Inn for dinner and overnight stay. Great place and would highly recommend it.

Day 2 Balmaha to Inverarnan

Up early for the walk to Inverarnan and the pull of the Drovers for a pint. First sign of blisters for one of the five and out with the wonderful compede. Spirits still high and looking forward to the challenge ahead. Lovely views of the Cobbler and nice to see from other side, I had climbed the week before with hubby, my son Richard and his friend. Met loads of nice people along the way for a blether and stopped at Rowardennan for a drink. Chatted with 2 guys, think they were brothers, we called one of them teddy man as he had his daughters teddy on top of rucksack. We caught up with them along the road to Inversnaid and he told us he left wallet with all money in for his trip in Rowerdennan and no-one handed in :( . Heads kind of down after that until we reached Inversnaid and he called hotel and yes, some honest soul handed it in. We did not meet again as they stopped over at Inversnaid but I'm sure the hotel had some kind of problem. Hope you enjoyed the rest of your adventure guys! This section of walk was certainly more physical and poor Donna had real trouble with her feet. We all pulled together and made it to Inverarnan at about 9pm. Dinner, wine and bed, nursing the feet.

Day 3 Inverarnan to Bridge of Orchy

Set off from the Rose Cottage after good breakfast, another warm day and good to have the sun on your back, stopped at Tyndrum for long break to recharge batteries and nurse the blisters and other sore bits. We lost one of our friends at Tyndrum (not literally) as she was feeling unwell and did not feel she could carry on. Spirits probably a bit low.
This section of walk was good as had spells in the shade of the forests. Set off from Tyndrum at 6.30pm and the push was on to get to Bridge of Orchy for the much looked forward to glass of wine and dinner, got there in good time at 9.15pm. After another long day checked into the "sleeper" and have to say we were not impressed with the accomodation and certainly would not return next year. (enough said) Don't know if anyone else encountered the highlands cows just before Bridge of Orchy, prety scary :? I was ready to jump the fence at one point.

Day 4 Bridge of Orchy to Kinlochleven
For me this was the day and section of the way I was looking forward to the most, excited at the thought of walking over Rannoch Moore and seeing the splendid Buachaille Etive Mor, we were not disappointed. Was a scorcher of a day and hardly any respite from the sun which made for a tough walk to Kinlochleven. We stopped at Kingshouse for a well deserved drink and bite to eat and set of to Kinlochleven. Myself and Jane had a good climb up the Devils Staircase and sang all the way up and down into Kinlochleven. My singing has not improved any :D

Day 5 Kinlochleven to Fort William
Set off sharp for the last leg of the walk, another very warm day with hardly any shade, a harder day than expected and really had to push on to get to destination i time for train. Made it to Fort William in good time so off to the pub for a beer and then to pick up the bags at the Nevis Centre. Unfortunately we got Nevis Centre mixed up with Nevis sports and almost missed the train home. Thanks to the Glaswegain guy in white transit van in car park who bundled us into van with luggage and took us to the train station and to the train station staff and driver who held up the train for us. A great walk made all the richer meeting others and sharing stories.

A few wee tips for fellow walkers

Make sure you train before you go, low level and hills
Walk in your boots and feet
Compede Compede Compede
Painkillers are a must
Take enough water to last the days walk
Attachments
100_0975.JPG
and to finish who could forgot Donna's feet, a lasting memory of a fabulous adventure
100_1033.JPG
My Welcome Home
100_1020.JPG
Carol and Donna Cheers
100_1019.JPG
Jane and Karen a wee celebration
100_1015.JPG
The Fab Four
100_1004.JPG
Day 5 Nearly there
100_0999.JPG
Day 5- woohooo
100_0998.JPG
Day 4 Karen Devils Staircase
100_0996.JPG
Day 4 Jane Devis stair case, great views all around- heavenly
100_0992.JPG
Day 4 view of Buachaille Etive Mor
100_0987.JPG
Day 4 looking back at Bridge of Orchy, forest fiire in distance
100_0982.JPG
Day 4 Donna, Jane and Karen, a perfect day
100_0970.JPG
Day 3 dinner at Bridge of Orchy
100_0967.JPG
Day 3 Carol with Bridge of Orchy in sight
100_0949.JPG
Day 3 Deer grazing in Glen Falloch
100_0938.JPG
Day 2 Donna and Jane with views of Loch Lomond
100_0939.JPG
Day 2- View of the Cobbler and Loch Lomond
100_0921.JPG
Day 2 - starting off from Balmaha to Inverarnan
100_0914.JPG
Day 1 Forest walk heading into Balamaha
100_0913.JPG
Day 1 A very windy Conic Hill Jane and Karen
100_0891.JPG
Day 1 Milngavie to Balmaha The fab five
Last edited by The Morgans on Thu May 26, 2011 10:29 pm, edited 21 times in total.
The Morgans

Munros:105   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:9
Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:7   Islands:6

Re: West Higland Way

Postby gaffr » Mon May 09, 2011 9:30 pm

Seems like much better weather that you are having today down there? Today, up here, it has been mostly a wet day. Is this you all just beginning your journey Northwards today?
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Re: West Highland Way

Postby The Morgans » Tue May 10, 2011 7:44 pm

Hi there yes this was the first day sat 30 April, weather was hot all walk, dare I say a little too hot :shock:
The Morgans

Postby gaffr » Wed May 11, 2011 8:04 pm

I guess I got the wrong week-end....I thought that you were sending the reports as you were heading North :lol: I suppose that this would be possible with the wee computers built into cameras nowadays? That long week-end we were up in the Fisherfield area where it was clear, sunny but with at times a gusty old wind.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby The Morgans » Fri May 13, 2011 9:32 pm

we walked from sat 30th April to Wed 4th May, had great weather, still trying to update and finish the report.
The Morgans

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes