walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Walked 14th - 20th May 2011

Walked 14th - 20th May 2011

Postby Fiona_74 » Sat May 21, 2011 9:09 pm

Route description: West Highland Way

Date walked: 14/05/2011

Time taken: 7 days

Distance: 150 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Had a great first day on the walk, 5 days of rain/hail/some dry spells, last day mostly sunny but with a hailstorm half way!!

Never again will I attempt this and think I can camp at certain places, heavy rain at Inverarnan and not even worth trying to pitch tents at Kingshouse, will they ever get that sorted, could make a fortune charging folk to sleep on their floors out the rain.

Overall a fantastic trip but would definately prefer to do it again in better weather!!
Fiona_74

Corbetts:1

Re: Walked 14th - 20th May 2011

Postby snodland » Sat May 21, 2011 11:42 pm

Hi Fiona

What a week to be doing the WHW. Rather you than me and well done. I agree with your comments about the Kingshouse. They could set up a cmping part of the site for a couple of quid a night.(though I understand their notices about not providing services to campers even if they have put a sod of money over the bar the night before). They could buy some of the bunkhouses like the Creag Dohn't and the neighbouring bunkhouses and allow some services to cammpers
snodland
Munro compleatist

Munros:89   Corbetts:17
Fionas:14   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:5

Postby Caberfeidh » Sun May 22, 2011 11:31 am

snodland wrote:I agree with your comments about the Kingshouse. They could set up a cmping part of the site for a couple of quid a night.(though I understand their notices about not providing services to campers even if they have put a sod of money over the bar the night before). They could buy some of the bunkhouses like the Creag Dohn't and the neighbouring bunkhouses and allow some services to cammpers

Or they could set the dogs on ye! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Kevin29035 » Mon May 23, 2011 7:22 pm

When I camped at Kingshouse it was behind a wee hillock 250m before the hotel. As good as the campsite, maybe. Great work considering the conditions.
Kevin29035

Munros:173   Corbetts:173
Fionas:74   Donalds:17
Sub 2000:92   Hewitts:8

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes