walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Shops on WHW

Shops on WHW

Postby astenzel » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:08 pm

Date walked: 03/06/2011

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hi there,

we are from Berlin and are planning to do the WHW this summer. We will bring our tent and are planning to use it as much as the weather permits. I like this site very much and the accomodation info, what I would like to know is whether the places we will pass en route have shops to refill our provisions. And if there are, can we hope for lightweight backpacker's meals?

As soon as we are home I will post a report. Promised 8)

Achim
astenzel
Mountaineer

Re: Shops on WHW

Postby Kevin29035 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:00 am

I did the WHW last year. There are a lot of places to pick up food and items, especially a lot of pubs which are at pretty much every stop en route. For walking/camping specific gear, your best bets are a wee shop in Inveraran which is small though seems to do all the camping stuff and the Green Welly at Tyndrum which, again seems to do everything outdoor-related and more. And while you're in Tyndrum visit the Real Food Cafe, it's quality :)
Kevin29035

Munros:173   Corbetts:173
Fionas:74   Donalds:17
Sub 2000:92   Hewitts:8

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes