walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

West Highland Way August 2011 (HELP!!!)

West Highland Way August 2011 (HELP!!!)

Postby erin_niamh » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:53 pm

Date walked: 21/07/2011

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I am doing the WHW for the first time on 12th August over 5 days. I have done some walking and read as much as I can but any tips, advice would be welcome. I would love to do it and wild camp but being the scaredy that I am, I have booked accommodation for each leg this time. My plan is:

Day 1: - Milngavie - Balmaha
Day 2: - Balmaha - Inverarnan
Day 3: - Inverarnan - Bridge of Orchy
Day 4: - Bridge of Orchy - Kinlochleven
Day 5: - Kinlochleven - Fort William
erin_niamh
Mountaineer

Munros:147   Corbetts:16
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Re: West Highland Way August 2011 (HELP!!!)

Postby nzt2011 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:09 am

Hiya, thanks for your comments on my report. Tips...plenty skin so soft, compede for the feet, plaster up your pressure points on your feet every day before you set off, ie big toes, pinky toes, balls of feet, heels....even on day 1 before you set off!, carry as little weight as you can, lots of socks, dry pairs for night and crocs or sandals to let the feet breathe. Camera is essential I think, so much to see. Lots of spare cash for the pubs at night ;-) . Plenty water for the day, don't get caught short.
I wild camped every night on the way and it added to the adventure, but you will enjoy the luxury of a hot shower every night! did it in 7 days in June carrying all the gear, and had to bin a lot as the weight was causing no end of grief on the feet.
2 days to Inverarnen is the best but hardest way to do it, Loch Lomond is a slog!
Shops in Drymen, Balmaha, wee shop at the youth hostel in rowardennan is basically it until you hit Bein Glass campsite so stock up, crianlarich (but a mile off track and back up and downhill!), tyndrum is the last shop until kinlochleven although might be something in Bridge of Orchy not sure?, so again stock up well!
Best tip is to just enjoy it, really quite envious you are doing it, one of the best weeks of my life and already planning my return visit next May/June, can't wait!!!
nzt2011
Munro compleatist

Munros:137   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:8   
Islands:8

Postby Maarten » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:05 pm

You might be able to buy some water and small snacks at the Kings House hotel and campsite, a mile or so before devil's straircase, if I recall correctly.
Maarten
Scrambler

Postby pollyh33 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:59 am

Hi,

We did this in 5 days last June and like you we booked accomodation. Toughest section is between Rowardenan and Inverarnan but if you're not carrying too much it is really enjoyable- honest. After that it is really straightforward. Don't go down into Crianlarich unless you really need to. Its a long way down and back up! If its supplies you need for that day, when you get to the wigwams at Strathfillan, there's a wee shop there. And Tyndrum is only about 1 hour after that.
Just be prepared for very long days and you'll be fine-especially if you keep your feet blister free and eat lots of goodies. I wouldn't overdo the alcohol at night and don't drink during the day!!! Wait until you get to Fort William to celebrate!!!

We did it again this year over 7 days and most days we were getting to our hotel at lunchtime. Alcohol this year was consumed in shockingly large volumes!!! :lol: :lol:

Enjoy!!!
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby MarilynMunro » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:44 pm

You are going to have one of the best experiences of your life, I did it start of May with my son. Personally I think doing it over 5days is great, you constantly meet up with the same bunch of people and if you are as lucky as I was you have a VERY enjoyable social life.
Like Polly says the bit after Rowardenan is a bit of a grueller and makes for one of the longer days. Only drawback to digs I found was if you wanted breakfast it could delay your start. Saying that we were in the bar most days apart from day two at 6 ish, normally after a 8:30 - 9:00. Couple pints of Magners works wonders.
Walking poles are a boon.
Duct tape on heels and balls of feet worked for me.
If you haven't already I would suggest some sort of camelback, they are the worth it.
Miss out Crianlarich, and just have another pint in Tyndrum, pub on the right of the green welly does great nachos.
Beware C(hr)onic hill, the descent is something else and the devils staircase isn't so bad if you have done a couple of Munro's.
Just soak it up, you'll love it.
MarilynMunro
Mountaineer

Munros:43   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:4   

Postby erin_niamh » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:52 am

thanks for the tips and advice people, really appreciated and all will def be a help. my accommodation and travel lite is now booked, im staying Day 1: oak tree inn, Day 2: The Drovers Inn on a sat night so really looking forward to that!, Day 3: Bridge of Orchy Bunk house, Day 4: MacDonald Hotel Cabins at Kilochleven and staying for at least 1 but maybe 2 nights at Bank Street Lodge in Fort William. I'm really looking forward to it, spent the weekend at Strathfillan wigwams and drove to glencoe mountain resort, stopping at bridge of orchy which has made me more excited. does anybody have any experiences with the digs i have booked?

I do plan a few pints at the end of each day as for me thats a big part of the experience, i know i could go to the pubs and not drink but thats not the same :lol: I have plenty of expeience of having 4 or 5 pints and still getting up for a walk, and from what I hear I dont think I will manage much more than that :D

Ive done a few munros now and will be even more plus a few long walks before I do the WHW so hopefully I should be ok.
erin_niamh
Mountaineer

Postby MarilynMunro » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:24 am

You've got the same digs booked I had, the OakTree is a cracking pub, I was in one of the cottage rooms, very good, bar meals are great, with a good atmosphere in the bar.
I see you've been to the Drovers so you'll know what to expect !!! :o :shock: :? ....... :lol:
Bunkhouse at BoO is basic, showers a bit iffy, good drying room and a good bar/ or restraurant for something to eat. In May they recommended booking the evening meal in advance as it is the only place for miles and was quite busy when we got there, maybe worth a phone call as they serve food in the small bar and in a white table cloth and candle restaurant, kinda surreal eating in there after a couple of days on the road.
Cabins at Kinlochleven were my favourite, just like garden sheds with power and a midge zapper with a couple chairs on a little veranda, feet up and a couple of tinnies after the meal, bliss.
All the places served breakfast a little late for me, from 8:00, but soon adjusted to that, they all offer reasonable packed lunches, and think some of them also did something in lieu of breakfast if you wanted to hit the road early. Personnaly I couldn't do without my coffee in the morning, even getting an espresso at Kingshouse bothy bar (round the back)
Couple beers during and after the days walk was almost essential, I got probably the best stint of weather I could have hoped for, apart from some drizzle over Rannach Moor.
I don't know if anyone else feels this or if you have been told what to expect, but I went into the walk thinking I had been given a good heads up regarding all aspects of the walk, but I wasn't prepared for how rough some of the paths/ tracks can be. I would say the vast majority of the walk is done on very rough, rocky terrain which is hell on the feet and knees, didn't help that I had quite soft walking boots. Probably the only snag I had the whole walk, my dogs were barking everynight!! :lol:
Once agian, good luck and have a great time
MarilynMunro
Mountaineer

Postby stuart mclovin » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:13 pm

i'm currently trying to plan this myself, looking at starting on the 19th august at the moment and will be looking to wild camp as i think it'll be easier so i can walk until i feel ready to stop as opposed to having to stop at certain points as i'm booked to stay there.

i've scoured the web looking for tips at what to take etc and think i'm looking at a very basic load for this trek.

have you booked luggage couriers between your hotels?
stuart mclovin
Munro compleatist

Munros:17   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby erin_niamh » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:19 pm

stuart mclovin wrote:i'm currently trying to plan this myself, looking at starting on the 19th august at the moment and will be looking to wild camp as i think it'll be easier so i can walk until i feel ready to stop as opposed to having to stop at certain points as i'm booked to stay there.

i've scoured the web looking for tips at what to take etc and think i'm looking at a very basic load for this trek.

have you booked luggage couriers between your hotels?

Im hoping to do it again this year, maybe september & wild camp as I think that will be a total different experience. but i must say im looking forward to the pubs at night time then going to a warm bed, a good shower & a decent breakfast should help as well.

I plan on only taking a small amount with me each day, packed lunch water proofs etc.

yes, ive booked travel lite
erin_niamh
Mountaineer

Postby erin_niamh » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:22 pm

thanks MM, :D

im in 1 of the cottage rooms as well at the oak tree. did you take your dog with you? did the oaktree and the drovers allow dogs?
erin_niamh
Mountaineer

Postby MarilynMunro » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:25 am

erin&niamh wrote:thanks MM, :D

im in 1 of the cottage rooms as well at the oak tree. did you take your dog with you? did the oaktree and the drovers allow dogs?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm sorry, when I said my dogs were barking i meant my plates of meat, aka feet were giving me gip!!!
And my pup from an earlier post on here is of the two legged variety :lol:
Just my weird sense of humour misleading you.
Another thing about the Oak Tree is that it can be very busy, Balmaha being quite a tourist trap.
If there is any thing else I can help or mislead you with just PM me.
All the best
MarilynMunro
Mountaineer

Postby nzt2011 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:37 pm

"Im hoping to do it again this year, maybe september & wild camp as I think that will be a total different experience"

I wild camped all the way in June, if you need to know any good spots give me a shout.
nzt2011
Munro compleatist

Munros:137   Corbetts:7
Sub 2000:8   
Islands:8

Postby erin_niamh » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:59 am

nzt2011 wrote:"Im hoping to do it again this year, maybe september & wild camp as I think that will be a total different experience"

I wild camped all the way in June, if you need to know any good spots give me a shout.

will keep that in mind MW :D
erin_niamh
Mountaineer

Postby allansmitchell » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:53 am

If your using travel lite, buy all your supplies for your trip and send it with your luggage, we pre-bought all our lunch stuff, sandwich pastes, longlife bread, lucozade, even custurds that didnt need to be kept in the fridge.
As said plenty of compeed for your feet, and now there is stuff called "smidge" which works for keeping the midges away.
I carried talcum powder and dry socks and would change them each luchtime, not one blister formed, any sign of rubbing I used the compeed. So many people fail the WHW due to knackered feet rather than fitness
allansmitchell
Mountaineer

Munros:4   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:7   

Postby allansmitchell » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:55 am

erin&niamh wrote:thanks MM, :D

The Drovers inn allows dogs, not sure about the oaktree, plenty people have done the WHW with dogs, planning on doing it again with mine so will need to find the dog friendly accomidation myself
allansmitchell
Mountaineer

Munros:4   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:7   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes