walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Timeless Way - The Outer Hebrides

The Timeless Way - The Outer Hebrides

Postby Giblets » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:51 am

Date walked: 02/09/2011

Time taken: 14 days

Distance: 368 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The Timeless Way takes in the length of all 10 inhabited Outer Hebridean Islands - Lewis, N. Harris, S. Harris, Berneray, N. Uist, Benbecula, S. Uist, Eriskay, Barra and Vatersay and is about 230 miles (plus the swimming between islands!) and is based on the book "The Outer Hebrides - The Timeless Way" by Peter Cooke. I completed it in 14 days at the end of June this year.

It was much tougher than I'd imagined and the walks were very different from those of The Pennine Way, The Offa's Dyke Path and The Coast to Coast which I've done over the last 12 years. There was much more road walking than I'd imagined and most of the off road walking was over very harsh, wet, muddy and boggy moorland. If I never, ever see sphagnum moss again it'll be too soon! Moreover there were hardly any marked paths and without my trusty Garmin GPS and the route from the LDWA website I would have struggled to find my way, especially from Kinlochroag to Bowglass via Kinlochresort. But I did it without any serious mishaps or nativagional malfunctions and parts of The Way are just out of this world.

One thing that makes this long distance walk rather more difficult than others is that, unless you set off with someone else, you're almost certain to walk on your own all day and quite often not see anyone at all. Getting lost, breaking a leg, etc. just doesn't bear thinking about. You really are on your own!
Giblets
Mountaineer

Re: The Timeless Way - The Outer Hebrides

Postby mountainstar » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:09 pm

Well done on completing this walk.
Think thats the way to go....to get your Mrs to ferry your gear each day :D
I was in S Uist and Barra in July...loved it.
By the way, cracking trip report :clap:
mountainstar
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Fionas:24   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:24

Postby Kevin29035 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:55 am

That's a great report, I enjoyed reading it. I didn't know there was a north-south route down the Hebrides either. Congrats.
Kevin29035

Munros:173   Corbetts:173
Fionas:74   Donalds:17
Sub 2000:92   Hewitts:8

Postby Mountainlove » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:34 pm

Wow never heard about this walk either....really enjoyed your pictures and to see the map descriptions...walking on roads must have been hard going (liturally)
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:90   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby Knipperdolling07 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:47 am

I think that this Way will celebrate a great comeback in 2017.

Google for "The Hebridean Way- walking"

Does anyone have more information about the upcoming track or maybe even a gpx file with the exact route?!
This would be incredibly great!

Cheers
Jan
Knipperdolling07
Mountaineer

Postby Guinessman » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:41 pm

Was thinking about doing this in the summer this year. Was there a link in the opening report?
Guinessman
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Fionas:27   Donalds:89
Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:15

Postby Knipperdolling07 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:39 pm

Guinessman wrote:Was thinking about doing this in the summer this year. Was there a link in the opening report?

Yes, you can find it here: visitouterhebrides /see-and-do/activities/hebridean-way/walking-hebridean-way
(just take away the blank before the dot)
i also posted a report about our time on the hebway this spring!
And you can find some more information on my blog huesometer.de
Knipperdolling07
Mountaineer

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes