walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Kintyre Way

Kintyre Way

Postby zhickman » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:31 pm

Route description: Kintyre Way

Date walked: 29/09/2011

Time taken: 5 days

Distance: 140 km

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I walked this in 48 hours over a period of 5 days and did this from South to North. I did this quite late in the year and the weather was definitely far from perfect. There was one nice day and the rest were foggy and wet or grey and raining. Its a fairly remote path that doesn't take you through many towns or villages, but you are never too far from civilisation. I wild camped the entire way so wasn't restrained by needing to find accommodation and places to wild camp are numerous especially if you are happy camping on boggy marshland or atop windy hills. Most of the walk consisted of bog, marshland or muddy fields and whilst there is indeed too much road in this walk, this is often a relief after walking for days ankle deep in bogland. Overall its an enjoyable walk and I didn't see a single other person for the duration. There is also woodland which is nice, especially between Tarbert and Skipness. The coastal section is great and wish there was more of this. I found mistakes in the rucksack readers guide to the path, and often the path description paid very little relation to what the path actually did - otherwise this was a useful guide to have - but it is NOT water resistant as it states.

I took a day out to visit Ghiga, which is worth a visit and also took the opportunity to visit Arran at the end of the walk. The waymarkers are geared towards people walking North to South as they started to give miles to the next town, but these were often very random and made little sense. I personally found this off-putting as I had never walked as far as I thought I had! The waymarking was excellent and very useful. Overall, quite a challenging walk at points, but the uphill stretches are usually rewarded with fantastic views. Even though i was soaked to the skin for 2 days solid due to the rain and fog, I still preferred this to midges, of which there were none, except, bizarrely, for the last 2 miles as I walked into Tarbert.
zhickman
Hill Bagger

Re: Kintyre Way

Postby Kintyre Ranger » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:44 pm

Pleased to hear that you enjoyed the walk even though the weather was a bit rotten. The milemarks you mentioned record the distance from Tarbert, not to the nearest town, which might explain why you found them confusing. There is also a second edition of the trail guide out now which includes most of the changes we've made to the route. The Kintyre Way is a work in progress and is subject to change as we take more and more of it off road. As long as walkers follow the waymarks they shouldn't go wrong.

Owen Paisley
Kintyre Way Ranger
Kintyre Ranger
Mountaineer

Re: Kintyre Way

Postby zhickman » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:54 pm

Ahhh, that makes perfect sense! Thanks :)
zhickman
Hill Bagger

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes