walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Hadrian's Wall Path in five days, East to West

Hadrian's Wall Path in five days, East to West

by walk aboot » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:58 pm

Date walked: 09/04/2012

Time taken: 5 days

Distance: 138 km

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Hadrian's Wall Path in five days, East to West

Postby raykilhams » Fri May 03, 2013 8:58 am

Thanks Walkabout , loved the report plus the pics , brought back memories of last summer ( I think that's what we called it) walked the same direction with my wife , great experience , then went off to Edale to do the Pennine Way ( oh we are gluttons for punishment , rain, hail and thick mist but still fun). I think you would agree though that LDW is addictive.
raykilhams
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:9   

Postby walk aboot » Sat May 11, 2013 12:16 am

Thanks Ray :) . Yes, l do agree LDWs are addictive. I did the Speyside Way last month but haven't gotten around to writing up a trip report yet.
walk aboot

Munros:36   Corbetts:4
Donalds:1
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:27

Postby CatoTheYounger » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:01 pm

That was an awesome read thank you for the report. :) I recall being 18 and driving to these walls because I'd read so much about Roman History but never visited the Forum Romanum in Rome itself or any other Roman architecture with the exception of The Antonine Walls in Milngavie. Just seeing a section of this structure was enough to deter an invasion of the south but traversing the whole thing would have been something to behold, I'm very jealous. I think I may have to attempt this in the not so distant future just so I can immerse myself in ancient antiquity and escape the troubles of modernity. Thanks again.
CatoTheYounger
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:82
Fionas:89   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:149   Hewitts:105
Wainwrights:183   Islands:2

Postby Fern_6 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:37 am

I like the post, I like the photographs, i like the place. Thanks a lot for sharing.
Fern_6

Postby walk aboot » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:07 pm

Janet
walk aboot

Postby Caberfeidh » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:23 pm

Any scope for looting of priceless antiquities?
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby walk aboot » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:19 pm

Plenty of excavation work parties around the forts. I suggest you let them do the digging for you first, then get the metal detector out when they are on their weak tea and soggy sandwiches break ;-)
walk aboot

Postby Buggiba » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:09 pm

My son-in-law and I took on this 86-mile walk in May 2015, but chose West to East, and how glad we were.
Drove up on the Saturday afternoon and stayed at a camping barn at Port Carlisle before walking the 1.5 mile journey to Bowness-on-Solway and then back to Port Carlisle.
Sunday morning saw us set off at 6.05am and walk the 24-mile stretch, via Carlisle and Crosby, to Sandysike Farm, where the bunkhouse was very well appointed.
Monday, and raining. Only 11 miles today. A pleasant if undulating walk to the hotel and hostel at Greenhead. Excellent accommodation.
Tuesday and still raining, but it got worse. 16 miles today to Greencarts Farm bunkhouse. Whilst ascending the series of crags on this section we were hit by several hail showers. Fortunately, as the wind was behind us, it struck our backs and rucksacks. Those less fortunate, walking east to west, were walking into the teeth of this weather, and the thunderstorm which followed. We made our lodgings 5 minutes before the heavens opened.
Wednesday and a completely different day. No waterproofs required today. Walking at 6am. 19 miles to Heddon-on-the-Wall, following the B6318 road. Climbing for the first 3 miles then pretty level all the way. Intermittent sunshine but pleasant walking. Stayed at the Houghton North Farm Bunkhouse. First time I've had breakfast included in the price. Superb accommodation.
Thursday and good weather forecast. Only 15 miles to the finish at Wallsend-on-Tyne. Left at 5.45am. Good walking on downhill paths then along the Wylam Waggonway, which is level. Hard going alongside the river through Newcastle, when it decided to rain, and still 5 miles to go once we were out of the city. Walked into the Segedunum museum at 11.30. Walk completed.
We used the Walkers bag-carrying service throughout, at a brilliant £5 per drop.
Having collected our bags from the Hadrian's Lodge Hotel we took the metro to central Newcastle, caught the bus to Carlisle and a further bus on to Port Carlisle to be reunited with my car.
An excellent 5-day walk, steeped in history.
Buggiba
Mountaineer

12 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes