walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Long Walk on The Isle of Skye

A Long Walk on The Isle of Skye

by ramblingpete » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:49 pm

Route description: Skye Trail

Date walked: 08/05/2012

Time taken: 7 days

Distance: 150 km

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: A Long Walk on The Isle of Skye

Postby dunrig » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:24 pm

thanks enjoyed this informative as well
dunrig

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:41 pm

Brilliant :clap: I love Skye and have visited many times. Your report was fantastic with the Blaven diversion being particularly inspired. In fact reading your report makes my heart ache for Skye and I can give it no higher praise than that.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby ramblingpete » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:58 am

Thank you for all your kind replies. I'm glad you enjoyed the read.

The Skye Walk will always be my reference point now for how good a long distance trail should be :thumbup: I think it will grow in popularity as the years go by.
ramblingpete
Mountaineer

Munros:9   Corbetts:4
Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:173
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Jide » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:35 pm

Wonderful report!

I expect to do the Skye Way next May in a 3 weeks trip: Speyside way, Glen Affric and the Five Sisters of Kintails and the Skye Way. Yeah, I'm addict to long routes and wilderness ;)

The reports you guys posted here are very very valuable!

I'm so glad to have found that forum :D
Jide
Scrambler

Postby Lenore » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:48 am

Read this one before but who cares it's still such an excellent report :-D This route or something similar is high on my wish list. A bit more experience first...
Lenore
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby RicKamila » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:38 pm

Great report and great photos of the best place in the whole of the UK.

I like your first photo of day 5, infact I have seen a similar one somewhere else.... :roll: :lol:

Cuillin's from Sligachan Bridge by AussieEyePhotography, on Flickr
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:16   

Postby Alan S » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:34 pm

Excellent stuff :clap:
Just used my full lunch hour getting through this :lol:
Some really cracking pics in there 8)
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby ramblingpete » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:46 am

Thanks Jide and Lenore - glad you enjoyed it second time around.

Ric - I see you managed to miss the water pipe that went in the water. It's a cracking view from there if you can time it right between the tourist buses. I was with a photographer down at the Castlerigg Stone Circle in the Lake District who had set up and was patiently waiting for the sun to dip to catch the light on the hills....cue the busload of Japanese tourists who swarmed over the place and stole his moment :D He wasn't laughing though.

Cheers Al - glad you enjoyed it and you didn't choke on your sarnie.

I'm a bit stuck so far this year on where to go next, but the Rob Roy Way seems to be a good one to squeeze into a week. I've not been walking much lately though - too busy at work :thumbdown: I need to return to Skye for a break :wink:
ramblingpete
Mountaineer

Postby Backpacker » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:23 pm

Just bumping this up as I'm planning on doing this next month albeit the other way round (North - South)

I'm hoping to get some blue skies :D :D

Citylink from Glasgow - Portree is only £5 one way at the moment, hoping next week it's the same price for the way back.

I'm planning on staying at the hostel at Flodigarry the day before starting and after doing the 1st stage (least I won't need most of my gear) and a hostel in Portree after stage 3 with wild camping the rest of it.
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:115
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby ramblingpete » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:59 am

Backpacker wrote:Just bumping this up as I'm planning on doing this next month albeit the other way round (North - South)

Citylink from Glasgow - Portree is only £5 one way at the moment, hoping next week it's the same price for the way back.

I'm planning on staying at the hostel at Flodigarry the day before starting and after doing the 1st stage (least I won't need most of my gear) and a hostel in Portree after stage 3 with wild camping the rest of it.

Are you going to start from the top of the island, and have you got any detours planned?

I wish you dry weather and sunshine. :thumbup: Looking forward to seeing some pictures.
ramblingpete
Mountaineer

Postby Backpacker » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:25 pm

ramblingpete wrote:
Backpacker wrote:Just bumping this up as I'm planning on doing this next month albeit the other way round (North - South)

Are you going to start from the top of the island, and have you got any detours planned?

I wish you dry weather and sunshine. :thumbup: Looking forward to seeing some pictures.

aye, starting from the top and working my way down.

I've 10 days booked and with 7 of them on the trail there's every chance for a couple of detours, weather permitting of course :D :D
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:115
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby Marc Lefevre » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:48 pm

Hi Pete,
It seems that everything has already been said on your walk report ;) A pleasure for reading and full of interesting hints :clap: . I must say that I found it after having planned most of my route, so I think I'll stick to the plan and will report the differences after. I intend to go North-South and making a detour through Glen Brittle.

Still, as I intend to backpack all along with a tent, I would need one more kind of information about logistic stuff: is there a 'lot' of place to refill our food supply ? My main concern is about the stages between Portree and Broadford.I intend to stop around Sligachan, Glen Britle, Elgol and Torrin which seems to be small place and may be without any shop.
I tried to find the Dave Woods blogspot you mentioned earlier but never found it :? So if someone has a link direct link on it, I would be glad to check it out :)

In the same way, do you know if it's easy to find gas cartridge ? I hope to find it in petrol station but maybe someone can confirm it ...
Marc Lefevre
Scrambler

Munros:11   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:3   

Postby Marc Lefevre » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:10 pm

Forget about the remark about Dave Woods, I finally found it there : http://davewoodwalks.blogspot.be/search/label/Isle%20of%20Skye :oops:
Marc Lefevre
Scrambler

Munros:11   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:3   

Postby ramblingpete » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:38 pm

Marc Lefevre wrote:Hi Pete,
It seems that everything has already been said on your walk report ;) A pleasure for reading and full of interesting hints :clap: . I must say that I found it after having planned most of my route, so I think I'll stick to the plan and will report the differences after. I intend to go North-South and making a detour through Glen Brittle.

Still, as I intend to backpack all along with a tent, I would need one more kind of information about logistic stuff: is there a 'lot' of place to refill our food supply ? My main concern is about the stages between Portree and Broadford.I intend to stop around Sligachan, Glen Britle, Elgol and Torrin which seems to be small place and may be without any shop.
I tried to find the Dave Woods blogspot you mentioned earlier but never found it :? So if someone has a link direct link on it, I would be glad to check it out :)

In the same way, do you know if it's easy to find gas cartridge ? I hope to find it in petrol station but maybe someone can confirm it ...

Hello Marc - here's hoping you have some decent weather. I don't know about Sligachan apart from the hotel. I assume they sell some basics in the campsite - I'm sure someone on here will know more details. Also the same with Glen Brittle, but as it's fairly isolated I would think the shop there has decent supplies. There is a small store in Elgol selling basics, but no store in Torrin. There is the Blue Cafe which may help out if you contact them before you go.

Dave Woods can probably help you out with the question about the gas cartridge.

Good luck with the journey and I look forward to reading all about it.
ramblingpete
Mountaineer

Postby wasser » Mon May 12, 2014 3:22 pm

Great read and great photos, we (group of 4) are going up 7th June 14 for one lads 60th birthday going N-S, my first time on Skye, ) hoping the weather is kind and the midges aren't too bad. 8)
wasser
Mountaineer

19 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes