walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ayr to Stair

Ayr to Stair

Postby ggilbert2001 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:36 pm

Route description: River Ayr Way

Date walked: 12/01/2013

Distance: 21 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

IMG_0181.JPG
The Start
A clear crisp morning greeted me as I started out on my first training walk for tackling the West Highland Way in April.

Starting from Turners Brig I walked along the river and saw 2 Heron's standing still waiting for breakfast. I have walked this path up to the A77 many times but not gone on to the rest of the walk so it was into some new territory!

Walked under the A77 and found the SSPCA building and started following the road. Narrow 1 track road and I was wearing headphones and listening to rock - needless to say I jumped out of my skin when a car tooted behind me!

Taking the 'phones off I carried on until I left the road and turned right onto a dirt track.

This is where it started to get boggy...and continued, virtually, for the rest of the way!

An uneventful walk took me to the road down from Achincruive where I turned right and crossed Oswald's bridge (there is a shorter walk if you don't cross the bridge as it cuts out a large loop in the river) and took a left into a field and then, what would be in summer, a lovely avenue.

A couple of ascents and descents with some lovely views of the river and then a flattish (and boggy) walk to Tarholm Bridge - and lunch.
IMG_0185.JPG
Fallen Tree number 11

Crossing the bridge and turning immediately right I followed the path along the side of the river. There were some stunning views with the path being cut into the rock and I would imagine that it would not be possible to walk it if the river were swollen.

Going through a couple of gates and looking at the 'old ha' on the other bank I found myself in a field with a couple of horses. I re-checked the directions and the map and decided it was the correct place to be - and when I found the path at the other end of the field I knew it was. I walked up Mill side to Annbank and then back down Dunlap Ave to the river again.

Just past the picnic area I found the civic dump site that people obviously use - just rubbish thrown down into the trees beside the path. The path down was wet and (have I mentioned it) boggy - and this time you can add slippy!

I crossed another road and under the Enterkine Viaduct and saw the house I want to buy (Enterkine House)...if only.
IMG_0194.JPG
Enterkine Viaduct

One thing I have noticed is how cushy anglers have it.....lovely benches and wee hideouts for a coffee (or something).

Any it was on to the boggiest place in bogland! Just before you get to the Milton Wood you walk away from the river beside some fields. I would take a snorkel if you are going to attempt this walk after rain! My ankle gaiters were not up to the task!

After this is was up to the Stair Inn and a couple of pints of Pale Ale from the Houston Brewing Company and then my partner picked me up and drove me home.
IMG_0201.JPG
A welcome site

Lovely walk and one I will do again (when it's dry).
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

ggilbert2001
Mountaineer

Munros:7   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:1

Re: Ayr to Stair

Postby Scotsman2012 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:56 am

Me and my Dad did this walk on Saturday as well, although we went a bit further on than you to Failford - enjoyed a couple of pints each as well before heading back to Ayr on the bus :D

Much better in the summer, that's the first time we've done the route at this time of year and I doubt I'll be doing it again for a few months until it's dried out a bit.

If you're looking for other local walks, try the Ayrshire Coastal Path - heading north from Ayr to Troon & Irvine is easy enough. If you head south to Dunure, check the tide times and watch out for the coos just north of Dunure - we got chased by them but then the route doesn't take you through their field! :lol:
Scotsman2012
Mountaineer

Munros:28   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:7   
Wainwrights:2   Islands:13

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes