walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Cape Wrath trail part 3 Glendhu Bothy to Cape Wrath

The Cape Wrath trail part 3 Glendhu Bothy to Cape Wrath

by mountainstar » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:16 pm

Route description: Cape Wrath Trail

Date walked: 02/05/2009

Distance: 326 km

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: The Cape Wrath trail part 3 Glendhu Bothy to Cape Wrath

Postby FMCKIE » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:55 pm

I am interested in walking a round of the Marilyn peaks out on Cape Wrath during the summer. Do you have a link to when the area is safe to walk in?

BTW : Really enjoyed reading this.
FMCKIE

Sub 2000:6   

Postby John Burgess » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:36 am

Just finished reading these great accounts of what must have been a marvellous experience. Brought back lots of memories - especially the weather early on. I once did a trek through the highlands: 3 dry days out of 21 :lol:
Thanks for taking the time to put the reports together. Loved them!

All the best,

John
John Burgess

Munros:282   Corbetts:144
Fionas:78   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:110
Wainwrights:214   

Postby mountainstar » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:32 pm

Thanks for all the good comments, so it was well worth the (loads of) time spent doing it, and as there isn't much info on the CWT out there I thought it was well worth it. I have since done the Alternative central section from Strathcarron to Fort William (and then onto Dalwhinnie), so when I get round to it will post that one as well.
I met 3 other people whilst doing the walk who also had the same Asolo boots, and 2 out of 3 of them also found that they leaked.
mountainstar
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Fionas:24   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:24

Postby mountainstar » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:30 pm

"I am interested in walking a round of the Marilyn peaks out on Cape Wrath during the summer. Do you have a link to when the area is safe to walk in?"
I don't know of a link, but here is the phone numbers taken fron the MBA handbook, Major David Halpin, Range Officer, 01971 511242, 07714 7222056, firing times are also posted at Durness PO (So it says)
Hope that helps.
mountainstar
Walker

Postby FMCKIE » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:44 pm

This is a useful link to the danger area times.

http://www.rnopsscotland.netfirms.com/CWR_range.htm
FMCKIE

Sub 2000:6   

Postby maddjock » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:22 pm

an awesome set of reports...
have done this final leg from Kinlochbervie to Cape Wrath myself last year and have an unfinished report sitting in my drafts folder which I never got around to finishing. I had a beautiful sunny day for it but it was hard going as you say with the amount of ups and downs and in and outs...wonderful birdlife and great views but that lighthouse never seemed to want to get closer...
really enjoyable to read...
maddjock
Hill Bagger

Postby Nicla » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:14 pm

Great reports, fantastic photos, can't wait to get out and see some of these places first hand for myself!
Nicla

Munros:83   Corbetts:2
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby gaffr » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:28 am

Hello M Star,
I enjoyed reading and seeing the images of your long walk.....I especially appreciated the Bothy images. Was it difficult, at times, to resist heading up towards the high tops? However, in a way, this would have taken something away from the journey in that parts of the traverse may have been missed out. After all, walking is more than just shinning up the higher hills.....the solo journey carrying all the kit in the rucksack is a tonic! I wouldn't be suprised if others don't follow your example.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby mountainstar » Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:21 am

I still climb to summits when ever I can or feel like. But because I have already done the Munro's and Corbetts ,going to the tops on this journey was not what I had in mind, also bearing in mind that I was carrying a fairly heavy rucksack each day. In recent years I have turned to doing more multi day wildcamp/bothy trips, it was to me a natural progression of what to do next.
I hope this account gives others the idea about doing it....Perhaps a good New years resolution?
Merry Christmas to you all, Alan
mountainstar
Walker

Postby bootsandpaddles » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:01 pm

I did the Cape Wrath Trail in May 2007. I think May is a good time of year to do it although you do seem to have had more days with blue sky than I did. It was a great expedition, though, and your report brought it all back. I also used a combination of wild camping, hostels and B and Bs although my route was a bit different to yours. I was interested to see that you also had to use your thumb to get in to Ullapool. I was picked up by a nice couple who I think felt sorry for a wet middle-aged woman stomping down the road late in the evening. They even offered to help me put my tent up in Ullapool! I had a couple of days off when I got to Ullapool and had a boat trip to the Summer Isles - well worth it.
bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Postby muymalestado » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:35 pm

Great to read. Inspiring. You have laid out the joys and pitfalls and make the whole exercise seem well worth doing at some future date. Your invocations to plan and plan again are well made.
muymalestado

Postby mountain coward » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:03 am

Congrats on your win - well deserved!
mountain coward

Postby beth grant » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:46 pm

Thoroughly enjoyed your report,thanks for sharing your adventures,made good reading on a cold January night!
beth grant

Munros:36   Corbetts:21
Fionas:14   
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Shona » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:52 pm

Fantastic report, with excellent photos. Would love to do this trail but I was knackered after the West Highland Way, not sure if the feet could handle it!! :D
Shona
Munro compleatist

Munros:8   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Mountainlove » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:55 pm

Great report ... I will try to follow your path this May. Regarding the red flags at Cape Wrath. I have walked the bit from Kervaig to Kinlochbervie and asked the ferry operator if there would be any action on the day I decided to walk accross Cape Wrath and he said no...I also checked the website which didnt give any information about any shooting. But when I came across the crossing I saw the red flags and like you decided to ignore them and walk further as I did not heard any shooting in the previous days.
Half a year after when I was at Sandwood Bay I came accross another couple who also turned back because of the flags and I kind of believe that they are not taken down at all because of the remoteness of them.
I would like to know if there was anyone who did not come accross them who walked the way...?
Please let me know.

Otherwise one question I do have regarding maps...I found out that you need 19 maps in total to do the CWT but I also read that some could be downloaded from the internet as uyou only need them for a few miles. Would you be able to let me know which ones I defenetely need???? Many thanks in advance
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

11 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes