walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

My Walk - 1432 miles from Aberdeen to Luxembourg -part4

My Walk - 1432 miles from Aberdeen to Luxembourg -part4

Postby Dan Scheer » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:08 am

Date walked: 16/04/2012

Time taken: 6 days

Distance: 145.1 km

12 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Link to part 3: http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=35083

Edinburgh to Morebattle

When my host left for work, I set off on my journey again. The day off had been useful and I felt pretty good when I walked out of Edinburgh, heading South to the Pentland hills. The sun was shining and I was excited to finally get away from civilization and into the hills. This also meant that I would need to start carrying food again for multiple days. I wasn’t keen on the pistachio idea anymore so I stopped at a Tesco and filled my bag with Jaffa cakes. They take up quite a bit of space, but they provide a good amount of calories per gram and space wasn’t an issue. I have always been a Jaffa addict, and they would become my main food source for the rest of the trip, usually eating two packets a day.

Once I got out of the city, the scenery changed very quickly. After a short stroll through a forest, the view opened up to large grassy valley with roaming sheep.

I bumped into two really friendly elderly ladies who explained to me that I was walking along an old drover road that farmers from as far away as Isle of Skye used to use to herd their cattle all the way to the London market once a year. This made me feel a bit strange, considering how much attention my walk was getting, yet in the past people would walk similar journeys every year. We really have become quite lazy!

Soon the path started leading uphill and I had fantastic views from the various peaks along the Pentlands.

I felt fit enough to blast on, but seeing those views, I really wanted to spend a night sleeping in the hills, so I looked for a nice spot and set up my camp. Despite the beautiful day, it suddenly got very cold, so I had to retreat into my sleeping bag. As usual when bivvying, it started raining shortly afterwards, so yet again, I had to zip it up and get ready for another uncomfortable night.

When I got up in the morning it was still raining and incredibly cold. I had to take several breaks from packing up my gear to warm up my fingers in between. My bivvy and sleeping bag got soaked again but I was in a great mood and got moving quickly. I was lucky enough to find a pub once I got down the hill and stopped for a couple of Guinness to warm me up. When I came out of the pub, the sun was out and I had yet another fantastic day, heading to Peebles.

Walking into Peebles, one of the first buildings I came across was a B&B with vacancies. This seemed a good opportunity to stop and give my gear a chance to dry out a bit.

The following day I set off towards Galashiels. For a while my route led me along country roads before I got bored of that and decided on a detour through a forest with a hilltop ruin.

Shortly afterwards my route joined the Southern Upland Way, which I would be staying on for a while.

As the day went on, I planned to sleep in a forest outside of Galashiels that I had seen on my map. Once I got there though I realized that the whole forest had been cut down. It had been raining on and off during the day and it looked like more rain was about to come down. I didn’t feel like sleeping outside in rain yet again without the cover of trees, so I looked up B&Bs in Galashiels on my smartphone. This meant a long walk for the day but I felt up to the challenge and booked a room. I had underestimated the time it would take me though and it got dark before I reached Galashiels

I enjoy walking at night with my head torch on, but I was worried that by the time I arrived the B&B wouldn’t let me in anymore. I broke my record that day, covering 25 miles and finally arrived after 11pm. Luckily the B&B owner had waited up for me and still let me in for which I was really grateful, I didn’t think I could have walked much further.

While I had breakfast the morning after it started chucking it down again. The nice B&B lady told me she would have to leave for the day, but I could just stay as long as I wanted and wait til the rain stopped. I gladly accepted the offer and went back to bed for a few hours. When it stopped raining in the afternoon I continued my journey and had pretty decent weather the rest of the day. I switched from the Southern Upland Way to St Cuthberts Way, which I would follow all the way to Kirk Yetholm, the start of the Pennine Way. With such a late start though, I only made it as far as St Boswells.

For some reason that day I started thinking about the future ahead of me and I got really quite grumpy and moody at the thought of going back to Luxembourg. At times so bad that I even sat down, looked back and considered just heading back to Aberdeen. The only thing that kept me going on was the walk itself, I enjoyed the whole experience far too much.

The following day I decided to not let these thoughts ruin my day again and just focus on enjoying my walk.
St. Cuthberts Way turned out to be really beautiful and my progress was great.

Kirk Yetholm would have been quite a long way to go though, so I stopped at Morebattle, a few miles away from Kirk Yetholm. I was pretty excited to do the Pennine Way. According to some websites it is supposed to be the toughest long distance walk in the UK. I wasn’t sure what to expect as I had no real long distance experience, so I decided to have another rest day in Morebattle before taking on this challenge. Overall I felt confident and ready for it, the walk from Edinburgh had been very smooth and blister-free, compared to the 13 blisters I had had between Aberdeen and Edinburgh.
The food was stunning in the B&B I stayed in so I didn’t mind getting to eat there for an additional day. My day off was spent reading. I had bought a Pennine Way guide book for my kindle and planned ahead a bit. It was just a bit irritating reading the book backwards since people tend to start the walk in the South and finish in Kirk Yetholm.

Last edited by Dan Scheer on Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Scheer
Mountaineer

Munros:36   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Islands:25

Re: My Walk - 1432 miles from Aberdeen to Luxembourg -part4

Postby clawinitiate » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:08 am

This just gets more interesting and has certainly got me doing some serious thinking on things I would like to do - especially since I have time! I'm finding it aspirational. Since this year was dominated by cycling and archery, I hope to walk more next year, or even still some in '13!
You've definitely convinced me on the hammock, I'll pick one up soon.

Oh and the comment about sheep drivers? As a professional historian (which still sounds weird), you could not be more right. Modern laziness is almost impressive vs. previous times or even recent generations.
clawinitiate
Munro compleatist

Munros:2   

Postby clawinitiate » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:09 am

Oh also, keep the photos coming! I've seen some but the commentary really puts them in context.
clawinitiate
Munro compleatist

Munros:2   

Postby RicKamila » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:21 pm

Really loving these reports. Not even out of Scotland yet and so captivating already. Have you thought about writing a book?
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Sub 2000:16   

Postby mrssanta » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:20 pm

Looking forward to the next instalment, as my brother and I did part of the Pennine Way backwards in about 1980.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby rohan » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:46 pm

Aother riveting read although your diet intrigues me. Jaffa cakes and Guiness! Another thread elsewhere on the WH website talked about suitable food for long trips. These 2 staples were not included.
I'm glad your feet are improving.
rohan

Postby Dan Scheer » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:19 pm

thanks everyone for the encouragement :)

give me a shout when you get your hammock clawinitiate and we can head out for a trip!

that would be pretty cool RicKamila, but I lack the writing skills to turn this into a book I am afraid :(

I would guess the Pennine Way is quite a bit easier to walk these days than when you did it mrssanta, I think they put down some paths over the worst areas.

I absolutely swear by jaffa cakes as hiking food by now! the sugar gives you the boost you need and they have enough fat to keep you going too. shortbread may be better but my stomach doesn't enjoy large quantities of shortbread, but I can eat jaffa cakes all day long :)
Dan Scheer
Mountaineer

Postby Marc Scheer » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:15 pm

Vill schéin Biller, manner text :wink: . Bleiwt awer super interessant, och deng Gedanken betreffend zeréck op Lëtzebuerg ze kommen ...
Marc Scheer

Postby Gable Gable End » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:25 am

Keep em coming gimp. Great reading and pics.
Gable Gable End
Mountaineer

Munros:64   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:7   

Postby Dan Scheer » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:55 pm

who are you calling a gimp?! :)

Just back from working in Shetland for a week, off on holiday for another week now, then I can finally get back to writing the next part. I haven't given up yet! :)
Dan Scheer
Mountaineer

Postby localadmin » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:26 am

slacker
localadmin

12 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes