walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

CWT - a Coigach-Assynt variant

CWT - a Coigach-Assynt variant

by Ch55 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:39 pm

Route description: Cape Wrath Trail

Date walked: 02/12/2013

Time taken: 4 days

Distance: 30 km

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: CWT - a Coigach-Assynt variant

Postby Mal Grey » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:36 am

matt_outandabout wrote:Old thread resurrection... I've not seen this one before.

:clap:

Inspiring stuff.

GLad you did, excellent adventuring.

To add a tiny bit to the oodles of useful information.

The crossing of the Uidha Fhearna is very dependent on water levels. We were there Easter 2015, and it would have been a thigh deep crossing at least. The mention of a canoe camp spot there is talking about one of the single best places to camp I've ever been.

At lower levels paddlers tell me its too shallow to canoe down, therefore an easy ankle deep wade at worst.

I don't think it helps the CWT much, but there is brief mention of the terrain from Clais to Fionn Loch looking rough. It is wild country, but not that bad - we portaged canoes and lots of gear over it on the same trip. Doesn't really help this particular traverse though, as it brings you out into the loch a long way from any easy crossing unless you have a packraft.

Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby willsdad » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:59 pm

:clap: Thoroughly enjoyed!!!
It's great to see Di in a report. Having been going up to that area for about 38 years, I know Di well. She's a character and you couldn't find a better human being.
I followed the Posties Path in 2014 having always heard 'whispers' of it for many years. It's a bit treacherous in places to be fair, but having also followed the CWT, it's no worse than the descent from Glomach Falls. (or the descent to Sourlies if you miss the up n over path and follow the river gorge) :lol:

I'm hoping, in the next couple of years, to head north from Coigach following (as much as possible) the coastline through past Lochinver and eventually meeting up with the CWT. Hopefully I won't need a pack raft!
willsdad
Backpacker

Munros:13   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:6

Postby Ch55 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:47 pm

Great fun to read this again. Thanks for the reminder and interest. Sounded like quite an adventure ;-)

Just ending another 3-month spell on Coigach, but too much annoying work to get out much. Was round at Di’s last night (has a brace of grandkids now repopulating the Achultibuie school, fwiw).

There has been talk of extending the postie path round the whole of Coigach. Quite a few bits are already paths or walkable, but beyond Garvie Bay until you reach the WMR looks pretty gnarly.
Did Garvie Bay again on Saturday in a bracing gale. https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=57538
One of the best ½ day walks up here. A mate wanted a nice stone for their garden.
He was a bit shocked to find it weighed 21kg!

P1190037.jpg
Ch55

Re: CWT - a Coigach & Assynt guidebook

Postby Ch55 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:07 am

Fyi, just got the new Coigach & Assynt guidebook for Xmas, published locally by coigach-assynt.org.
I know it's all on here for free (and we've done most of the walks) but a lovely production with great photos by Dougie Cunningham.

https://www.leadinglines.net/shop-1/coigach-assynt-guide

Ch55

12 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes