walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Wainwright Way (Coast to Coast).

The Wainwright Way (Coast to Coast).

Postby Gordie12 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:44 pm

Date walked: 17/06/2014

Time taken: 10 days

Distance: 331 km

Ascent: 9381m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This trip was booked last September and always seemed a long way away then all of a sudden I finished work on the Thursday afternoon and Saturday morning was approaching fast.

The weather forecast for day 1 was about as bad as it could get with thunder, lightning and torrential rain for the North West of England (memories of the West Highland way last year came flooding back - no pun intended).

We left the house at 4.30am and drove down to St Bees (my bag had to be dropped off before 8.30am), by 6am the shades were on and it was a beautiful morning. I kept looking to the horizon for the dark clouds but there were none. The further down the road we got the more I wondered if I might be able to get a couple of dry hours walking before the inevitable happened.

The bag was left at Stonehouse Farm in St Bees and I was ready to start the walk around 9am having collected my stone from the beach and stuck it in the rucksack.

Day 1 - St Bees - Ennerdale Bridge
Distance - 15.32 miles
Ascent 2554ft
Walking Time 05:08
Stopped Time 00:45
Total Time 05:53
Moving Ave 3.0mph
Overall Ave 2.6mph.

The coast line to the north of St Bees is quite lumpy and the day starts with a fairly stiff climb close to the edge of the cliffs. The track heads through a number of fields populated by sheep but there is an early indication that during the next 10 days I will have a close up view of a number of cows as well.

After about half an hour there was the hint of rain in the wind which seemed to have people diving for the waterproofs, seemed a bit over the top but at this time of year I rarely wear them as I get too hot. The rain never really came to anything at this stage so I just battered on along the coast. After 4 miles the route leaves the coastline behind and heads east toward Sandwith.

There is a mix of minor roads and country lanes at this stage and nothing much in the way of climbs so an easy start but by now the rain was heavier and I conceded defeat and put on the waterproof bottoms.

The only real climb of the day was Dent which is only 1131ft but still a fairly stiff climb in places. Coming off the back of Dent I descended down to a high stile and stopped to check my route. There was little in the way of wind, the air was moist and it was close, perfect midge weather but at least I was in England where there are no midges - or so I thought :shock: :shock: :shock: A couple of minutes later everything was thrown in the rucksack and I was on the move with a selection of bites down both arms.

By the time I got to Nannycatch Beck the rain was bouncing off the ground and the last couple of miles were completed as quickly as possible in really miserable conditions.

Overall, a decent start, nothing much in the way of climbs, a short distance and an hour and a half of dry weather before the rain arrived.

After a shower and some grub at the hotel the weather had improved dramatically and I headed half a mile up the next day's road for a recce in beautiful sunshine - things looked more promising on the weather front.

1.jpg
Heading along the coast from St Bees

Day 2 - Ennerdale Bridge - Rosthwaite
Distance - 17.66 miles
Ascent 3172ft
Walking Time 06:35
Stopped Time 01:00
Total Time 07:35
Moving Ave 2.8mph
Overall Ave 2.3mph.

At breakfast I was chatting to another walker who was doing the C2C and after checking out we were both leaving the hotel at the same time and ended up walking together for the next 4 days. This was a result for me as he had a really good knowledge of the area - not sure what he got out of it?

Bearing in mind his knowledge of the area it wasn't a good start as we took the wrong track within the 1st mile but after a short detour we arrived at the correct point to walk along Ennerdale Water.

The sun was out and this was a really enjoyable part of what was a great day as we headed along the narrow track passing various groups along the way.

At the far end of Ennerdale Water we linked up with a wide track that took us the near 5 miles to Black Sail Hut. This is a great spot, surrounded by hills and very enclosed. After Black Sail we were careful to ignore the main track and instead take the less obvious track towards Loft Beck. We crossed Loft Beck and took the right hand bank all the way up the wide ridge, we then contoured round before going over Grey Knotts and down to link up with the disused tramway that would take us down to Honister slate mine. Off the hill tops the heat was very noticeable so the Factor 50 was applied.

From Honister it was an easy downhill walk to reach Rosthwaite. Really good day, great weather and my first experience of walking in the Lake District.

2.jpg
Ennerdale Water

4.jpg
Prominent ridge up right hand side of Loft Beck

5.jpg
Looking down to Honister Slate Mine

Day 3 - Rosthwaite - Patterdale
Distance - 17.52 miles
Ascent 4763ft
Walking Time 07:43
Stopped Time 01:44
Total Time 09:27
Moving Ave 2.3mph
Overall Ave 1.9mph

Today was decision day - I needed to remember that after today I still had 7 days of walking some fairly high mileages but I also fancied doing the circuit of Dollywagon Pike, Nethermost Pike and Helvellyn.

The weather was more like day 1 than the day before so within half an hour the rain was on and an hour in to the walk it was a fairly constant heavy rain with limited visibility.

The climb out of Rosthwaite starts fairly gently then steepend the closer we got to Greenup Edge. As the guide book recommends we kept over to the right to avoid dropping down in to the Wyth Burn Valley. After a quick chat we decided we would get no views on the higher tops today so instead of my intended route we would settle for the lower tops of Calf Crag, Gibson Knott and Helm Crag. I was happy with this as all three are Wainwrights and I was keen to do a few while in the area.

With limited visibility it's difficult to comment on the views, all I can really say is the climbs were all straight forward and a bit on the damp side. The summit of Helm Crag looked as though it probably had the best views over looking Grasmere. The drop down off Helm Crag was steep on a well maintained track but all the stone slabs were wet and very slippy. Once down on level ground again we bypassed Grasmere, crossed the A591 and started the steep climb up Tongue Gill (we chose the alternative right hand track). After crossing the footbridge the initial climb was a good easy gradient which steepened as we approached Hause Gap and Grisedale Tarn. Surprisingly, after such a miserable first half to the day the weather improved and the sun came out for the climb up to Grisedale Tarn. When I saw the gradient of the climb up to Dollywagon Pike I was glad we decided to settle for the lower tops as it looked pretty unrelenting.

Grisedale Tarn is a lovely spot although probably busier than any other part of the lakes I was in during this brief walk through, Id love to come back and do a circuit of the tops in this area.

From Grisedale Tarn it's downhill all the way to Patterdale but the stones on the track were wet and we needed to be careful so it wasn't a quick journey. For once it was good timing, we were in the hotel for 5 minutes when the rain started to hammer down.

Although the weather had been a bit miserable for the first part of the day this was another really good day's walking.

6.jpg
Looking back to Helm Crag on the ascent up to Grisedale Tarn

7.jpg
Falls near Hause Gap

8.jpg
Smile for the tourists son

9.jpg
A sneaky look back as we head for Patterdale

Day 4 - Patterdale - Shap
Distance - 17.05 miles
Ascent 4786ft
Walking Time 06:49
Stopped Time 01:47
Total Time 08:36
Moving Ave 2.5mph
Overall Ave 2.0mph

Leaving Patterdale it was straight on to a steep climb up to Boardale Hause before taking the right of 3 tracks and heading on to Angle Tarn. From here there was a good track to within a few feet of the summit of another Wainwright (The Knott) so a 5 minute detour and I was up and down from the top. The wind was fierce this morning and it wasn't a day for hanging about on the top. We continued along towards High Street before turning sharp left and heading up to Kidsty Pike where I notched up my 6th and last Wainwright (of this trip). From Kidsty Pike there was a steep drop down to a track which took us the length of Haweswater Reservoir.

Leaving Haweswater behind we were also leaving the Lakes behind as we headed for woodland and fields rather than the hill scenery we had been used to for the last 3 days.

At Shap Abbey it took a while to find the correct route to avoid the private road but once we had our bearings it didn't take long to get in to Shap only to discover the village is about a mile long (or feels like it after a long day) and our B&B was the last house on the south side, luckily there was a pub where we could break the journey.

Another great day, good tracks, weather and scenery - sad to be leaving this part of the way.

10.jpg
Looking back to Patterdale

11.jpg
Angle Tarn

12.jpg
Looking back to Kidsty Pike

13.jpg
Lunch spot overlooking Haweswater Reservoir

Day 5 - Shap - Kirkby Stephen
Distance - 21.1 miles
Ascent 2763ft
Walking Time 07:07
Stopped Time 01:22
Total Time 08:29
Moving Ave 3.0mph
Overall Ave 2.5mph

We left Shap on a bright and sunny morning and after crossing a couple of fields found our way to the M6 footbridge.

What with a motorway, the west coast rail line and the cement works all close at hand it felt like we were suddenly back in civilization (still no phone reception though).

East of the M6 the hills are much lower and rounded so the dramatic scenery was behind us and we now had more rolling moorland and fields to negotiate. The scenery was still good, just different.

Our biggest navigation problem today came after Sunbiggin Tarn, a track to the left around 300m beyond the minor road was indistinct but we hit the point where the sat nav was telling me to head left. Conversely the Wainwright guide my 4 day walking pal relied on suggested we needed to carry on further on a straight line towards a gate in the distance. We went with the guide book and needed a fair amount of heather bashing to get back on line as per the sat nav.

Best part of today's walk for me was the mile before and after Smardale Bridge, a lovely old bridge in a remote part of moorland.

Near Kirkby Stephen we were under a railway underpass when we managed to miss a steam training passing overhead - bummer, would have loved a couple of photos.

Arriving in Kirkby Stephen we hit the pub before checking in to our respective B&B's - I think he was a bit surprised when he grabbed a bench by the roadside and watched over our gear and I then came out with a tray and 4 pints of lager - in fairness the first pints went down fairly quickly allowing us to savour the second without heading back inside.

After checking in we met up at a pub then headed to the Mango Tree for a really good curry before saying our goodbyes as he had three 12 mile days whereas my schedule was about to step up with some big mileage days.

14.jpg
Somewhere between Shap and Kirkby Stephen - just can't remember where........

15.jpg
One of many stone barns I would see over the next few days

16.jpg
Smardale Bridge

Day 6 - Kirkby Stephen - Reeth
Distance - 24.66 miles
Ascent 3185ft
Walking Time 07:42
Stopped Time 01:18
Total Time 09:00
Moving Ave 3.2mph
Overall Ave 2.7mph

Another sunny and warm start to the day as I had a look around Kirkby Stephen before heading down to Frank's Bridge and following a track along the river bank towards Hartley. After having company for 4 days it seemed a little odd to be on my own again.

The first mile to Hartley was on a fairly level good track which made for really easy walking but once past the village I faced a steep tarmac road that took me past the quarry and on as far as Ladthwaite where the tarmac ended and was replaced by a decent track. Just over a mile beyond Ladthwaite it was time to head up to Nine Standards on the May - November route. The ascent wasn't very steep so it didn't take long to get to the top where I spent a few minutes taking some photos. I had read that south of the trig point was a bit of a bog - I can confirm that that is definitely the case :shock: :shock: . It took ages to weave in and out of the bogs trying to find decent jumping points and tufts of grass that could support my weight. The 3 miles from Nine Standards to the link up with the December - April track took ages and I was glad when it was finally over.

After another mile the wide track disappears at a hut, the guide book says the track disappears but it's still possible to follow the flattened grass track thanks to all the C2C walkers who had gone before me. Following an indistinct track and keeping a fence to my left I eventually reached a track that came out close to Ravenseat farm. The farm does cream teas and cakes and this was to be a rest point for my companion of the last 4 days but I needed to carry on as I still had a fair mileage to cover and the section beyond Nine Standards had cost me a lot of time.

After Ravenseat farm the route goes through a field with poor drainage. That and a herd of cows being in the field recently meant that walking was tricky and the boots were a bit wiffy...........

It was good to get back on to higher ground before the track gradually dropped down to the outskirts of Keld and this was where I made my first big mistake. I was a bit fed up with bog hopping as there had been a lot of it so far, the road I was on was really quiet so I decided to stick to the road for the next 12 miles to Reeth. Ordinarily I wouldn't consider this but after five and a half days without a single foot problem I probably got over confident so just went for it.

The road meanders down through a number of small villages and this must be part of the route for the Tour De France at the beginning of July as there are a number of warnings about parked cars being towed away and the villages all have their banners out and bikes secured to the gable ends of houses.

After a couple of miles I met a photographer who was spending all day by the roadside capturing shots of the stone barns and the Dales and he was telling me a bit about the history of the area. It was warm so the other advantage of choosing the road was finding a shop and having a couple of bottles of coke and a white chocolate Magnum - heaven!!!!!!!

By the time I got to Reeth my feet were really hot and I had the makings of a few blisters but I hoped things weren't too bad.

This was the longest distance I had covered either during a long distance walk or on a single day walk at 24.66 miles.

17.jpg
Nine Standards

18.jpg
Almost a barn for every field

19.jpg
Buttercups in full bloom

Day 7 - Reeth - Danby Wiske
Distance - 29.35 miles
Ascent 1646ft
Walking Time 08:55
Stopped Time 01:30
Total Time 10:25
Moving Ave 3.3mph
Overall Ave 2.8mph

What's the worst thing you could do the following day after 12 miles of road walking - yip, a near 30 mile day.

Today started off with a nice riverside track followed by a couple of miles of tarmac on a minor road before heading through woods and a field to Marrick.

After Marrick, things started to unravel a bit. Firstly there was a lot of field walking but the farmer had been in and cut his grass fields in the previous day or two so where normally you could see the flattened route, today there was nothing to follow. I managed to head off in completely the wrong direction through 3 fields before checking the sat nav and realising my error and finding my way back to the correct point near Nun Cote Nook. From here past Ellers and Marske Hall the route through the fields was obvious but two of the fields contained a bull and I had to detour round the corner of the fields keeping as far away from them as possible while they kept a close eye on me. I was glad to get out of both fields and I then picked up a road which took me in to Marske.

In Marske there was a road sign showing Richmond 6 miles and a combination of the bulls and the distance I still had to cover convinced me the sensible thing to do was to cover some more miles on tarmac. This is where things started to go downhill fast :(

Within a couple of miles I could feel the pain of blisters on the balls of my feet with the left being worse than the right. This was going to be a problem.

In Richmond I stocked up with supplies, headed over the Richmond Bridge and in to the woods close to the River Swale. The next few miles were a combination of woodland and arable farm tracks so no livestock issues. The track leading to the underpass for the M1 is currently shut so I headed down the farm track and then along the A6136 to cross the motorway at Brompton On Swale.

Time was pressing on so I chose to use the side of the B6271 as far as the track down to Ladybank House and it was then a case of following a narrow track down the side of arable fields until arriving at the farm just beyond Moor House. Here, the cows were all being funnelled up a narrow section of field about 30 yards wide to a water trough before they headed in to be milked. Cows don't bother me much but having around 30 on the other side of a gate in a confined area is different. They were in no hurry to go anywhere and I waited on my side of the gate for 10 minutes but they just stared back at me while they queued for the water. I had more or less decided to head back down the track a couple of miles and take the road when I saw the farmer outside his barn. After a brief chat he offered to walk me through the cows and we ended up chatting for 15 minutes before I was on my way again.

After a few more fields I came out on to a minor road and walked down to Streetlam then another mile and a half to Danby Wiske. I was glad to arrive at my B&B, I knew my feet were now a mess but I just wanted to get to my room and stick them in some cold water. At the B&B the first thing I was told was that they had no water, the plumber was working on it but it was another 2 hours and after 8pm before I could have a shower.

This was a hard day and I was now suffering for my decisions of the last couple of days.

20.jpg
Richmond Castle

Day 8 - Danby Wiske - Clay Bank
Distance - 21.97 miles
Ascent 3505ft
Walking Time 08:18
Stopped Time 01:06
Total Time 09:24
Moving Ave 2.6mph
Overall Ave 2.3mph

Double layered with Compeed to the balls of my feet, single layered for a blister to my left heel and to both little toes (which seem to be growing in size every day and are now competing with the middle toes in size) I set off in the rain for Clay Bank.

This is meant to be a holiday, I should be having fun but I just want this finished :( :( :( .

After a mile on the road it's time to enter the fields and with the weeds and crops about three feet high and soaked I need to put on waterproof trousers. After trudging through numerous fields I arrive at services on the A19 and stock up with my usual coke and Jaffa cakes.

It took 10 minutes to get a gap in the traffic so I could cross the road and after walking through Ingleby Arncliffe and Ingleby Cross I was suddenly faced with my first real hill for several days. After about a mile I was on the Cleveland Way which I would stay with until reaching Bloworth Crossing.

It was good to be back in the hills again, they're not the highest but any hill after this stage is still a test. There is also a fair old drop between each hill so quite a lot of climbing to come. After an overcast and wet start the sun has come out and the day has warmed up.

Beacon Hill was my first climb, this one was more gradual and tree lined before reaching the summit close to some telecom masts. As I mentioned, a lot of height was lost before climbing Round Hill and this one had a very steep start through the trees before easing off once on open moorland. Gold Hill and Carlton Moor follow before dropping down to Lord Stones Café. I was only a couple of hours from my finish and didn't want to stop so carried straight on and climbed Cringle Moor, Cringle End and Wain Stones. These are all great little hills, I found I could climb up them all without stopping but because of the condition of my feet I needed to stop on each descent. A lot of work has been done on the paths around here and there are a lot of uneven stone steps which are great for reducing the damage caused by thousands of boots but they don't half play havoc with dodgy feet. I had the best of the day as I came off the last hill at about 5.30, the visibility was terrific and I would have loved to stay longer but I needed to get to my B&B.

Arriving at Clay Bank I walked a mile down the road when a car pulled up and offered me a lift, I was in the car before the guy had the chance to ask where I was going. Turns out he owns the local pub and regularly picks up people from Clay Bank if they are staying the night with him. He took me all the way to my B&B which was a relief because it was further than I thought and would have taken me another hour.

22.jpg
I'm wincing just looking at this path

23.jpg
And smiling looking at this, great little hills these

Day 9 - Clay Bank - Glaisdale
Distance - 19.77 miles
Ascent 1313ft
Walking Time 06:42
Stopped Time 00:52
Total Time 07:34
Moving Ave 2.9mph
Overall Ave 2.6mph

Having had my feet in ice at the B&B last night the swelling has gone down a bit, more Compeed has been applied and I'm starting to think I'm going to get to Robin Hood's Bay.

Another drizzly start with very poor visibility, Stuart from the B&B dropped me off back at Clay Bank so I was able to make a start at 8.30am.

Leaving Clay Bank there is a steep pull up on to Carr Ridge, thereafter it's an easier climb to reach Round Hill. After Round Hill the track is wide and smooth and my feet are as close to heaven as they can get. After leaving the Cleveland Way at at Bloworth Crossing it's more easy walking on a disused railway line over the moor, again this surface is smooth so after 9 miles the feet are still happy. From Bloworth Crossing to the Lion Inn I had runners passing me and when I got to the pub and met a marshall he told me there was a marathon on. After the Lion Inn I did a few miles of road walking but there was a good even grassy area adjacent to the road that I was able to use when I wanted. After a couple of turnings I picked up a track to Glaisdale.

The last 6 miles of the track was all on a gentle downslope, sounds perfect but the track was stony and I think it was probably the slowest and most painful 6 miles I have ever walked. Hobbled to my B&B and headed straight for a shower.

Once the mist lifted (after about 8 miles) the scenery was really good up on the moors and as with the day before there were a lot of people around.

24.jpg
Heading for Round Hill

Day 10 - Glaisdale - Robin Hood's Bay
Distance - 21.11miles
Ascent 3090ft
Walking Time 07:15
Stopped Time 01:07
Total Time 08:22
Moving Ave 2.9mph
Overall Ave 2.5mph

I had arranged to meet Andrea at 4pm in Robin Hood's Bay and I was a bit concerned about how long the last day would take me so I arranged an early breakfast and was walking for 8am.

After walking the length of Glaisdale I entered East Arncliffe Wood and then some road walking to reach Egton Bridge. I missed the track to Grosmont (through Egton Estate) but the owner of the pub beyond the railway station saw me and gave me a shout to let me know so a quick backtrack and I was back on course. The track through the estate was flat and smooth so it didn't take long to reach Grosmont. I had noticed the climb out of Grosmont on the map but one in three is a fair old slog so it was a relief to reach a quarry entrance where the gradient levelled off (and I could see the North Sea).

After crossing the A169 there was a good track down to Littlebeck followed by a couple of miles of woodland passing The Hermitage and Falling Foss along the way. Past New May Beck farm a track on the right took me to the B1416 with the last 100 yards being a bit boggy. After a short section on the B1416 I took the track on the left to Hawsker. Once back on the moor there were two tracks almost running parallel with each other, I chose the lower track but after about 500 yards when the track ended I knew I needed to get over to the other track. As it would be very feint I used the sat nav to locate it and head for a stile, followed by a field and then a very stony hedge lined fence down to a road. The rough track near the road had been the first time I had a problem with my blisters so it had been a good start to the day.

I was now only a mile from the sea and having walked through Hawsker it was a bit weird to walk through a caravan park down to the coastal path. The last 3 miles along the coast are quite lumpy in places but being so close to the finish it didn't matter now.

It was fitting that the last field I had to walk through to reach Robin Hood's Bay was full of cows. I was telling them about my walk from coast to coast but to be honest they didn't seem that bothered.

In to Robin Hood's Bay I walked quickly through the new part of the town but then as the steep drop down to the bay started there were tourists all over the road holding me up. I wanted to shout "get out my way, I'm walking the coast to coast" but instead just tried to meander in and out between them as and when there were opportunities. And then there it was, the Bay Hotel and the end of the walk except of course I had my stone to throw in to the sea and the tide was out.

Had a quick pint sitting outside the Bay Hotel, signed the book and picked up a fridge magnet before we headed back up the steep hill to the car park.

Despite the self inflicted feet problems I still really enjoyed this walk and I know I will definitely return to the lakes to take in some more Wainwrights. The quoted distance is normally 192 miles and my total distance came in at 206 miles but this included walking to my accommodation, navigation deficiencies (there were a few) and consciously deciding to take longer road sections.

The feet have now had two days rest and look to be recovering. The Compeed has been removed and whilst I'm still hobbling around the house hopefully it won't take too long before I can get the walking boot's on again.

25.jpg
Toll charges on wall of Toll House on Egton Estate

26.jpg
Cliffs near Robin Hood's Bay

27.jpg
THE END
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Re: The Wainwright Way (Coast to Coast).

Postby walk aboot » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:49 pm

Looks like a good walk and great photos too (love the 'smiling' sheep) :) . Ha, I collect stones on my walks as well :)
walk aboot

Munros:36   Corbetts:4
Donalds:1
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:27

Postby Gordie12 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:32 am

Hi walk aboot

It was a good walk and I was fairly lucky with the weather.

I've wanted to do a C2C for some time so now that it's out my system I can have a decent think about where to go next year.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby Nigels3011 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:00 pm

Enjoyed the photos. Brought back a few memories. My God, its now 24 years since I did the C2C!
Nigels3011
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:9
Fionas:6   
Hewitts:45
Wainwrights:37   Islands:3

Postby Gordie12 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:01 pm

Nigels3011 wrote:Enjoyed the photos. Brought back a few memories. My God, its now 24 years since I did the C2C!

Hi Nigels3011

You should head back next year to celebrate the 25th anniversary............................................
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby raykilhams » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:04 pm

Hi Gordie ,
Really enjoyed your report , memories come flooding back of our walk . Maybe do it the opposite way next time. Only two weeks to go before we walk our next LDW , Keld to Kirk Yetholm , to finish Pennine Way , your pics and report have us looking forward to it .
Thanks Gordie.
Ray.
raykilhams
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:9   

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:16 am

Hi Ray

Hope the weather gods are kind to you and you get good weather for the 2nd half of the Pennine Way. My plan is to do the Pennine Way next year but still to sit down and work out a schedule.

Schedule for the C2C worked out fairly well but the day from Reeth to Danby Wiske at 29.3 miles was a bit on the tough side.

I've got a fortnights holiday in August and I'm going to see if I can sneak off for 3 days, I remember on a previous post you mentioned the St Cuthbert's Way and it does look good.

Anyway, enjoy the Pennine Way and don't forget that report (I'll add it to my research!!).

Gordon
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby Slogger » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:03 pm

I enjoyed reading that, and great photos by the way. Curious though as to why you headed up the broad ridge on the right hand side of 'Tongue Beck' rather than going up the 'Loft Beck' gully to the left.
Slogger
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:125
Wainwrights:141   

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:54 pm

Slogger wrote:I enjoyed reading that, and great photos by the way. Curious though as to why you headed up the broad ridge on the right hand side of 'Tongue Beck' rather than going up the 'Loft Beck' gully to the left.

Well spotted Slogger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd love to tell you that the C2C is not a way marked route and Wainwright himself encouraged peeps to find their own route but the truth is, we made an arse of it :lol: :lol: :lol:

We convinced ourselves our route was correct then on the way down to Honister slate mine we started passing people we had already lapped miles back down the track. We never really found out what went wrong ( despite getting the maps out and carrying out a full post mortem whilst downing a couple of pints) other than everyone else seemed to find the correct rout other than us.

I like to think that we got to see some great views that nobody else on the C2C were party to (whilst extending the route by a couple of miles).
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby Slogger » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:21 am

Well I think you did very well getting back on route, especially as you didn't realise you weren't on it. I know some who also went up that grassy ridge and ended up in Seathwaite and two other guys during my 1st C2C, that Id met before Black Sail. I explained to them to make sure they turned left up Loft Beck, only for me to look back down from past halfway up there and see them heading straight for the grassy ridge. I shouted but they were out of earshot.
Slogger
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:125
Wainwrights:141   

Postby Gordie12 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:06 pm

Slogger wrote:Well I think you did very well getting back on route, especially as you didn't realise you weren't on it. I know some who also went up that grassy ridge and ended up in Seathwaite and two other guys during my 1st C2C, that Id met before Black Sail. I explained to them to make sure they turned left up Loft Beck, only for me to look back down from past halfway up there and see them heading straight for the grassy ridge. I shouted but they were out of earshot.

Once we realised what we had done I took the opportunity to climb Grey Knotts before we headed down to pick up the Tram way path so I'm glad we had a blip as I had the chance to climb another hill. It's difficult to decide on tactics when you want to do as many Wainwrights as you can but at the same time you don't want to empty the tank when you still have a week of walking to complete after leaving the lakes.

I really need to get back there soon - absolutely loved the area.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby Graeme D » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:07 pm

Fantastic effort Gordie and a cracking report. Have you got shares in Compeed now? :lol: I remember a well earned pint in the Bay Hotel last summer! Mind you that was only after the coastal walk down from Whitby, although I had carried Ailsa on my back the whole way which was purgatory! This is a big ambition of mine - one day! 8)
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes