walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.

First walk in Scotland: WHW

First walk in Scotland: WHW

Postby StevenF » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:48 pm

Date walked: 24/03/2008

Time taken: 2 days

Distance: 33 km

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hello everyone, I'm a long time lurker and visited Scotland twice and Wales as well. As I used walkhighlands to prepare the last three hollidays and am planning a fifth visit to the UK I decided to start making trip reports. It's fun and maybe some of you will enjoy them :-)

The first time was during easter 2008. The plan was to visit Glasgow, walk a part of the WHW, visit Fort William and then take the train to visit Edinburg for two days.

After some sight-seeing in Glasgow we took the bus to Drymen (we only had two days so decided to skip the first stage).

The WHW is considered a beginners walk on this forum, but it certainly is worth it in my oppinion!

Setting of, all smiles

Suddenly it starts snowing after 45min walking: unexpected!

First view of Loch Lomond

Conic Hill

The first view of Ben Lomond

The summit was crowded, although it had snowed a bit in the morning the sun was coming out and I think a lot of people were of the opinnion that going up Conic Hill and a drink in Balmaha afterwards was a good idea. They were right :-)

Clear skies after the decent to Balmaha.

Fire in the oak three inn. (nice food as well)

We spent the night in a bunkhouse in Balmaha. The first day was a succes, although the walk was a bit too short.

The next day we had planned to walk to Rowardennan, and if time permitted walk up Ben Lomond.

Start of the day: the weather was brilliant, blue skies everywhere!

Ben Lomond was almost always in sight, taunting :-)

Problem with my shoe

Problem solved!

We reached Rowardennan at 12:15 and decided to leave our backpacks at the hostel and climb the Ben with a small backpack (some food and 1l water). 1l water for two people turned out to be way too little, lessen learned for future walks :-)

start of the ascent!

going up

The views of Loch Lomond are becoming better and better.

Closer and closer, but it took longer then expected.

I think we were the only ones who had the summit for ourselves. As we were going up over 100 people descended, must have been crowded at 12:00 with everyone having something to eat on the summit.

My boot solution failed during the last km's of descent...

Two nice days in the highlands and when the holliday was over I decided that next time I would spend more time in the hills and less time (preferably none) in the cities.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

StevenF
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:75
Wainwrights:77   

Re: First walk in Scotland: WHW

Postby whirlwind17 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:33 pm

Nice reading your experience. I am so sorry for what had happen to your shoes. But nevertheless your trip is awesome. :clap:
whirlwind17
Mountaineer

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes