walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Boudica's Way (Norfolk): 2. Upper Stoke to Shotesham

Boudica's Way (Norfolk): 2. Upper Stoke to Shotesham

Postby jonathan - norfolk » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:08 pm

Date walked: 16/01/2015

Time taken: 0.3 days

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 85m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Parked up by the phone box in Upper Stoke and walked northwards to link up with the circular route previously taken and then followed a circular route to link up with the original path of Boudica's Way back to Upper Stoke. In fact, all of this little circular route is part of Boudica's Way as there is now an alternative way-marked route for those not visiting the Roman Fort at Caistor St Edmunds (although not all of it is marked as such on my OS 1:25000 map).
Once back to my car, it was then on southwards along the road. Not my favourite section at all. Having just done a significant amount of road walking, another 25 minutes worth wasn't what I wanted, particularly as I had to reverse it to return to my car. I don't think that my four-legged companion was particularly impressed either. On the plus side, the road was fairly quiet, I wasn't wading through ankle deep mud and/or water (as does happen on some sections of this route at this time of year, the sun was shining and the countryside is very pleasant. As time was limited today, I turned around at Abbot's Farm and retraced my steps. Total distance today (16.01.2015): 5.6 Kms (3.5 miles) +/- 46m

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

In order to complete this section I decided to start from Shotesham, as the car parking is much better there - by the church is good. Shotesham is a particularly attractive village and is the starting point for some excellent circular walks. Waymarking on this particular stretch isn't very good, however, with close attention to the map it's eay navigation.
It's actually less than 3 Kms if you're only walking it in one direction, however, I wasn't, and the circular walk shown is a total of around 5.3 Kms (3.25 miles) and +/- 40m. This section was completed on 31.01.2015.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

jonathan - norfolk
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:15
Fionas:11   Donalds:22
Hewitts:242
Wainwrights:214   Islands:3

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes