walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cape Wrath Trail Fast and Light: 230 miles in 11 days

Cape Wrath Trail Fast and Light: 230 miles in 11 days

by Outdoors Father » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:33 pm

Route description: Cape Wrath Trail

Date walked: 16/05/2015

Time taken: 11 days

Distance: 350 km

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Cape Wrath Trail Fast and Light: 230 miles in 11 days

Postby Outdoors Father » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:43 am

Hi Sruthanach, I actually read your report a couple of months ago and was momentarily tempted again to do it in a leisurely way, but my odd addiction to challenge sends to do it in April in even less time (8 days!).

I have updated my footwear from this trip, using a more robust Altra Lone Peak 2.0, great zero drop and sturdy shoe. I have some experience with the Salomon, and despite being on the softer/more flexible side of outdoor footwear out there, they are still a bit too much for me. I've been carrying an old army injury and find that my legs can't push more than 20 miles (35km) in boots, but certainly can with shoes. I think this has to do with heel roll and knee compensation, the same issues that long distance cyclists have with locked clits.

As for a second pair of shoes, this is already in the gear list, though I will be using my Luna sandals, which I have used for running many times in the past, so if the weather is fair and the trail forgiving I might be using those for some walking too.

It is a great trip and I am looking forward to do it again, I'll be looking for your name in the bothy books!
Outdoors Father
Scrambler

Postby lloydy » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:02 pm

A great read. Very informative and interesting. As I'm planning to do the CWT in June, although more over 15 - 16 days. Your details have been very much appreciated. Especially your information on travel cost etc. I was struggling to find that type of information. Thanks for your report and well done indeed..
lloydy
Munro compleatist

Postby Outdoors Father » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:37 pm

Glad you found it informative lloydy, what is your plan for the trip? I'm planning on doing it again in april, this time slightly quicker... Are you going solo?
Outdoors Father
Scrambler

Postby willsdad » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:28 am

Hi Gilad,
I'm doing the CWT this May. I've attempted to do it fast before and failed miserably so I know how much of an impressive feat you've achieved.
I'm watching with baited breath for your April challenge.
I'll be doing it at a more leisurely pace and, at some point, getting overtaken by the Ultra crew. I'm hoping they don't disrupt my overnight plans with their masses :roll:
I'm watching your preparation on your own website and pinching tips here and there. I don't envy the diet you're planning though. To me food is to be enjoyed :wink:
Good luck!
willsdad
Backpacker

Munros:13   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:6

Postby teddywalker » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:39 pm

buzzard wrote:What a brilliant report this is, full of much appreciated information including the good and bad at the end. I am building up to do this trail myself and will definitely refer back to this report again and again. :clap:

I am doing the whole of the Scottish National Trail starting on the 1st of may 2016 with my dog Teddy carrying a 95lb Bergan, I have walked around the coast of Britain for 2 years, and done many more walks I would like to compete this walk in 6-8 weeks and then at cape wrath turn about and walk back to Kirk Yetholm. watch this space and by the way I am ex army 35 years done.
teddywalker
Munro compleatist

Postby pkbissett » Fri May 12, 2017 9:37 am

You captured the lows of hiker emotions very well, I think all of us long distance backpackers can empathise with you 100%. It's amazing what prolonged periods of rain can do to morale, that cold and soaked through feeling.

One thing I learned from an early age was to keep a constant eye on my map and regular compass bearings ... especially on path-less hikes. The buzz word is micro-navigation, and particularly with 25:000 series maps. I was point-man one day on an Outward Bound expedition in NSW / Victoria, and led the 12 man team down a path that got us all lost ... as well as my pride. From that day, I heeded my leader's instructions to rely on map and compass. Funny thing is, he knew we were getting lost but waited till we realised it. Valuable lesson.

Regarding waterproof clothing, I have come across a pair of water proof trousers on eBay that ARE waterproof ... so much so that I also used them in the snow too. They are army combat grade, and lined with goretex. The upside is they are waterproof, the downside is they are 422 grams. and yes, they are camo pattern.

If anybody is interested in doing this Cape Wrath trail this June (2017) and would like some company then do let me know.

Peter.
pkbissett
Munro compleatist

Postby zafar9 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:38 pm

buzzard have you got round to doing this trail?
zafar9
Mountaineer

Postby Malkie » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:57 pm

i have read your report it is excellent and i learnt a few things. I am walking the trail starting next thursday i am hoping to get the ferry as i am going north to south as i did it seven yrs ago the other way so i am hoping for good weather and thankyou for a great report.
Malkie
Mountaineer

Munros:18   Corbetts:2
Fionas:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:3   

Postby AllanMathieson » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:11 pm

Brilliant report and so much useful information it is incredible. Would you recommend this for a semi fit but very experienced hillwalker/rock climber who is ow aged 64?

Allan
AllanMathieson
Mountaineer

Postby motorlaunch » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:07 pm

AllanMathieson wrote:Brilliant report and so much useful information it is incredible. Would you recommend this for a semi fit but very experienced hillwalker/rock climber who is ow aged 64?

Allan

Age is no barrier. I have completed the walk twice since retiring. Don't book accommodation in advance, this can put you on a treadmill especially if the conditions are against you. You always have your tent. If you must book return travel arrangements in advance, have a few days slack at the end. Buying supplies along the walk can be an issue. There aren't many shops and their stocks can be low. Some walkers post parcels out to accommodation they plan to use. Go for it.
motorlaunch
Mountaineer

Postby Bearded Wanderer » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:34 pm

Truly epic.

I read this on the basis of planning the last leg of my own Scotland End to End: so far I've covered the Tweed to Inverness via Fort William and the Great Glen, but have no great wish to walk to John O' TouristTrap..

I have a thought on your dead ereader problem. My experience with Kindles is that they are designed for sitting on a commuter train, but the Southern Rail Experience is probably their limit. Mine was also found to be a goner when taken from the top pocket of my rucksack one evening.

I don't like to advertise, but I concluded that if a Kobo Aura H2O can survive being dumped in the bath it can probably survive being dumped in a burn. It also (unlike at least the earlier versions of the Kindle) has a lit screen, so you can read it in your sleeping bag after dark without recourse to head torch batteries. It has about 30 hours of battery life, so even if you find yourself weathered in to your tent for a day you should have reading material.

Mine has served me on long trips much better than the Kindle did.
Bearded Wanderer
Hill Bagger

Postby Outdoors Father » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:45 am

AllanMathieson wrote:Brilliant report and so much useful information it is incredible. Would you recommend this for a semi fit but very experienced hillwalker/rock climber who is ow aged 64?

Allan

Allan, I agree with motorlaunch, age is definitely not the barrier but skills, a leveled head and determination. I'd recommend having flexibility in the timing and I think most people with mountain and navigation skills with be able to enjoy the CWT.
Outdoors Father
Scrambler

Postby InstituteofWander » Thu May 31, 2018 10:22 am

Thank you for this description! A truly inspiring one. And well written. Thanks again! Planning the trail for next spring myself.
InstituteofWander

Postby kateslattery » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:08 pm

Thanks for the excellent report! It made for great train reading after work and something I hope to achieve when my knees get a bit more stable in the next year or so (rehab rehab rehab!).

If you are still after some minimal hiking shoes, I'd highly recommend Vivobarefoot Tracker FG. I've been using mine fore 2 years now and have used them in snow and mud and they've been amazing! I just did the West Highland Way in them and they fared just as well, (if not better) in terms of waterproofing, as the rest of our group. They've got ample space for your toes as well as ankle support.
kateslattery
Mountaineer

Munros:163   Corbetts:13
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:20   Islands:7

Postby The_Real_SF » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:40 pm

Fantastic write up - really interesting about the kit and equipment that survived and that which did not.

Please write more. Really useful and I think I will attempt this in 2019 before the crowds begin to discover it.
The_Real_SF
Munro compleatist

67 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes