walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cape Wrath Trail Fast and Light: 230 miles in 11 days

Cape Wrath Trail Fast and Light: 230 miles in 11 days

by Outdoors Father » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:33 pm

Route description: Cape Wrath Trail

Date walked: 16/05/2015

Time taken: 11 days

Distance: 350 km

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Cape Wrath Trail Fast and Light: 230 miles in 11 days

Postby crfishwick » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:35 pm

Excellent report. After I gave up a few weeks ago I could not possibly do that mileage even in my youth. :lol:

Although I can't seem to believe:
. " It is important to remember that this doesn't include my packed food that ended up costing a couple of hundred pounds." for 11 days? Seems extreme to me nearly £18 per day!. :shock:
crfishwick

Postby crfishwick » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:27 pm

raywalker wrote:why sleeper train to Inverness then bus to fort willy? I used the sleeper train from London direct to fort willy £17.50 single.

That must have been a few years ago! The cheapest ticket nowadays from only Preston to FW is £32 with a railcard on the sleeper.
crfishwick

Postby arbredejudee » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:54 pm

What a useful, beautiful, thorough report you've written! I've read the whole thing slowly twice, with my OS maps, Google Satellite and Google Topographic open while reading (also my copy of the Bothy Bible). Thank you!

I will add that having walked Knoydart, the Glen Dessary Estate, Glen Pean in its challenging totality (to Oban Bothy at Loch Morar), during the course of a cross-Scotland walk, I'm just amazed that you were able to undertake CWT without a solid pair of hiking boots with ankle support, and neoprene slippers for fords and evenings. And somehow, without OS maps (?). Bravo for your courage!

Loved also following you through homesickness and renewed contacts with your beloved family. Thanks again, you've really helped me as I begin to study for my own hoped-for CWT, June 2020, at a slower pace than yours. Well done!
arbredejudee
Mountaineer

Postby crfishwick » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:44 pm

raywalker wrote:why sleeper train to Inverness then bus to fort willy? I used the sleeper train from London direct to fort willy £17.50 single.

I thought that. :wink: But at the beginning of the report it looked like he was going N to S originally Inverness is logical. :wink:
crfishwick

Postby ScotFinn65 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:46 pm

I don't know which is more impressive, your achievement on the CWT or your fantastic account of your journey.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks for taking the time to write this and for sharing.

Inspiring !!
ScotFinn65
Hill Bagger

Munros:119   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:3
Walk wish-list

67 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes