walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cape Wrath Trail in 16 days, July 2015

Cape Wrath Trail in 16 days, July 2015

by Sruthanach » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:10 pm

Route description: Cape Wrath Trail

Date walked: 11/07/2015

Time taken: 16 days

Distance: 355 km

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Cape Wrath Trail in 16 days, July 2015

Postby Dunni » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:55 am

Interesting read and full of usefull Information. We (Party of 3 chicks) want to do it in May. I´ve bought already the Harvey Maps. I was wondering, how your experience with the tent Big Agnes was? Maybe I´m looking for a replacement of my Wechsel.
Your trick with the Neopren sandals are Gold. I use them for 10 years now. They cost around 7€ and last for about 2 hard core hikes. Also a good and light spare foodware in the City (you have to ignore the glances though :D )
XX
Dunni
Dunni
Scrambler

Munros:178   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:5

Postby Sruthanach » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:22 pm

Many thanks Dunni. Good luck in May and I hope you enjoy the trip as much as I did.

My Big Agnes is the one-person version of the Copper Spur, the UL1. As I was trekking on my own I wanted an ultra-light tent and I was not disappointed. It weighed next to nothing and when dismantled it fitted in bits into the outer zipper pockets of my rucksack, so it could be accessed and pitched very quickly. I was particularly impressed by the way it stood up to wet windy nights, and also by how well the flimsy groundsheet kept out the damp.

It has a side entrance so you need to be careful to avoid the rain getting in. Also, as with any ultra-light tent, you need to handle it carefully. But I would recommend it without hesitation.

Glad you have the same experience as me with the wet suit boots. (Though, as a man, I find that if i am wandering around with something compact and black on my feet no-one gives my feet a second glance!)
Sruthanach
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:214
Fionas:13   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:138
Wainwrights:93   Islands:15

Postby Sruthanach » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:29 pm

For anyone contemplating the CWT and proposing to use the Cicerone guide (which I definitely recommend) it is worth ensuring that you use the current edition (second edition published in September 2015) which picks up a few important updates on the first edition (none of them crucial but they might save you a bit of time). Also check the Cicerone website for further updates on http://www.cicerone.co.uk/product/detail.cfm/book/817/title/the-cape-wrath-trail#.VpeFBmeBqUk. This now includes a couple of worthwhile navigational points which I sent to the publishers following my CWT in July 2015.
Sruthanach
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:214
Fionas:13   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:138
Wainwrights:93   Islands:15

16 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes