walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Dalmally to Fort William

Dalmally to Fort William

Postby beech » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:15 pm

Date walked: 07/03/2016

Time taken: 5 days

Distance: 100 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The limitations I set for my walk were:

• Solo
  • Self-supported
  • 5-6 days
  • Train stations at start/finish
  • Wild camping

I checked the avalanche risk beforehand and it looked dodgy with recent non-bonded windslab and warm weather due so took the decision to not walk high level (800+m) which added another limitation:

• No ice-axe/crampons.

I took the decision to walk from Dalmally to Fort William, use some of the West Highland Way and see how the weather panned out.

Yet, I still wanted to make the most of any good weather / snow conditions to take in some mid-height walking (500-800m) and get a feel for the variety that West Highlands offers.

Route

Dalmally train stn
Glen Strae
Lairig Dhoireann
Glen Kinglass
Loch Dochard
Victoria Bridge
Kinghouse Hotel
Devil's Staircase
Blackwater Reservoir
Glas Bheinn
Luibeilt
An Steall
Fort William train stn

New_Route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

High-level bits

1. Lairig Dhoreann
Dropped rucksack and attempted climb of Meall Copagach.
Got to frozen snow with about 60m to go and gave up

2. Devil's Staircase
Turned left(W) and climbed Stob Mhic Mhartuin. Descended via
Sron a' Choire Odhair-bhig to briefly re-join West Highland Way
Really good and clear views down glens feeding into Glen Coe like Lost Valley and compex features/ winter mountaineering routes like NE face of Bideam Nam Bian
All soft snow except small areas of north-facing slopes on descent - this was easily avoided.

3. Glas Bheinn
Shallow slopes of semi-frozen snow
Just about saw Ben nevis peeping over Mamores?
Avoided small lochan at end of ridge and after Carn Dearg

Any other hazards

From Luibeilt on, avoided any high bits because of low level cloud for 2 days which melted snow and made for dramatic river crossings / Steall gorge.
If dangerous, would walk up a stream to safer crossing point rather than wade across.

Put camping gas canister in sleeping bag when I woke up for 30mins so I didn't just burn off the propane in butane/propane mix.
Tried to avoid condensation in sleeping bag by briefly sunning it when I could.
Tried to avoid sweating by needlessly wearing raincoat and kept salt intake / water going.

Reflections
I was lucky with weather. If it had rained I'd have done 100% West Highland Way instead of just the bit from Victoria Bridge to Devil's Staircase.
Enjoyed flexibility and freedom to take decisions about route / exercise judgement and basically build experience, which I lack compared with what I've read mountains can throw at you.
Made sure I was prepared to walk back same way on snowy sections.
On a personal level, I need(ed) to boost stamina/fitness and there was an aspect of endurance which helped in this regard.
Being on lowish mountains in the middle of massive ones is very scenic, especially when they plateau out and all you can see is snow, mountains and blue sky. :D
For me, these scenic memories and mini adventures prevented walk becoming too focussed on endurance (which is not without its merits).
Enjoyed the Steall wire bridge.

Apologies for no photos, I didn't take a camera.

It was a fun trip. Maybe if my friends read this they'll be persuaded to join me next time!
beech
Scrambler

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes