walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

West Highland Way Video Blog/Vlog

West Highland Way Video Blog/Vlog

Postby andrewl7642 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:18 am

Route description: West Highland Way

Date walked: 03/10/2016

Time taken: 6 days

Distance: 154 km

Ascent: 430m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The West Highland Way was Scotland's first long distance route and remains by far the most popular. Stretching for 151km from Milngavie on the edge of Glasgow to Fort William at the foot of Ben Nevis, the route offers a fabulous introduction to the Scottish Highlands.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I completed the West Highland Way for the third time, during the first week in October 2016, backpacking, carrying all my gear, camping throughout. It was the first time I've been camping in October but it was quite mild, infact the weather was great and it miraculously stayed dry for the whole week.

I planned to do things different this time by wild camping throughout most of the trip.

So Monday morning I arrived in Glasgow by train and as everybody else was heading to work I was heading on another adventure. A quick Coffee stop at Costa and I got on my way.

I am not going to go into too much detail this time because I've already written two reports on the West Highland Way, however I produced a 6 day video diary which can be watched below. (Please note fyi, I am not a wanted criminal the balaclava was worn for two reasons, reason one, because I don't want to be recognised when I go out in public and reason 2, It attracts more attention on Youtube.) :)

Day 1
Travel to Milngavie
Milngavie to Drymen (12 miles)
I walked the first 12 miles between Milngavie and Drymen and spent the first night camping in the woods.

Day 2
Drymen to Rowardennan (14 miles)
Rowardennan to Loch Lomond (4 miles)
On the second day of my trip, I covered approximately 16 miles between Drymen and Loch Lomond. I pass through Balmaha and Rowardennan and find a camping spot by the bonnie banks of Loch Lomond.

Day 3
Loch Lomond to Inverarnan (13 miles)
On the third day of my adventure, I walked approximately 14 miles from Loch Lomond to reach Beinglas campsite at Inverarnan. I stopped at the Inversnaid Hotel for lunch, and visited two bothies en-route.
I meet a familiar face at The Drovers Inn.

Day 4
Inverarnan to Tyndrum – 6 miles
Tyndrum to Bridge of Orchy – 7 miles
It's another long day as I drag myself approximately 18 miles from Beinglas campsite at Inverarnan to Bridge of Orchy, where I find myself wild camping by the River Orchy. I stop for supplies at Tyndrum.

Day 5
Bridge of Orchy to Inveroran – 2 miles
Inveroran to Kingshouse 9.5 miles
Kingshouse to Kinlochleven – 8.5 miles
On the fifth day of my trip, I walked 21 miles from Bridge of Orchy to Kinlochleven, passing through Inveroran and Glencoe. I stopped at Kingshouse Hotel for a Muffin break before ascending the Devils Staircase. I camped at Blackwater Hostel & Campsite in Kinlochleven.

Day 6
Kinlochleven to Fort William – 16 miles
On day 6, I walked 16 miles from Kinlochleven to Glen Nevis campsite on the outskirts of Fort William where I got refused table service at the Glen Nevis restaurant because they didn't like the look of me!

On the final day I continued to Fort William and completed the West Highland Way.

I spent two nights at Glen Nevis campsite.
On the first night after my 16 mile walk I tried to go for a nice meal at The Glen Nevis bar and restaurant but they would not provide me with a table for one. I was not happy at all, since it wasn't even busy, I was told to use the bar even though there were no free seats in the bar so I had to walk another 4 or 5 miles all the way into town and back just for some fish and chips. I DO NOT recommend this restaurant!! (rant over)

The following day I completed the last few miles (again) into the town to take some final photos and videos of my trip. I was going to get the bus home but realised there was no bus until late afternoon so I returned to the campsite and took a walk up Ben Nevis.

Here is the full playlist on Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkKzcFZf5cR28RFrfUd4J3ZGynstsCOZQ
Last edited by andrewl7642 on Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.
andrewl7642
Scrambler

Munros:16   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: West Highland Way video diary

Postby nick70 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:54 am

Excellent blog mate. Very informative and amusing. I am tackling the Way next week. I had a route planned, but i am now thinking of following your route.

Shocking about the restaurant at Glen Nevis camp site, rest assured i won't be giving them my custom.

Cheers again :D :D
nick70

Postby andrewl7642 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:12 pm

There is only the one official route, Nick.
You might want to consider adding on an extra 12 miles though, by starting from Glasgow City Centre and walking the Kevin Walkway to Milngavie. I completed the walk last weekend and made a video which I'll be uploading to Youtube later tonight. Have a watch of it, if it appeals to you. :thumbup:
andrewl7642
Scrambler

Postby AmieMac » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:08 pm

I spent about three hours last night watching your video diary. It was far and away the best documentation of the WHW I've seen so far (and I've seen a LOT - because I'm kind of a junkie). Having done the Way almost five months before your trip, it brought back so many wonderful memories for me...and details that I'd forgotten. I'm planning a second WHW trip next May with some friends and I'm sending them a link to your video diary, so they'll know what they're in for. I know they'll enjoy it as much as I did.

I'm so glad you decided to do the Ben after all. It was such a grand day for it, I was so disappointed that you weren't going to do it. I mean really, who gets seven glorious days of sunshine in a row in the Western Highlands? I was literally yelling at my screen, saying, "OMG, you HAVE to do the Ben! No No No!" So yeah, for what it's worth, you made this girl very happy that you were actually able to do it. Glad you missed the bus!

Your videos were hilarious, as well as informative. Kudos to you! I'm so excited for my second WHW adventure, and your videos have been an inspiration. Oh, and thanks for the ear worm. That West Highland Way song is now firmly stuck in my craw. :lol:
AmieMac
Mountaineer

Postby andrewl7642 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:24 am

Glad that you enjoyed it AmieMac, I enjoyed making it. Thanks for the positive feedback. :thumbup: :thumbup:
andrewl7642
Scrambler

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes