walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

West Highland Way April 2017

West Highland Way April 2017

by nick70 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:56 pm

Route description: West Highland Way

Date walked: 15/04/2017

Time taken: 7 days

Distance: 150 km

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: West Highland Way April 2017

Postby Malkie » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:18 pm

I really enjoyed your report the WHW was my first LD trail when i was 71 in 2005 and like yourself i carried to mutch and seeing your video it was a lot different without all the trees and it was the old finish.
Malkie
Mountaineer

Munros:18   Corbetts:2
Fionas:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:3   

Postby nick70 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:59 pm

Josiemcl wrote:Your report was really funny. You captured the feel of it excellently, it's a shame about your physical problems and issues with your walking partners.

Well done on completing. It is something I would very much like to challenge myself one day.

Thank you for your kind word Josiemcl. It truly is an epic walk, you would very much love it if you ever done it.

I enjoyed it that much that I'm doing it again next month, accompanied this time lol :D
nick70

Postby nick70 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:07 pm

Malkie wrote:I really enjoyed your report the WHW was my first LD trail when i was 71 in 2005 and like yourself i carried to mutch and seeing your video it was a lot different without all the trees and it was the old finish.

Thanks Malkie for your kind words and I'm glad you liked report and video. Apologies for the swearing, I'm not the best with new technology lol.

Fair play and well done to you on tackling when you were 71. I can only imagine it has changed quite considerably since 2005. I know some people aren't happy at the new end point but I don't mind the walk into centre of Fort William, plus there are also more pubs available lol :wink: I am hoping to tackle again next month with a friend, so hopefully I will put another report up.

Once again, thanks for reading report, watching video and your positive comments. I do really appreciate people taking time and effort to comment.

ATB to you.
nick70

Postby Low Level Walker » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:46 am

I really enjoyed reading your report, very funny and very entertaining. It certainly brought back many memories of the times I have walked it.

Did your relations (step-son and fincee) ever go back to tackle it?
Low Level Walker
Scrambler

Munros:12   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:9   Islands:3

Postby nick70 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:09 pm

Low Level Walker wrote:I really enjoyed reading your report, very funny and very entertaining. It certainly brought back many memories of the times I have walked it.

Did your relations (step-son and fincee) ever go back to tackle it?

Hi Low Level Walker

Thanks for your comments. No they never got back to tackle it again. TBH I think it was more a flight of fancy for them. They like the idea of doing it but aren't prepared to put in the hard yards.

I can't really see them doing it truth be told, I think they find it difficult to walk to corner shop for a carton of milk :shock:

Thanks again for comments. I appreciate all feedback and people reading report.

Nick
nick70

13 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes