walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.

WHW June 2017 - Logistics Questions

WHW June 2017 - Logistics Questions

Postby kmclatchie » Thu May 04, 2017 12:47 am

Date walked: 04/05/2017

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hello there,

I'm flying to Glasgow from the US to walk the WHW in June. I'm landing early in the morning and heading to Milngavie. I've tried searching the forum for answers to these questions but didn't have much luck. I'm hoping you can help!

- Is there a shop in Milngavie or Drymen where I can buy Jetboil fuel. (can't fly with it.)
- Has anyone shipped gear for pick up at post office (Poste Restante)? Do you know if the post office in Milngavie accepts mail Poste Restante?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

-Kirstin
kmclatchie
Mountaineer

Re: WHW June 2017 - Logistics Questions

Postby Beaker » Fri May 05, 2017 3:51 pm

kmclatchie wrote:Hello there,

I'm flying to Glasgow from the US to walk the WHW in June. I'm landing early in the morning and heading to Milngavie. I've tried searching the forum for answers to these questions but didn't have much luck. I'm hoping you can help!

- Is there a shop in Milngavie or Drymen where I can buy Jetboil fuel. (can't fly with it.)
- Has anyone shipped gear for pick up at post office (Poste Restante)? Do you know if the post office in Milngavie accepts mail Poste Restante?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

-Kirstin

I think I remember reading somewhere that The Iron Chef on Station Rd may sell camping gas of some type. You could drop them a line to check - think they're on Facebook.
Beaker
Scrambler

Munros:51   Corbetts:6
Grahams:4   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:83
Wainwrights:69   Islands:18

Postby MacLean » Sat May 06, 2017 8:57 pm

I'd buy anything like that in milngavie as drymen shops are a little off the route unless that's a stop for you
MacLean
Hill Bagger

Munros:13   Corbetts:2

Postby Buggiba » Sun May 14, 2017 10:21 pm

The Iron Chef in Milngavie is also the base of the Travel-Lite, bag-carrying, company so should be easy to locate and contact.
Buggiba
Mountaineer

Postby kmclatchie » Mon May 15, 2017 8:07 pm

Thanks so much. I reached out to The Iron Chef via Facebook. I'll post an update once I hear back for future folks looking for the same.
kmclatchie
Mountaineer

Postby Lunco » Tue May 23, 2017 12:31 am

The shop by the Oak Tree Inn (I think it's their shop but not 100%) in Balhama was well stocked with all sorts of gear. I'd ring the Inn and ask, if they can check.
Lunco

Postby kmclatchie » Tue May 23, 2017 1:05 am

Lunco wrote:The shop by the Oak Tree Inn (I think it's their shop but not 100%) in Balhama was well stocked with all sorts of gear. I'd ring the Inn and ask, if they can check.

Thanks - I'll give them a ring.
kmclatchie
Mountaineer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes