walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Great Glen Way, Solo Hike in November 2016

Great Glen Way, Solo Hike in November 2016

Postby slaveoth » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:36 pm

Route description: Great Glen Way

Date walked: 02/11/2016

Time taken: 4 days

Distance: 127 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hello

In November 2016 I managed to walk Great Glen Way. It was my second long distance trip in Scotland after WHW. I started in Fort William and it took me 4 (3,5 actually) days to complete the whole route. The first day was lovely and I planned to wildcamp everyday but I got completely soaked during the next two days so decided to stay at Backpackers Lodge in Drumnadrochit. The only mistake I did was walking the route in too fast pace which led to foot pain :?

Here is a quick recap from the walk:

Wednesday 20km
12:30-15:45 Fort William to Gairlochy
16:30 wild camping at Loch Lochy before Bunarkaig

Thursday 38km
07:45-11:30 Bunarkaig to Laggan
11:30-14:00 Laggan to Oich Bridge
14:00-16:00 Oich Bridge to Fort Augustus
16:30 wild camping

Friday 37km
8:30-11:00 Fort Augustus to Invermoriston
11:30-16:00 Invermoriston to Drumnadrochit, Backpackers Hostel

Saturday 32km
8:00-11:00 Drumnadrochit to Eco Farm
11:40-16:15 Eco Farm to Inverness

Overall I had a good time and short stay at Backpackers Lodge boosted my energy after 2 days of rain. If you have any questions dont hesitate to ask :) I`m going to Scotland again in September and November to walk another 2 long distance trails so before Xmas I`ll do my best to post a short reports and videos. I wish everyone a good hiking summer :D

And if you havent already seen my video on youtube, please do :wink:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYJvijGaOGM&t=137s
slaveoth
Mountaineer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes