walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

SUW - DAY 6 - Glen Pollmullach to Wanlockhead - May 2017

SUW - DAY 6 - Glen Pollmullach to Wanlockhead - May 2017

Postby bargee » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:30 pm

Route description: Southern Upland Way

Date walked: 11/05/2017

Time taken: 1 day

Distance: 23 km

Ascent: 720m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Day 6 an easier day, at least a shorter day, only 14 miles from Pollgarn farm in Glen Polmullach, where I'd been picked up the night before to Sanquher and onto Wanlockhead, but it involed a climb out of the glen and then a long decent into Sanquher then a climb out and up into the hills passing over two ridges to drop into the village of Wanlockhead.

The day dawned with another clear blue sky and no change on the sun beating down, I was actually looking forward to a day of rain but the forecast said the rain would hold off until Saturday so another 2 days of walking in this heat, it must have been a sweltering 25 degrees :roll:

As this was a shorter day we didn't rush leaving our accommodation but it was a long drive round from Bargrennan about 60 miles and an hour and 45 mins to get there so I didnt get walking until 10.30.

The first section was a steady climb gaining height along the valleyside through grassy sheep grazing. the views down the valley were superb.
After crossing Cloud hill the path drops to cross a boundary wall in a saddle and then climbs over a shoulder on Whing head and the long gradual decent to Sanquher comes into view. I was so glad at that point I had called off the stage early yesterday as it would have been hard on the legs and i would have been worrying about the time and rushing, where today I could appreciate the easy decent and springy grass and spend time watching a buzzard circling as I dropped down to Sanquher.

ImageCath leaving me behind for another day
ImagePollgarn farm in Glen Polmullach; A sign outside invites walkers to stop for a rest, knock on and buy a brew or icecream
Image looking back over Pollgown farm and up the glen i had walked down yesterday as I started the climb up onto cloud hill.
ImageGlen Polmullach from the shoulder of Rough Hill
Imagethe way climbing higher over the shoulder of rough hill heading for cloud hill at 451m the climb was quite easy in fresh legs in the morning, the sun was still warm though.
Imagenear the top of cloud hill looking back towards Benbrack and colt hill, the striding arch on the latter was just visible

Imagelooking south down Glen Polmullmach, some big crags there.

Imagedropped off cloud hill to cross this boundary wall

Imageand finaly Sanquher comes into view in Nithsdale nearly 5 miles away

Imagegetting closer

ImageDown in the bottom of the valley and into farmland and stone walled roads

Into sanquher and I was too busy grabbing a icecream and drinks as It was so warm than taking pictures of this town. This was the first place i had passed through that had open shops when i was there, in fact there was only Dalry yesterday morning where there was a shop there being no shop at New Luce and Bargrennan.

Leaving Sanquher the way follows a tiny road that passes under the railway and turns into a bridleway that climbs sharply up to a memorial to one of the rides of the marches that gather here. Then it follows a straight line across the fields heading for the hills to wanlockhead, there are 2 hills to cross with a steep decent in between but I knew i only had 6 to 7 miles to walk and felt good so cracked on.

Imagethe grassy climb out of sanquher after passing under the railway

Imagelooking ack over the town to the decent from cloud hill id just walked.. the old guy 84 i think he said was walking his dog up the bridleway alongside me and we had a short chat

Imagethe views open up behind as i climb higher

Imagethe gathering place for the ride

Imageview northwards along Nithdale

Imageheading up over those hills, but which one i was wondering as i walked across this level moor

Imageshort drop to cross a stream and shoo some cows

Imageguardian of the bridge

Imagestraight up this one it seems to be. the climb up onto the highest point on the way over to Cogshead. no name for the hill but it was steep enough.

Imageup onto the top and the next climb over the side of glen bager hill can be seen, but it s not flat to get there
Imagefirst got to drop into this valley and pass the ruined farm of cogshead which can be seen to the right of the trees and then climb up the otehr side the path can be seen running left to right

Imagefelling of the trees was in progress using some impressive machinery

Imagelooking back up at the decent

Imagethe last climb of today 12 miles done

Imagemade the top of the hill and looking back

Imagethe top of the climb, downhill from here
ImageGood path down into the lead mines

Imageand Wanlockhead comes into view and the foirst sight of the golfball on Lowther hill, tomorrows objectiver

A much easier day after three long days and despite lengthening it it passed quickly, though the heat was hard to walk in, I just want some cloud or shade, i come North for colder days , if i wanted weather like this id walk in the canaries.....

Loving the walk and the distance i'm walking across the maps each day.
bargee
Mountaineer

Munros:9   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:77
Wainwrights:108   Islands:19

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes