walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

SUW - DAY 11 - Galashiels to Lauder -May 2017

SUW - DAY 11 - Galashiels to Lauder -May 2017

Postby bargee » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:00 pm

Route description: Southern Upland Way

Date walked: 16/05/2017

Time taken: 1 day

Distance: 19 km

Ascent: 360m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Day 11 -
An easy day
a walk along the river tweed then a long straight walk along an old roman road to lauder
only 12 miles.

Cath dropped me off on the other side of the rugby ground and i dropped down off the bridge to the path alongside the railway and across the viaduct over the tweed where the SUW comes in after a detour around the outskirts of Galashiels. Alongside the railway to Tweedbank station where two 158s were sitting in the platforms waiting to form services to Edinburgh. The car park alongside the station was full showing how popular the new railway is. I hope it gets extended towards Hawick soon.

leaving the spartan station behind the route follows the old railway onwards round a few industrial units before it joins the river path towards Melrose.
This riverside walk is lovely and I met several other people walking their dogs in the morning sunshine.
The chain bridge over the Tweed is soon reached and after crossing, its back along the other bank, stopping to pick up a geocache before leaving the riverbank to head up hill and away, 3 miles done.

Imagethe Tweed passing under the viaduct
ImageThe new Tweedbank station
ImageTwo Scotrail 158s in the platform,
hop on and I could be in Edinburgh in less than an hour

ImageOff along the cycle path that follows the old railway formation
ImageSoon joining the river along a pleasant path
ImageThe chain bridge comes into view
Imageback along the other bank

From the road just off the riverbank the way heads uphill along a track then a short road section and off again climbing all the way through fields filled with sheep. its easy going but the weather was closing in from the west again and the wind was getting stronger, only one heavy rain shower, but the walking was easy and the views long and the way was straight, very straight, only crossing one minor road. The next 12 miles just passed easily and I was dropping down into Lauder to meet Cath at the car park on the edge of the town.

Imagetrack heading up away from the Tweed
ImageLooking back to Galashiels and the weather looming on the hills beyond
ImageThe Eildon hills, not visited this time, maybe when i come back for another long distance walk
ImageImage
Imagethe final drop down to Lauder with tomorrows hills in front

The day is a good stride along a high level track like the Downs, good country nothing exiting but satisfying as the miles roll past under your feet.
Only 2 days to go now.
bargee
Mountaineer

Munros:9   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:77
Wainwrights:108   Islands:19

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes