walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

West Highland Way with my 12 year old

West Highland Way with my 12 year old

by CraigD53 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:28 pm

Route description: West Highland Way

Date walked: 03/08/2017

Time taken: 8 days

Distance: 150 km

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: West Highland Way with my 12 year old

Postby nick70 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:31 pm

There isn't anything really I can add to what others have said. A truly, amazing, inspiring and uplifting account. Massive congrats to Jack, you must be immensely proud of him. The one thing I find most amazing above all, is that it wasn't something that you coerced him in to, rather it was him asking you to do it with him.

Once again, an excellent account. I look forward to watching the videos :clap: :clap:
nick70

Postby chrisw66 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:56 pm

Great report. This brought back so many memories for me and of the 2 occasions I walked the way with my sons when they reached their respective teens. My youngest son had Wi-Fi withdrawal to start with on his walk, but all was soon forgotten. As young adults they still talk about the great time they had, I’m sure your son will feel the same. I’m off to do it again next month with the Mrs (it has taken a long time to convince her) she has tackled most of the Pentland hills(she’s a Penicuik lass) and a couple of Munros so I’m convinced she will love our trip. I might do a wee report myself :lol:
Thanks again for the read
chrisw66
Munro compleatist

Munros:6   

Postby BrianG86 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:34 pm

I realise this was a couple of years ago now but I had to comment. Loved this report, my favourite report I've read on this site. What an achievement for your boy, you must have been so proud of him (even I felt proud of him haha). Think I might have got a bit emotional reading it. It has inspired me to get my girls out and doing things like this, I'm sure they'll thank you for that :shock:

I was buzzing to watch the videos but it looks like they aren't working anymore :(

Anyway, class report and hopefully you've managed to keep your boy interested in adventures
BrianG86
Mountain Walker

Munros:78   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:5

Postby CraigD53 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:13 pm

Thanks for the comments :D

Just found out Jack had changed the videos to private so the links won't have been working for a while :lol:

They should be working again now :D
CraigD53
Backpacker

Munros:24   
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   

Postby td5jim » Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:42 pm

Very new to this site but had to comment. As a fairly new father your 'and finally' point brought a lump to my throat. Inspiring stuff!
td5jim
Hill Bagger

Postby neil684 » Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:19 pm

Brilliant post, took me back to when I walked the WHW with my 13 yr-old son.
neil684
Mountain Walker

41 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes