walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Weaver's Way, Norfolk - 2. Aylsham - Stalham

Weaver's Way, Norfolk - 2. Aylsham - Stalham

Postby jonathan - norfolk » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:51 pm

Date walked: 25/09/2017

Time taken: 1 day

Distance: 30 km

Ascent: 120m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

29.10.2016 Aylsham - Felmingham/North Walsham
Once the busy A140 is crossed, this is a very pleasant section of the walk along a disused railway line, (disused, that is, by trains - it is now very popular with dog walkers and clearly sees a bit of regular use as a bridleway) with only one minor road to cross, although it may be prudent, as well as polite, to keep dogs on leads as you walk around the stables. Eventually, after crossing the brook (which has trout and therefore has pretty good quality water, certainly for dogs) the path enters a railway cutting which is now a Butterfly reserve, before passing by a good sized car park off the minor road to Felmingham village. St Andrews church (nine bells in working order) is well worth a visit if you've a few minutes to spare.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The section from the A140 Aylsham bypass to the car park at Felmingham is 2.75 kms in length +35m (double for the return trip: 5.6 miles/9 kms +60m. Allow 2-3 hours) This is a very pleasant section along a disused railway track and includes a butterfly nature reserve. This section is much used, and understandably popular with dog walkers.
The walkers car park at Felmingham allows a further "out and back" walk to North Walsham, (about 2miles/3kms each way) again a very pleasant section along the disused railway line, to be done in two sections. No map - it's so straight forward.

North Walsham circular (North Walsham - Meeting House Hill) 25.09.2017
This circular route, to a very large extent, utilises a section of the original pre-1997 route combined with the current way-marked route. 6.25 miles/10 kms.

There is a small car park with space for about eight to ten cars at TG 275 300 at North Walsham, or for four or five cars by the church at Meeting House Hill.
I walked this as an "out and back" from Meeting House Hill, although I'd intended to return by the alternative Weaver's Way route that avoids the town centre. It isn't much further, but as this was my first excursion with walking boots and a rucksack since having a hip replacement eight weeks ago, I cut the distance down as I was feeling quite tired after an hour and a half or so. 6.5 miles proved sufficient exercise for the day.
It's an interesting enough section, and I like North Walsham. The Market Cross and St Nicholas' Church are well worth a proper look, and refreshments may be had in the town. The next opportunity is quite some way off.
For those doing the Weaver's Way as a backpacking route, I would suggest that North Walsham is a very good place to consider finding and arranging accommodation for the night.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

North Walsham - Meeting House Hill
The direct route from the car park north of North Walsham to Meeting House Hill is just 3.25 miles/5.25kms +17m

14.10.2016 Briggate, Honing Staithe and the Dilham Canal
This was, essentially a short "out and back" route, however, I did include the short circular canal walk signed off Weaver's Way and visit Honing Staithe. Both the canal and the staithe are somewhat overgrown,as was the path, which was also muddy.
This section of Weaver's way follows the old disused railway line (parking is at, what used to be, a small station, the platforms are still there, but the buildings have been largely demolished) and the walking very pleasant.

2.25 miles / 3.5 kms +9m (1 hour)

21.10.2016 East Ruston to Stalham
Another "out and back" walk from the Weaver's Way car park. A pleasant, easy walk along an excellent path that follows a disused railway line, with only one (very busy) road to cross, so excellent for dogs provided they are put on a lead well before the gates (before and after the main road) are reached.
This stretch passes through marshes and water meadows and today there were small flocks of Redwings and Fieldfares in the bushes on the sides of the path and skeins of Pink-footed Geese flying overhead.
I met a couple with a Springer and a Labrador and a couple of cyclists and that was it. Very quiet and relaxing walking with my dogs.

4 miles / 6.25 kms +11m (2 hours in total)
The distance reflects the distance for the complete (i.e. incl. return) walk.

jonathan - norfolk
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:15
Fionas:11   Donalds:22
Hewitts:242
Wainwrights:214   Islands:3

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes