walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

SUW - DAY 13 -Longformas to the end or nearly - May 2017

SUW - DAY 13 -Longformas to the end or nearly - May 2017

Postby bargee » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:55 pm

Route description: Southern Upland Way

Date walked: 18/05/2017

Time taken: 1 day

Distance: 29.5 km

Ascent: 610m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The final day and a bit of a disappointment after yesterdays excellent moorland walk to Twin Law.
Weary legs also contributed to the feeling and I was also low that this first long distance path that i have done in one go was coming to an end, after thirteen days i wanted it to continue. That doesn't shine a good light on the last day and it is an excellent walk, just after the days before it is an anticlimax

the route, today, crosses undulating upland pastures with no end or sea in sight until the A1 is reached,
Some pleasant woodland to walk through, lovely river valleys and an excellent footbridge.

I got wet in a very heavy rain shower in the afternoon as well but other than that the sky was cloud and sun.

The last section was very frustrating with a steep drop down into a dale by a caravan park and the route takes a route back and forth through the nature reserve before the final climb up onto the cliffs to the village of Cove where I decided to end the walk rather than walk inland to the official end.

Here are the last days photos

Starting the day back at Longformacus where Cath dropped me off to start the final 18.5 miles to the east coast

turned right then up the hill to a SUW info board shelter outside the gate house to an unnamed hall

Image then Left down this tree lined lane.

Along the lane I saw rabbits, a Falcon and a Hare bounding across the adjacent field; the route ahead lies over the hills in front.

looking back to what i assume is Longformacus hall

The way turns right off the lane and uphill into the fields

And up onto an engineered path across the fields with a wind farm for company and visual intrest.

But the path turns left and avoids the turbines heading through a plantation

Last view of Longformacus

the way through the woods between the plantations.

over the rise and the view onwards opens out

The way emerges on a minor road by another gate house, Whitchester Lodge, quickly across the road and back up onto the valley side

looking back down to Winchester lodge and the rise Id just descended

great views as the way contours along the valley side.

5 miles in and descending into a 'Clough' (sorry using my Northern English word as cant remember the Scottish one) and into a plantation to follow a track through the woods that will lead to Abbey St Bathans

after 7 miles arrive into Abbey St Bathan and sat on a welcome bench and had my lunch. A lovely spot, found the cache here too, only one of the day.

The excellent footbridge over the Whiteadder water, cue the next mile or so thinking about the black adder II episode with the whiteadders and comedy breasts

ImageJust a lovely lovely spot

the path alongside the whiteadder was lovely too with some superb trees a noticeable difference from the normal fir trees

brilliant sculpture at the ford as the route turns left up a side valley

The way follows a clear track up the side valley, passing a couple of houses and walking beside a beck, there was a hut dug into the river bank with a chimney for a stove giving away its presence, Ilicit still?

Imagechimney can be seen on the right.

ImageAfter turning off the track the path winds through a recently planted wood and is wet in places and very high grass before emerging into fields and climbing up to a minor road, but still no sign of the sea

ImageThe minor road, 10 miles into the walk,
the route crosses the road to cut across further fields but I decided to follow the road to walk past a roadside trig point

Imagethe trig point at TP6900 - Whiteburn, clouds were looking threatening and a heavy rain shower swept in off the coast and drenched me for 15mins and I sheltered under a tree adjacent to the track

Imagesheltering from the storm on the track down to Blackburn mill and the crossing of the tiny Eye water

ImageAfter rounding Blackburn mill farm the route puts you into a field with cattle and ankle breaking holes from their hooves whilst the farmtrack you were on follows on the other side of the hedge, must have been a request from the farmer but it seems odd; Then it rejoins the track and climbs uphill to a row of terraces, I stopped on the way up to take the picture after i had been talking to the friendly cows. the trees next to the track in the distance was where I sheltered from the rain.

Outside the terraces was this lovely Bentley. from here onwards to the A1 was all tarmac for a mile and half.

Imageand the A1 comes into sight; nearly there, 13.5 miles done 4.5 miles to go or should that be 215 miles done 4.5miles to go. :clap:

Image Crossing the A1 takes you onto the old A1 adjacent to the East coast main line for a few hundred yards, bit of rubbish along here from flytippers but then once across the road bridge over the railway it's back to great woodland tracks along the bottom and then climbing the side of the valley

Imagethe path zig zags and climbs up through a dense forest and then opens out to give the first view of the North sea. Yeah!! I sat on the provided bench at the viewpoint that in previous logs has been unobstructed but the trees are growing back fast and as you can see above the view is getting restricted

ImageThe way drops steeply down to a minor road by this viaduct that spans the Pease burn, a steep gorge, Ive looked for history of the bridge but all I can assume it was built to give access to the railway station on the east coast main line as the stonework looks comparable to a railway viaduct build.

Imagemore sea views from the Pease burn bridge

ImageFrom the bridge the next mile or so is very frustrating with the route descending then contouring through the nature reserve, down steep wooden steps then across the burn and back up the other side slightly rather than heading straight to the coast; a pleasant place but frustrating at the end of a long day to be winding around a steep sided valley.

ImageImage
As has been said before the Pease Bay holiday park is not a fitting place to hit the coast, but the sun was shining and once climbing up above the caravans the superb coast views were excellent
ImageImage Rounding the headland I met Cath who had walked along the cliff path to join me and we walked back to the village of Cove perched above the tiny harbour and this is where i decided to end my coast to coast walk. with a celebratory beer and sit on a bench on the cliffs and look out to sea. Next cross the sea and coast to coast in Norway and Sweden....... Nah, next is the Moray coast Path :D .
That 220 miles in 13 days and a brilliant walk though I would have struggled carrying a full pack and was grateful for my wife Cath's assistance on dropping me off and picking me up each day.
And Yes I would do it again as the scenery, whilst not that high altitude wise, it was superb walking, and a great challenge.

Iain the bargee
bargee
Mountaineer

Munros:9   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:77
Wainwrights:108   Islands:19

Re: SUW - DAY 13 -Longformas to the end or nearly - May 201

Postby bargee » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:12 pm

Updated the post with photos that display, I hope,
thanks to Water Gypsy for the PM, pointing out that the photos weren't viewing correctly.
bargee
Mountaineer

Munros:9   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:77
Wainwrights:108   Islands:19

Re: SUW - DAY 13 -Longformas to the end or nearly - May 201

Postby Gordie12 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:32 am

Congrats on doing a coast to coast!!

Really enjoyed all these reports and they have helped me to understand a bit more about the terrain for when my time comes around in June.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes