walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Skye Trail Advice for May

Skye Trail Advice for May

Postby gudmond » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:54 pm

Hello everyone,

I am wanting to do Skye trail this may and have given myself 8 days and plan to go South to North. I have experience backpacking doing the West Highland Way and some trail in America and in good shape.

I have never done a trail without it being well way marked. I think I am nervous as the grade is much harder than WHW. If I have GPS, Map & compass know how to use and in good shape will I be okay?

Is Skye Trail like way way way harder than WHW or will I be able to manage. Any advice on if this feels like an extreme jump in difficulty please let me know. I really have always dreamed of going to Skye so I am doing everything I can to study maps and read about the trail.

Thanks in advance.
gudmond
Scrambler

Re: Skye Trail Advice for May

Postby Glenshee » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:19 pm

I did the CW Trail in May 2016. I don't recall the walking being a great lot more difficult the WHW. What is different is the navigation needed and the lack of shops and accommodation on route.I camped with a Tarp the whole trail, though I stayed Glencoul Bothy; some go to Glendhu Bothy. From CW over to Durness the minibus does not run often then (check timetable) - I walked most of the road to Durness; also little boat ferry needed. If I remember right from Durness I took the morning post bus back to Lairg for the train.
Think carefully about resupplying; you might have to carry seven days food from Ullapool. Kearvaig Bothy is worth a trip after the CW Light house.
It is a great walk. I had great weather.Enjoy it
Glenshee
Scrambler

Postby Mal Grey » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:23 pm

Glenshee wrote:I did the CW Trail in May 2016. I don't recall the walking being a great lot more difficult the WHW. What is different is the navigation needed and the lack of shops and accommodation on route.I camped with a Tarp the whole trail, though I stayed Glencoul Bothy; some go to Glendhu Bothy. From CW over to Durness the minibus does not run often then (check timetable) - I walked most of the road to Durness; also little boat ferry needed. If I remember right from Durness I took the morning post bus back to Lairg for the train.
Think carefully about resupplying; you might have to carry seven days food from Ullapool. Kearvaig Bothy is worth a trip after the CW Light house.
It is a great walk. I had great weather.Enjoy it

Erm, different trail!, but to some extent the basic advice is true - more navigation needed, and more terrain which is wilder.

The northern end of the Skye Trail is across fairly trackless terrain, and the part down Glen Sligachan too is fairly remote. Resupplying in Portree should be easy.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby gudmond » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:37 pm

Awesome! I’m learning map and compass right now but this would be my first trip using it. I’m planning on bringing extra food Incase I get lost.

Any tips for navigating over there or other things I should know for an early may hike?

Also it’s looking like I would only have 5 days so any tips for which parts to skip? Not sure that is enough time to do it all.
gudmond
Scrambler

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion