walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Angles Way: 1. Knettishall - Diss

Postby jonathan - norfolk » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:01 pm

Date walked: 30/10/2016

Time taken: 0.5 days

Distance: 9 km

Ascent: 55m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Introduction

web Angles Way sign 0115.jpg
Angles Waymark

The Angles Way, for much of its length, follows river Waveney Valley which forms the border between Norfolk and Suffolk and is a truly excellent waterside walk. The extended route now also forms a link between Peddars Way at Knettishall Heath, and the Weavers Way at Great Yarmouth.

The Angles Way has had several alterations and improvements since it was devised in the late 1980's. Currently the main route is 78 miles long, (94 miles if the extension to Thetford following sections of the Ickneild Way and Iceni Way LDFPs are included).

An excellent little guide book to the route has been published by The Ramblers Association and is one that I would whole-heartedly recommend to anyone intending to complete the route, although it may now be difficult to get hold of a copy.

Since my circumstances don't currently allow me to put on a rucksack and walk from one end to the other in a single continuous journey, (always my preferred way of completing a long distance route) I propose to tackle the route by a series of much shorter walks; where possible by using public transport, devising circular walks, or being dropped off by some kind person at one end of a section and walking to my car parked at the other. Where needs must, then it will have to be by walking out and back completing some sections in both directions.
The result, inevitably, will be that I walk much further than the nominal 78 miles, but will see more of the adjacent countryside and villages which I see that as a positive thing.

Given that I shall do sections as and when convenient, rather than in any particular order, and that I shall probably end up doing between 10 and 20 short walks by the time that I eventually finish, I shall record my walks in four separate walk reports as follows:

Angles Way: 2. Diss - Homersfield
Angles Way: 3. Homersfield - Beccles
Angles Way: 4. Beccles - Great Yarmouth

Once I've completed a section I'll upload the report and edit and update it as I make further progress. I'm in no hurry though, but some of the short walks may be of interest to those taking walking holidays in the area. Section 4 The Beccles to Great Yarmouth section is the only section that I've completed to date, so don't look for the others yet.

Knettishall Heath Walk

There's plenty of good parking at Knettishall Heath, which is just as well because getting to the start by means of public transport is somewhat problematic. Good luck with that one!
The start of The Angles Way coincides with the junction of the ancient trackways of Ickneild Way and Peddar's Way. The extended route of the Angles Way to Thetford coincides with the Icknield Way for a few miles, and the Iceni Way all the way to Thetford.
web Angles Way sign Knettishall Heath 0114.jpg
Pick your LDFP! The start at Knettishall

The start is very pleasant, going through a section of Breckland Heath owned and managed by Suffolk Wildlife Trust.
A sandy track is followed past Riddlesworth Hall (now a school).
web Angles Way Riddlesworth Hall and Church 0117 edit.jpg
Riddlesworth Hall and Church

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Length: 2.42 miles 3.90 km Ascent: +13m -19m Naismith: 0h 48m (each way)
Completed 14th February 2018.

Diss - Roydon Fen circular

A very pleasant afternoon's circular walk that started and finished at the car park at Wortham Ling and included a visit to Diss and its' Mere, returning via Royden Fen.
Diss itself is a very picturesque country market town well worth a visit. There is an excellent little café at Fair Green.
web IMG_7317.jpg
Fair Green

web Angles Way Diss comp..jpg
Diss (composite)

web 7315 Diss The Mere.jpg
Diss: The Mere

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

About 3 miles/5kms of the Angles Way are included in this walk. Completed on 30th October 2016.
Last edited by jonathan - norfolk on Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:25 am, edited 7 times in total.
jonathan - norfolk
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:15
Fionas:11   Donalds:22
Hewitts:242
Wainwrights:214   Islands:3

Re: Angles Way: Diss Roydon Fen circular

Postby motorlaunch » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:07 pm

Not as long as some viewers of this forum might expect. I assume someone can put it into the correct category.
motorlaunch
Mountaineer

Re: Angles Way: 1. Knettishall - Diss

Postby jonathan - norfolk » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:03 am

It is in the right category, but I hadn't intended to post it, it was meant to be a draft! Sorry. It is still very much a report "in progress", and it's a long way to go despite my having added to it since it was originally posted. I have completed and uploaded a report on the final section: "Angles Way: 4 Somerleyton to Great Yarmouth" which may give you a better idea of my intentions. There's not a lot of information available on some of the East Anglian LDLPs, this one included.
Thanks for the comment, I've taken rather more care regarding uploading since, and I mark them as private until they're finished (or at least constitute sufficient length to be perceived as part of a Long Distance Path).
Last edited by jonathan - norfolk on Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
jonathan - norfolk
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:15
Fionas:11   Donalds:22
Hewitts:242
Wainwrights:214   Islands:3

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes