walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Winter EHW (4 days) by CZ eyes

Winter EHW (4 days) by CZ eyes

Postby Konik » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:08 pm

Route description: East Highland Way

Date walked: 11/02/2018

Time taken: 4 days

Distance: 134 km

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Started in Fort William next day after completing WHW. Walked in Inov8 running shoes and waterproof socks. Backpack with 3 days food weighting +- 16 kg (1.8 kg of it unnecessary boots).

Day 1: Surprisingly sunny weather, stunning views on snow-capped Nevis range, no people met after getting 5+ Kms out of FW. No stops made anywhere as I carried food for 3 days. Pleasant walk until approx. 24 km (few kms before Achnacoine ruins) where the path changed into mud. Official path also passed through farms but one of the farm gates was closed so I had to cross the boggs to get around (1 km). After +- 4 kms and easy river crossing close to the ruins, track got superb again. Camped in the forest just 2 kms from Fersit (by hydro plant) (37 kms)
Day 2: Snowing at night, still raining in the morning, condensation in tent. Late start at 11.00 because rain was getting better every minute. Sun came out after 5 kms so I dried dump sleeping bag a bit. Mix of showers, snow and sunny weather all day. Saw huge pack of deer just before Loch Laggan. Again, stunning views on Loch that reminded me Alaska a bit. Camped at eastern shore of loch +- 400m off the official path (26 kms).
Day 3: Again snowing at night, frosty morning with tent surroundings under snow. Boring parts on the main road but sunny all the way to Laggan. Shop closed and heavy snow came right after escaping the main road again. Entering the moor with sun out again but it got very windy there. Weather worsened rapidly before reaching the bothy with strong wind and snow. Being early there (14:30), I decided to continue to Newtonmore. Boggy, windy and cold part of the day as my feet got wet again quickly :) Cozy hostel in Newtonmore with only 1 other guest, mountaineer from England. Discussed a lot of topics with him that evening ;) (29 kms).
Day 4: Started fresh after spendind the night in warmth half an hour after dawn (8:45) with long day ahead to Aviemore. Sunny weather, feet wet after first 3 kms due to fresh snow fallen at night. Talked with a friend on a phone for an hour in Kinguisse so faster pace was necessary afterwards. Mostly pleasant walk with few navigation issues (using GPS and map in mobile phone!). An elderly couple met close to Kincraig - they called me crazy walking in shorts :)) A bit annoyed after realizing the final 15 km stretch to Aviemore is not direct but took me to the south first. So surprised after few minutes having reached pine woods around the lochs with sunset approaching - the most beautiful scenery of the last day despite getting more and more cold. Reached Aviemore at 17:10 (40 kms), took final photo and train to Inverness shortly. What a great experience! Scotland never disappoints! Petr (Czech republic)
Konik

Re: Winter EHW (4 days) by CZ eyes

Postby mylesmcs » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:48 am

Hi Konik,

Many thanks for the report really good to read of someone doing/enjoying the way so close to my departure date. I'm starting the EHW and Speyside Way this coming Saturday (3 March).

Sounds like you were rather lucky with the weather compared to the weeks around your hike. I did the Rob Roy Way in January and got hammered by snow and ice.

Will get my report of the EHW/SW up as soon as I'm back :)
mylesmcs
Backpacker

Munros:9   
Sub 2000:1   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes