walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Watershed of Scotland, Part 6 Parlan Hill to Crianlarich

The Watershed of Scotland, Part 6 Parlan Hill to Crianlarich

Postby rohan » Sun May 13, 2018 10:22 pm

Date walked: 27/10/2017

Time taken: 2 days

Distance: 30 km

Ascent: 2703m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Coming to write my next report on my Watershed journey I discovered that I had totally missed writing up the section from Parlan Hill to Crianlarich Whoops. So here it is in Summary
Munros covered Beinn Chabhair, An Caistealm Beinn a'Chroin and Cruach Ardrain
I grabbed a window of good weather and zoomed back to Bein Ghlas by bus. Unfortunately, the weather window was more of a letterbox flap and after a brief period of sunshine, shut with a blast of wind and rain. However, I did have an amazing early morning on the top of An Casteil, after a misty Bhein Chabhair the previous day. By Beinn a' Chroin I was being severly buffeted and a fellow walker advised that the forecast was for it to worsen . My next hill was to be Cruach Ardrain so I decided to walkout down by the river Falloch. I was fortunate to get a lift down to The Drovers where I could catch the bus back to Glasgow.
It's an ill wind blows that blows nobody any good and I was able to return just before the end of the year and completed the final section over Cruach Ardrain in absolutely stunning conditions. Cruach Ardrain has 3 rivers rising on it, The Forth (which I bid good bye to here, it having been my campanion on the North Sea side since Craigengar back in the Pentlands,) whilst I say hello to the River Tay. The Clyde is still on the Atlantic side and will be until Be Lui.
I was able to take my DSLR on the day trip to Cruach Ardrain but it being extremely cold I failed to notice that my lens fogged.iced up each time I took it out and I have very few non blurry photos from that beautiful day.
I love a good winter with lots of snow but being fickle, not when I am trying to walk the Watershed and the sheer amount of snow and frequent high risks of avalanches I was unable to do the walk from Crianlarich over Dubhcraig, Oss and Lui to Tyndrum until April , report to follow shortly
Days on Watershed - 2
Distance on Watershed 14.4km (9 miles)
Distance wqlked off the Watershed 16 km (10 miles)
Total Watershed miles 391km (254m) which represents a total 1/3rd of the route
Attachments
IMG_20171026_095132669 Watershed to North Sea copy.jpg
Watershed between Parlan Hill and Beinn Chabhair looking to the North Sea
IMG_20171026_095140007 Watershed  to the Atlantic copy.jpg
Watershed between Parlan Hill and Beinn Chabhair looking to the Atlantic
IMG_20171026_111916398 Ben Lomond copy.jpg
Looking back to Ben Lomiond
IMG_20171026_123001529 Summit Beinn Chabhair copy.jpg
Beinn Chabhair summit
IMG_20171027_072355041 copy.jpg
Early morning
IMG_20171027_090756301 boiling clouds copy.jpg
Descending ridge of An Caisteal
IMG_20171027_092705487 SUmmit A C copy.jpg
An Caisteal summit
IMG_20171027_093228016 Pano from An Caisteal copy.jpg
Panorama from An Caisteal
IMG_20171027_114439339 Bheinmn Chabhair copy.jpg
Beinn Chabhair
IMG_20171027_120643886 Summit Beinn a Chroin copy.jpg
Summit Beinn a'Chroin
IMG_4218 copy.jpg
Morning Alpenglow on Dubhcraig and Oss
IMG_4222 Stob Glas Bheag and Stob Glas copy.jpg
Stob Glas Bheag and Stob Glas
IMG_4226 Stob Glas Beag copy.jpg
Ice on the crags of Stob Bheag on way up Cruach Ardrain
IMG_4239 Moon over An Caisteal copy.jpg
Monn over An Caisteal
IMG_4243 Moon over the Watershed copy.jpg
Moon over the Watershed
IMG_4245 across to Oss, Dubchraig and Lui copy.jpg
View to Dubhcraig , Oss and Lui
Untitled_Panorama1 copy.jpg

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

rohan

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes